Hospital Question

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2022, 03:58 PM

Ambulance is required to take a critical to the nearest facility
Old 12-16-2022, 08:21 PM

If it’s a medical emergency, they should transport to the closest hospital. It wouldn’t be fair to other people if you’re tired up ambulance unnecessarily.
Old 12-16-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGirl View Post
You can tell the diver where you want to go. However, a serious heart issue will mean they would have to be taken to a trauma unit.
A qualified YES to the above quote, only the hospital has some ability to accept/decline the situation given their current situation in ER depending on level of care needed and the distance to available same level of care. If they are swamped/overwhelmed/lacking beds, the can accept or decline acceptance UNLESS the level of care required demands otherwise. The receiving hospital has the final call in accepting any run that is not life threatening.
Old 12-17-2022, 07:12 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default NYC and Boston hospitals ARE THE BEST for special care in Northeast and south in USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
From my experience with the Villages Hospital, it would be way quicker to drive someone to Boston or NYC if you were looking for faster (and actually get competent) treatment.
That is why flotida is not the best state for special care. which leave me to say think twice before you move there.
Old 12-17-2022, 07:20 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default Not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmspla1952 View Post
I have a question please if anyone knows the answer.
If I/husband have a serious medical issue (stroke/shock/heart attack) and an ambulance is called, I was told that we would not be able to request being taken to another hospital but MUST be brought to The Villages Hospital.
Does anyone know if that is correct?
Thank You.
They took me to Leesburg on request
Old 12-17-2022, 11:41 AM

Last night the ambulance team (marion county) asked us where we wanted to take my father in law. We said the closest hospital is The Villages. They said The Villages is full right now with 40 people waiting in the ER. They said it might be worth the 20 minute ride to Leesburg or Ocala. We chose Ocala. We thought about the new Advent Health in Belleview which is an ER but they don't have beds. Maybe it would be a different protocol for a more serious emergency.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Personally if you could get them to Jacksonville, Florida Mayo Clinic that where I would go, but it’s an emergency you my not have choice. I had a terrible experience at TV hospital too!
Old 12-17-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
On Nov 27th a friend called me to state that due to a unknown medical condition that was discovered during a routine doctor’s appointment, she was sent by ambulance to Leesburg. She is the sole and capable caregiver of her severely disabled husband. I live in the Marion County section of The Villages but possessed the only key to the house. It was late afternoon and my friend had been sitting in a recliner since 9 am.
When I entered the home, found him (a very large man ) sitting in the recliner that would not go upright with out a manual assist from a person shoving from the back. He was unclothed from the waist down to facilitate the use of a couple urinals. He was pasty looking, large amount of bilateral edema and short of breath even while speaking. I had not seen him in a couple years.
I phoned their doctor who instructed me to call 911 for an ambulance and send him to Leesburg. She would call ER to inform to expect him. Since he was stable at this time I called the non emergency sheriff’s office and requested no fire truck-but ambulance and that per doctor’s order he was to be transported to Leesburg.

When the ambulance arrived, the personnel questioned my friend if the edema and shortness of breath were of recent onset. He said no and they refused transportation. I said that I had to leave. They told me that someone else was probably dying because they were at his house. I replied that he had a cell phone and if he was still in that physical condition trapped in a broken recliner with just snacks and two urinals, I would call 911 again. They said they would come and leave again. When I said I would call again, they threatened to call the sheriff and have me arrested. I then told them I would request the ordering doctor to call and it they could charge her.
They said if they took him, he would be turned around -sent home- He would have to pay every penny for not only the ambulance but the entire hospital bill. His condition was deteriorating and he said he was getting very dizzy and begged to go to the hospital. Their reasoning was that I used the non emergency number and said doctor advised an ambulance and he should have used a paid service. They spent at least a half hour arguing.
After placing him on the stretcher, I assumed they would preserve his dignity and cover him at least with a paper sheet. Nope a nearby hand towel was used for his manly areas. He was breathing like a blow fish out of the water- no 02 offered or head of stretcher placed in upright position.
Friends walked by him later in the ER on their way to visit his wife and he looked so bad they didn’t recognize him. He was clad in hand towel only.

The end of the story is after the doctors examined him and told the wife he was a “real mess”, he was admitted for five days- his wife for four days.
He needed help. Trapped in a broken chair, unable to move for hours in poor condition. I am glad I was there to see that he finally had assistance.
Not much more to say about your great new ambulance service.
This is so sad. I'm glad you were there to help.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Not in the Villages but in Fl. Auto accident. Ambulance driver told me there were 3 hospitals close by that could handle me and I could pick the one I wanted.
Old 12-17-2022, 03:51 PM

So, let me see if I got this right:
There’s seems that we don’t have good hospital (going by past post/replies) in the area (The Villages) and now if one wants ti be transported elsewhere most likely staying in the area?
The Villages with all its beauty (homes, grounds/golf courses, shopping and let’s not forget entertainment) does not have a good medical facility or a way to at least take someone to a different hospital?
Old 12-17-2022, 04:06 PM

Not true, Leesburg is where you want to go for anything cardiac. Someone who had a heart attack this week was taken to Leesburg. Leesburg is known in central FL as they place to go for anything cardiac.
Old 12-17-2022, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabella View Post
From my experience this past August do not go to the villages hospital . I don’t understand why this hospital is still open?
People should probably stop referring to that place as a Hospital, that’s giving it way more credit than it deserves.
Old 12-17-2022, 04:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,706 Times in 761 Posts

After Medicare ambulance was $270. More than AmR charged. Leesburg treatment was excellent. People need to stop complaining about it
Old 12-17-2022, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,303 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea N View Post
This is true. My husband had a stroke almost 4 years ago. I didn't want my husband to go to The Villages Hospital but the ambulance drivers insisted. He ended up being airlifted to Shands in Gainsville. Since then Shands has bought The Villages Hospital. I don't know how equipped it is for serious trauma/injury now that it is owned by Shands.
Shands, Leesburg, Villages are all owned by UF. The Shands family of hospitals do not own TV or Leesburg. Shands, Jacksonville and North Central Florida are the not for profit systems and the systems include 10 hospitals of which The Villages and Leesburg are two.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-18-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmota View Post
So, let me see if I got this right:
There’s seems that we don’t have good hospital (going by past post/replies) in the area (The Villages) and now if one wants ti be transported elsewhere most likely staying in the area?
The Villages with all its beauty (homes, grounds/golf courses, shopping and let’s not forget entertainment) does not have a good medical facility or a way to at least take someone to a different hospital?
Lets just say you do not move to TV for the hospital care and that is probably the last thing you have on your mind when you see TV. If you are elderly, and you want to move to Florida, buy into a community around Jacksonville and you can access several very good hospitals with the best being Mayo Clinic.

I was referred to Mayo for kidney problems and was a patient there for three long years and the driving back and forth was a pain in the you know where. I could not be treated locally.

However, my husband had excellent treatment at The Village hospital for both cancer and heart. We were also very fortunate to have a very good GP and Cardiologist.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospital, question, correct, request, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.