Houston I believe we have a problem

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2020, 07:56 AM

The key is not so much the number of tests coming back positive but in the PERCENTAGE of tests that are positive.
Obviously more testing is sure to result in more positive numbers but we need to look at the percentage numbers to
get the real picture of how the virus is spreading.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:02 AM

Thank you❤️
Old 06-13-2020, 08:14 AM

If you don't want to go places, don't go, but don't tell me where I can go. I am not going to give up doing what gives me pleasure. There may never be a vaccine in my lifetime.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:14 AM

Ask yourself why...the US has 3% of the world's population but 30% of the deaths due to covid
Old 06-13-2020, 08:19 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5001 View Post
To each their own. I don't criticize people who want to wear masks and keep isolated.
I do not wear masks because for me 1. It's difficult for me to breath.
2. I believe masks do not do any good, especially when I see people wearing them below their noses or on their chins.
Those most at risk wouldn’t need to stay quite so isolated if everyone wore a mask. The mask is to protect others from you more than you from them. That’s been the main point from day one. No one knows if they are Presymptomatic and asymptomatic and both can spread the virus, the mask dramatically reduces that. They are finding now that wearing one provides more protection to the wearer than first thought, but the primary reason is still to protect others. Why would you not want to do that just because it is a little hard to breathe?
Old 06-13-2020, 08:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forebubba View Post
Ask yourself why...the US has 3% of the world's population but 30% of the deaths due to covid
For starters, this guy is a big fat liar.

ap_20070377919994-640x480-png
Old 06-13-2020, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

Just because someone tests positive, doesn't mean that they are going to die from it.
A person can be positive, and not even know it.
So with this in mind...….

I'm not afraid
I'm not worried
I really don't give a damn,

and

I'm getting on with LIVING!!!
Old 06-13-2020, 08:25 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
How many have been actually tested though. The number is likely quite higher, which means the number that get critically ill from this virus, even at our age, must be pretty low because those would have been reported. I think the real risk is if you have a history of asthma, COPD, diabetes, etc. I was in the super conservative camp through most of this, but now I am wondering if we went too far. I will still be cautious because I have a history of asthma, but not sure the world should stop to protect me. At this point, maybe we should each just protect ourselves as we think necessary and let others do the same.
But to clarify, that doesn’t mean I believe we should not take reasonable steps to protect each other. Things can open up and start getting back to somewhat normal and still be taking precautions like social distancing and wearing masks.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

People are becoming complacent. They are tired of this virus but this virus isn’t tired of us. No nation can endure a lockdown forever and it is inevitable that businesses and attractions would open. Because they have, the number of cases has risen. It was recently Memorial Day gatherings and now protests where people have been in close contact that likely is the reason the numbers are increasing. Let’s not forget the recent space launch where people ignored social distancing. Gov DeSantis said yesterday in his press conference that it has been young people who typically can fight off the virus that account for the increase. The problem with that is that they become seeds that scatter to older, at risk people. So, if this virus does what is anticipated, I suspect we will see an uptick in older populations within the next few weeks. As for an increase because of testing, that isn’t exactly accurate, and WHO’s irresponsible message that masks aren’t necessary has been contradicted by so many Infectious Disease experts.

We each get to choose our level of comfort. If you are at risk, stay home. If you choose to go out and about, be smart about it. So, I will do what is best for myself which is to only go out when necessary and to interact only with a small circle of friends who agree to wear masks if we gather. And, most importantly, I will wear a mask when it is necessary to go out. I respectfully request that others wear masks when going out and about as well. It is the responsible and kind thing to do. We can get through this difficult time. We are resilient and intelligent. We may have more cases in the US than any other country, but we also have a much larger population too so that is no surprise. Hang in there everyone, respect one another. We will get through this.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milling73 View Post
People going out and about in every state signifies the general acceptance of the virus risk.

People need and want to resume their lives.
The stay-home, shutdown didn’t eradicate the virus, at the most it only slowed it down.
In the meantime the virus will spread until it runs its course, or herd immunity evolves, or a vaccine is developed.
Slowing it down was the goal (flatten the curve, remember?). Now they are trying to move the goal posts. I believe it may be God's judgement on a sinful nation. But, if anyone doesn't believe in God and prefers the Darwinian explanation for our existence, let's open everything up and let "survival of the fittest" play out. That's what the schools teach our kids. Hiding from the virus is practically hypocritical. Open everything. Take off the masks. Shake hands when you meet someone. A polite hug / cheek kiss when you meet the relatives. Let's get back to normal.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
There will not be another lock down.
Don’t count on it.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Lots of first time posters.......
Old 06-13-2020, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 024engine View Post
I am not going to give up doing what gives me pleasure. There may never be a vaccine in my lifetime.
Keep that up and it’s almost certain you won’t benefit from a vaccine in your lifetime.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
Just because someone tests positive, doesn't mean that they are going to die from it.
A person can be positive, and not even know it.
So with this in mind...….

I'm not afraid
I'm not worried
I really don't give a damn,

and

I'm getting on with LIVING!!!
That’s fine, but if your living involves close encounters with me, you better give a damn and wear a mask. Of course, if you’re just another selfish, entitled Villager, that ain’t going to happen.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts
Default Vaccines

The reason nothing closes with the common flu is that there is a vaccine available annually, anti vaccine group that choose not to receive it suffer consequences
Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
There is absolutely no reason not to reopen schools. I am at my northern home for the summer and I'm out and about every day. Kids are grouping like crazy. They are playing football, basketball, tennis, and other sports. They have crowded the beaches. There is zero social distancing by kids, so there is no reason to not reopen schools in the fall. Older teachers or kids with immunity problems may have to be protected, but not most kids.

If some doctors are correct, that COVID-19 is not being passed by asymptomatic people, and since kids rarely have a serious reaction to the disease, there seems little risk to not keeping them apart. Yes, occasionally a kid will have a serious reaction and could even die, but that happens with the flu too and we never close schools for the flu.
Closed Thread

Tags
problem, back, cases, houston, recorded

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.