Hospital

Hospital

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Hospital
Old 04-08-2019, 07:56 AM

Default Hospital

We need another hospital. The problem is staffing and doctors to operate another hospital. How does a 300 bed hospital handle over 100,000 people? I have been at TV hospital many many times in 15 years. Some good and some very bad experiences in the ER waiting. I agree they need to open the Urgent care back up and have a doctor in triage look at you and decide if Urgent Care could take care of you. I go to Urgent Care and they call the ambulance to transfer me so I just go to the ER now. I have a major heart disease. What do we do when our family only drives a golf cart to visit us? Thank you

Old 04-08-2019, 10:05 AM

I think if I had major heart disease I would consider moving to Gainesville. Excellent Shands Hospital. U of Florida health care cutting edge. Cost of living in that area is low to moderate. Very nice college town about the same size as The Villages in population.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2019, 12:16 PM

Shands rate 3 out of a 5 rating. Not that great
Old 04-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

a middling 3 out of 5 looks good from here, TV is a 1 , the bottom 6%. I agree that if I had serious health issues, I'd be looking elsewhere
Searcy, AR
Village of St.James, The Villages, FL
Old 04-08-2019, 01:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We don't need another Hospital we need the people who are able to go to urgent care to use them. There are more then enough in the area. The problem comes in with insurance so the ER gets used as a clinic instead of an ER. I rode an Ambulance on Long Island trust me the same BS. Your going to get me right in right, nope you'll wait your turn. Ah man that sucks. Why not go to the urgent care oh I don't have insurance or my insurance won't cover that!
Old 04-08-2019, 02:10 PM

We need people who promise not to get sick!
Old 04-08-2019, 02:25 PM
Sage

Complete physicals, prior to being 'allowed' to purchase a new house...may soon be coming.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerosy View Post
. How does a 300 bed hospital handle over 100,000 people?
The average bed to population ratio in the US is 280 beds to 100,000 population (2015 stats). There are other hospitals besides Villages Hospital so it looks like hospital beds are in the ballpark here.

I'm not saying that's a good ratio but we are not out of line with the country as a whole.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:09 PM

Are those stats referring to retirement aged population?
Old 04-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Are those stats referring to retirement aged population?
That'd be my #1 concern. Older people have more medical concerns, OR are at a greater risk for more medical concerns. You don't see a lot of 40-year-olds breaking hips, having heart attacks, strokes, emphasyma, shingles, back problems, gout, arthritis. These things happen more often to older people than younger.

Yes there are always exceptions, and yes I'm sure everyone knows a guy or had an aunt who lived to be 106 without ever seeing a doctor. That's not typical though, and everyone knows it. All things being equal, 300 beds might be great for the "average 100,000 people". But it might not be great for "100,000 mostly seniors."

I don't know if it is great or not, but it doesn't seem the same statistics can be equally applied.

Tags
hospital, care, urgent, transfer, decide