Hydrate with Fruit infused water

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2019, 08:50 AM
Default Hydrate with Fruit infused water

Come and learn the importance of hydration in preventing kidney failure, reducing headache and preventing muscle cramps. You will also hear the benefits of fruit- infused water and have the opportunity to taste a sample for yourself.

The Villages Regional Hospital - Private Dining Room —Thursday, October 24, 12:00 —1:00 PM

** RSVP required - call 352-323-4291 or email:
healthyus@centflhealth.org

Last edited by JSR22; 10-18-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Sage

My personal trainer told me to hydrate with coconut water for leg cramps--it works, ain't cheap
Old 10-18-2019, 09:39 AM
Gold member

What is wrong with plain old water?
Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
What is wrong with plain old water?
Depends on the source of the water, and whether or not you use fluoridated toothpaste.

Natural spring water has naturally-occurring fluoride in it, but possibly not enough to keep your teeth healthy. So you'd need to use fluoridated toothpaste for that.

Tap water (in most parts of the USA) has its fluoride content regulated, but also typically has other stuff added to it (such as chlorine), and in some parts of the country (like Flint, Michigan) also contains toxins such as lead, which may or may not be palatable/safe.

Filtered tap water will reduce the risk of contaminants as long as you keep the filter maintained. But it might not taste any better than its unfiltered counterpart.

Drinking ONLY citrus-infused water means you're exposing your teeth to a LOT of citric acid, and that can be harmful to your teeth since it washes through your mouth before you swallow it.

I actually like spring water, so that's my preferred daily fluid intake choice. If I want fruit-flavored beverage, I drink actual orange or grapefruit juice, usually fresh from the fruit (I have a manual juicer). That way I get ALL the nutrition from the fruit, the fiber, the vitamin C, vitamin A and potassium, vitamin B6, with only around 50 calories, no fat, no cholesterol, no sodium, low carb (not no carb, it does have fructose), and it's delicious and much more filling than a glass of flavored water.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Depends on the source of the water, and whether or not you use fluoridated toothpaste.

Natural spring water has naturally-occurring fluoride in it, but possibly not enough to keep your teeth healthy. So you'd need to use fluoridated toothpaste for that.

Tap water (in most parts of the USA) has its fluoride content regulated, but also typically has other stuff added to it (such as chlorine), and in some parts of the country (like Flint, Michigan) also contains toxins such as lead, which may or may not be palatable/safe.

Filtered tap water will reduce the risk of contaminants as long as you keep the filter maintained. But it might not taste any better than its unfiltered counterpart.

Drinking ONLY citrus-infused water means you're exposing your teeth to a LOT of citric acid, and that can be harmful to your teeth since it washes through your mouth before you swallow it.

I actually like spring water, so that's my preferred daily fluid intake choice. If I want fruit-flavored beverage, I drink actual orange or grapefruit juice, usually fresh from the fruit (I have a manual juicer). That way I get ALL the nutrition from the fruit, the fiber, the vitamin C, vitamin A and potassium, vitamin B6, with only around 50 calories, no fat, no cholesterol, no sodium, low carb (not no carb, it does have fructose), and it's delicious and much more filling than a glass of flavored water.

I agree wrt the acid on the teeth. However, an 8 ounce glass of orange juice packs 110 calories and a whopping 25.5g carbs. Better to eat an orange.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I agree wrt the acid on the teeth. However, an 8 ounce glass of orange juice packs 110 calories and a whopping 25.5g carbs. Better to eat an orange.
I wouldn't drink 8 ounces of juice at a time. My favorite juice drink:

1/2 grapefruit (just under 3 ounces): 52 calories, 13 g carbs 2g fiber. 28% RDA Vitamin A, 60% RDA vitamin C, 3% Calcium, and is 91% water.
1 valencia orange (around 2 ounces of juice) or tangerine 59 calories, 14.4 g carbs, 3g fiber, 1.3 g protein, 48mg calcium, 217mg potassium, 278mg vit a, 59mg vit c
A wedge of lime (maybe 1/5 ounce total), nutrition data negligible

It's around 5 ounces total. No ice. 110 calories loaded to the brim with vitamins, and you can burn the calories off in a brisk 30-minute walk.

Also - carbs aren't bad if you are active, unless you're diabetic and loading your carb chart with sugars. Carbs get a bad reputation from the diet industry. So - don't go on a diet, eat healthy, don't be diabetic, and enjoy a glass of fresh squeezed juice every few days and a slice of bread with your dinner.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
My personal trainer told me to hydrate with coconut water for leg cramps--it works, ain't cheap
A 16 oz glass of tonic water or diet tonic water helps to relieve leg cramps too. This is because of the quinine in the tonic water. Prescribed by my physician years ago and it works so much better than having to get out of bed and stand until the cramp subsides. Just add the tonic water to your evening sipping routine.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:14 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Tonic, rum and lime.
Closed Thread

Tags
preventing, water, infused, private, room

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.