Hospital rating

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2019, 04:13 AM
Default Hospital rating

How is it possible for the Villages regional hospital to have such poor ratings. One star? Three friends said don't ever go there including a doctor and his wife who is a nurse. They appear to be understaffed. The doctor had to insist the nurse read his chart to get his meds on time. This place is a disgrace. How can the Villages allow this to ho on?
Old 04-15-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolff View Post
How is it possible for the Villages regional hospital to have such poor ratings. One star? Three friends said don't ever go there including a doctor and his wife who is a nurse. They appear to be understaffed. The doctor had to insist the nurse read his chart to get his meds on time. This place is a disgrace. How can the Villages allow this to ho on?
The only hospitals within 50 miles of the 32162 zip code with more than a two-star CMS rating do not offer emergency services. The ratings have a lot to do with how the ratings are calculated and demographics. The newer CMS ratings methodology is not kind to hospitals with a large medicaid/medicare population. Readmission rates also contribute to the ratings and our population is older with more chronic issues that are not entirely "curable" which oftentimes leads to additional complications.

Medicare Hospital Compare Results

I am not suggesting there isn't room for improvement but it's not like The Villages Regional Hospital is an outlier in this area. The problem is the broader Villages community is underserved. Many hospitals and health networks are "for-profit" and the large medicare population simply is not an attractive market for competition. The community needs more facilities and staff but in order for that to happen there needs to be a sufficiently compelling economic incentive. Like it or not, that's the way our healthcare system works.

Until people stop moving to The Villages due to lagging healthcare facilities and/or poor care the developer is also not likely to take this challenge on alone. The Villages has grown tremendously over the last 15 years and is likely to continue its phenomenal expansion. When is the last time a new hospital was constructed within the community?

Last edited by GoPacers; 04-15-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
I gather from your post that you personally, and probably no one in your family unit has had to use the hospital. Therefore I really feel you have no right to comment or judge the hospital.

Please cite your sources. i.e. Names of the three friends and name of the doctor and his nurse wife. Also need to know the reason the three friends were in the hospital and the reason the doctor and his wife denigrated the hospital.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 04-15-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Do a search, many threads with lots of opinions.
I hope they are all not rehashed on this thread.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I gather from your post that you personally, and probably no one in your family unit has had to use the hospital. Therefore I really feel you have no right to comment or judge the hospital.

Please site your sources. i.e. Names of the three friends and name of the doctor and his nurse wife. Also need to know the reason the three friends were in the hospital and the reason the doctor and his wife denigrated the hospital.
Of course this person has a right to express his/her opinion. As for sources, there are a myriad of threads here, and articles in newspapers, and data websites for hospital organizations, explaining that yes - the Villages Regional Hospital has horrible ratings, and why it has horrible ratings.

You can also find many anecdotes right here on this forum, and on those other websites, from people who claim to have had really bad experiences. Are those anecdotes true? I don't know.

But to say this person has no right to express his opinion is myopic and narrowminded, at best. It's like saying that if you were never assaulted with a blunt weapon, then you have no right to express your opinion about assault with a blunt weapon.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Do a search, many threads with lots of opinions.

I hope they are all not rehashed on this thread.
Why not?

What's wrong with folks "rehashing" previous subjects...if they so choose?

Provided of course...they follow site guidelines/rules.

The great part about TOTV, is that no one forces anyone else...to read or respond to any thread or post.

That even (rightfully) applies, to 'rehashed complaints/griping'...of rehashed subjects.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:09 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

We should all be grateful to have such a caring and professional hospital near TV. Snowbirds put a strain on all facilities here, wonder what rating their northern hospital has?
Old 04-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Sage

Everyone has a right to their opinion BUT this is the first post of the OP so one has to wonder the reasonings behind the post. There has been a plethora of comments having to do with TVRH and it's care. But that said, healthcare in this country is changing. You will hear complaints from cities no matter where you live AND you will hear applause as well for the care given. It's all a matter of perspective and experience. I for one, am grateful for TVRH and the fact we do NOT have to travel a long distance. I've been in the ER multiple times and have had two surgeries plus several hospital stays there. The care each time was very good! Just know that everyone should either be their own self advocate or have someone who can do it for them.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Everyone has a right to their opinion BUT this is the first post of the OP so one has to wonder the reasonings behind the post. There has been a plethora of comments having to do with TVRH and it's care. But that said, healthcare in this country is changing. You will hear complaints from cities no matter where you live AND you will hear applause as well for the care given. It's all a matter of perspective and experience. I for one, am grateful for TVRH and the fact we do NOT have to travel a long distance. I've been in the ER multiple times and have had two surgeries plus several hospital stays there. The care each time was very good! Just know that everyone should either be their own self advocate or have someone who can do it for them.
Nicely put NotGolfer!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-15-2019, 04:51 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I appreciate an opinion, based on actual experiences!
Old 04-15-2019, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
We should all be grateful to have such a caring and professional hospital near TV. Snowbirds put a strain on all facilities here, wonder what rating their northern hospital has?
We have a lot of hospitals in Connecticut. Here are the ones I checked, because I'm familiar with their names (I only actually use two of them but Connecticut is a very small state and these are all within a 30-minute drive of each other):
Bristol, Middlesex, Griffin, and Milford: 4 out of 5 stars.
Midstate, Central, St. Mary's, and Yale: 3 out of 5 stars.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Opinions based on hearsay and no understanding of the facts are permitted in a free society. Posts like this do not ,however, serve any useful purpose. Facts , not hearsay, exaggeration, and ignorance are what is needed to improve any less than optimum situation. If one wishes to make such harmful statements , it might be useful to do some real research, first.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:45 PM

I have been in TVRH and will not go back. I just got out of Leesburgh Regional after 6 days and will go there again if needed.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:48 PM

Are you saying you are not moving? If you are bring one of them here with you. You can go to Ocala to Ocala regional, Munroe Regional or to Taveres to Watermann, Orlando has many fine hospitals also. It is service vs distance. You make the choice.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:52 PM

I believe that people with current experience with these hospitals should be considered valid. Otherwise people who just quote others at face value do not allow for any improvement made.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospital, villages, nurse, doctor, understaffed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.