Dentures - Yes or No?

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2013, 06:12 AM
Veteran member
Default Dentures - Yes or No?

An elderly family member is having lots of trouble with his teeth, needs to have 4 teeth pulled and several bridges made, etc. I'm thinking maybe dentures is a better solution as this procedure is very expensive and drawn out. But some people say dentures are awful and should be avoided at all costs, others say its a good solution. What do you think?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 AM
Sage

i think dentures are a good solution provided they are done right. Shop around, get recommendations for a good dentist. Some of them will try to sell him implants, probably not a good idea at his age.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

if one has a choice to retain most of the teeth then they should do just that.
Dentures may be a percieved less expensive solution but there are other consequences that come with no teeth.

The most significant is when there are no roots from teeth in the jawbone, it begings to deteriorate and shrink in size. This results can be a jaw bone so thin enough to eventually require jaw bone repair......major reconstruction surgery. And most of it is not covered by medicare.

If you have the ooportunity to retain most of your teeth and have implants put in to retain bridges, that is one of the best solutions as implants in the jaw bone have the same effect as thr root of a tooth.

We have been through the jaw bone deterioration experience with a family member. The reconstruction surgery is a MAJOR event.

Most dental care providers will (or should) advise against removing healthy teeth.

All the above is based on my opening few words.....if one has a choice.

btk
Old 04-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
if one has a choice to retain most of the teeth then they should do just that.
Dentures may be a percieved less expensive solution but there are other consequences that come with no teeth.

The most significant is when there are no roots from teeth in the jawbone, it begings to deteriorate and shrink in size. This results can be a jaw bone so thin enough to eventually require jaw bone repair......major reconstruction surgery. And most of it is not covered by medicare.

If you have the ooportunity to retain most of your teeth and have implants put in to retain bridges, that is one of the best solutions as implants in the jaw bone have the same effect as thr root of a tooth.

We have been through the jaw bone deterioration experience with a family member. The reconstruction surgery is a MAJOR event.

Most dental care providers will (or should) advise against removing healthy teeth.

All the above is based on my opening few words.....if one has a choice.

btk
I totally agree. Even when a person has dentures there may be the need for implants. As you stated, the recession of bone can cause the denture to not fit and I have seen cases in which there was almost no lower bone at all...when you look at an impression it is almost completely flat. This is when the dentist may recommend 'mini' implants which will attach to the lower denture and allow a much better bite. We had a distant relative that drove 200 miles to see Steve because the lower denture he had would not stay in and he couldn't eat and his current dentist couldn't help. Steve put in two implants with attachments and we received a call a few months later telling us that he was eating corn on the cob and apples. He was so happy...by the way, he was 85 at the time. If you have a good dentist, listen to what they have to say. If you don't trust them, get a second opinion.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Sage

Dental implants, while expensive, would be the way to go! I have them and it's been a wonderful solution!!!!!!

I have family members who have dentures and believe me they don't replace teeth. I've seen folks not wear their "teeth" because of the discomfort (it must be bad to do this). I do know that eating is also difficult.

We once had a neighbor, now deceased, who never wore her dentures (upper and lower) unless she was going "out". So if you chatted in the yard with her, she had that horrible "look" that folks have with no teeth. It was comical in a way but I felt sorry for her.

I don't care what folks say about "if you find a 'good' dentist, you'll get a 'good' fit!!" My dentists ALL have recommended the implant way to do it. They also (for folks who've already gone this route) do implants on the back for the denture to attach to that works pretty well!!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I forgot to mention for those who do not have a choice and must have all their teeth out for what ever reason...do consider what some refer to as "fixed" dentures. A series of implants are put in the top and lower jaw sufficient to hold the new denture. Probably 4-6 in each jaw...many can do it with 4.
The denture, especially for the top is nothing ,ore than a row of teeth in the pink looking gum material that that is attatched to the implants. The real biggie for old style denture wearers is there is no big old chunk of plastic covering the roof of the mouth. The bottom is secured the same way.

Big advantages? With the roof of the mouth open as natural eating becomes almost as with real teeth. They are in permanently....no more taking them out at night or when ever. Yes there is more personal maintenance with tooth brush and water pick....but those who have them are more than happy to do the required maintenance.

These "fixed" dentures including the implants become a very pricey investment. Our family member chose to go this way and worked out some kind of arrangements to pay for it. Now 3 years hence she would tell you she would do it again at 3 times the price.

If you have to do it at least give this option a look......it may well be the best investment of your life.

btk
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.