How Affordable Care Plan is Working in some states

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Sage

OK. Pay them minimum wage, keep them hungry and on their knees, but for the love of God we that have made it in this tough economy must do whatever we can to insure every American has proper health care and not some inner city emergency room only when death is imminent. We in this country seem to celebrate the fact that we have millions of well educated and hard working people that cannot afford healthcare insurance for their families.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

///
Old 07-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjbud View Post
My only complaint about the affordable care act is that it does not go far enough. The U.S. is the only developed country that does not have a universal, single-payer system. Canada, Japan, Australia, and most European countries have such systems. By any objective measure, they spend less on health care than the U.S. and achieve far better results. Those opposed to such a system for the U.S. will dwell on the occasional horror stories about poor care under these systems, while ignoring the poor care, high costs and unnecessary procedures which are a regular part of our dysfunctional health care system.
Don't forget to ask, "what else makes those countries the same, and why are they not the economic powerhouse that we are?" (Well, not lately, but usually) Compare gross domestic product, for example. The healthcare system you choose may have an effect on the whole economic system.

Last edited by Villages PL; 07-19-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Sage
What is the alternative to the Affordable Care Act? For the past four years, all we hear is repeal and replace. Where is the replacement plan? Was it the plan that was so popular a year ago that did away with Medicare and instead gave people vouchers to go buy their own insurance? What happened to that idea?

Criticism of the ACA would be much more viable if there was an alternative plan to compare it with.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
What is the alternative to the Affordable Care Act? For the past four years, all we hear is repeal and replace. Where is the replacement plan? Was it the plan that was so popular a year ago that did away with Medicare and instead gave people vouchers to go buy their own insurance? What happened to that idea?

Criticism of the ACA would be much more viable if there was an alternative plan to compare it with.
http://paulryan.house.gov/healthcare/
Old 07-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
If it costs more for everyone to have coverage, then I am all for it. You must separate medical care from luxury material, medical is a necessity not a bigger house or fancier car. The greed for more more more must be replaced with common decency for our fellow man. I know people that drive a Mercedes but will not help the less fortunate with basic survival.
golfingnut - an honest and liberal enough emotion...but...in the city where i live, we taxpayers believe that our state and federal taxes are paying for quite a bit for our less fortunate bretheren and are saying enough, enough, enough!

i do resent those who want a larger monthly welfare check - bad enough they are irate that their allowance now comes on a plastic debit card that does not buy unauthorized items! i want a larger social security check and cola adjustment in my pension, too. difference is, i worked 40 yrs to earn my govt handout and pension.

i resent those who will not lift a finger to help themselves. i do resent the fraud that is rampant in the food stamp and other social aid programs - that our elected officials refuse to eliminate. how is it that the work truck for the flooring business is parked in a local driveway overnite [nite after nite and wknds] has pa tags and a pa tele number and local address on the truck? why is it not registered in the state of nj? why don't the local police enforce the required change in registration? i do resent those who cross our border illegally in search of a better life by taking advantage of what this country has to offer. why can't they do it legally as my ancestors did?

how much must a person pay to be considered a decent member of society? do we shortchange our families and our lifestyle to support another family and their lifestyle? where do you suggest we draw the line? how much do those folks who own the mercedes pay in taxes that get siphoned to help others with basic survival?

Old 07-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Sage

I wonder if those that are so anxious for the rest of us to GIVE more in the form of taxes volunteer more of their own money than is owed on April 15th to help all these folks. You always have the option of adding of few thousand to your tax bill to help those in need - it's your right as an American citizen.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Sounds a lot like the Affordable Care Act to me.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
If the Massachusetts Health Care Law (passed in 2006) was so wonderful, why is it that no other state followed their example? Everything was worked out so they had the MA template. But there were no takers.

Several years later, the federal government comes along and says, in effect, "if no one likes it, we will force it on everyone". Isn't that what it boils down to?

Other states do not have innovative, forward thinking governors like Governor Mitt Romney to get these plans passed. Texas, for example, would like to keep 50% of its residents uninsured, even though TX has some of the best healthcare in the country. Mississippi insists on being 50 out of 50 for providing healthcare to it's residents.

It's all about what standard of living or what quality of life people choose.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.