Hydroxychloroquine

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2020, 11:24 AM
Default Hydroxychloroquine

At least one hospital is administering this as a prophylaxis to medical professionals giving care to COVID-19 patients.

(link for blueash)

New Jersey doctor gives update on use of hydroxychloroquine, remdesivir on coronavirus patients

New Jersey doctor gives update on use of hydroxychloroquine, remdesivir on coronavirus patients | Fox News
Old 03-30-2020, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Careful reading please, but thank you for a link. The Foxnews story says
Quote:
the other trial that we are looking at right now that we hope to get launched later this week, we’ve actually had it fast-tracked up until now, is actually using hydroxychloroquine for what we call chemoprophylaxis or prevention for front-line caregivers,” he added.
Note that it doesn't say they are doing it, rather that they hope to launch. And it doesn't say medical professionals, it says front-line caregivers. That is not a minor quibble as the previous sentence in the story is about spread in nursing homes. So it might mean giving it to care givers in nursing homes.

I am all in favor of people doing studies. And I am encouraged by the word "trial" in his comment. It suggests something more vigorous than just giving everyone hydroxychloroquine. Hopefully they are going to collect data but I understand that can be a secondary issue. As I have written in other threads I hope this works, bigly.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:49 AM

It will be interesting to see if this works. The drug is believed to prevent the entry of the virus into the endosome where it produces single stranded RNA to replicate itself. If it works, the virus wouldn't be able to spread.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:19 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

Note that it doesn't say they are doing it, rather that they hope to launch. And it doesn't say medical professionals, it says front-line caregivers. That is not a minor quibble as the previous sentence in the story is about spread in nursing homes. So it might mean giving it to care givers in nursing homes.

I am all in favor of people doing studies. And I am encouraged by the word "trial" in his comment. It suggests something more vigorous than just giving everyone hydroxychloroquine. Hopefully they are going to collect data but I understand that can be a secondary issue. As I have written in other threads I hope this works, bigly.
Lots of Doctors are "doing it" right now and also taking the drug as a prophylactic themselves.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...rus-treatment/
Old 03-30-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Lots of Doctors are "doing it" right now and also taking the drug as a prophylactic themselves.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...rus-treatment/
Yes they are. Others are waiting for efficacy studies while patients die. Choose your doctors wisely.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Yes they are. Others are waiting for efficacy studies while patients die. Choose your doctors wisely.
Here are two youtube videos by Doctors explaining how it works, 2nd one is more technical.

COVID-19 Update 8: Zinc and chloroquine for the treatment of COVID-19? - YouTube

Coronavirus Epidemic Update 34: US Cases Surge, Chloroquine & Zinc Treatment Combo, Italy Lockdown - YouTube
Old 03-30-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

Note that it doesn't say they are doing it, rather that they hope to launch. And it doesn't say medical professionals, it says front-line caregivers. That is not a minor quibble as the previous sentence in the story is about spread in nursing homes. So it might mean giving it to care givers in nursing homes. (And I think caregivers in nursing homes are healthcare professionals.)

I think the doctors, nurses, respiratory techs, etc. who are treating these patients would be considered "front line" especially if they are in the ER or some form of triage.

Last edited by skyking; 03-30-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:16 PM

FDA Gives Emergency Authorization On Use Of Malaria Drug For COVID-19 Care | iHeartRadio

Hydroxychloroquine was approved for medical use in the United States in 1955. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the safest and most effective medicines needed in a health system.[5] In 2017, it was the 128th-most-prescribed medication in the United States, with more than five million prescriptions.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

World Health Organization (2019). World Health Organization model list of essential medicines: 21st list. Geneva: World Health Organization. hdl:10665/325771.
WHO/MVP/EMP/IAU/2019.06. License: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO
Old 03-31-2020, 08:33 AM
Default Interesting article on what Italy is doing...

Italy Finally Starts Mass Treatment with Hydroxychloroquine

The Italian doctors are noting that the drug is best used in the early stages of the infection.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Blueash. You and I may not agree sometimes about certain issues but I respect your medical training and your scientific reticence and your amazing mind. Thank God for our medical professionals, particularly M.D.s. That goes for you too Golfing Eagle and my neighbor, you know who you are. Sometimes being gifted is extremely hard.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
FDA Gives Emergency Authorization On Use Of Malaria Drug For COVID-19 Care | iHeartRadio

Hydroxychloroquine was approved for medical use in the United States in 1955. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the safest and most effective medicines needed in a health system.[5] In 2017, it was the 128th-most-prescribed medication in the United States, with more than five million prescriptions.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

World Health Organization (2019). World Health Organization model list of essential medicines: 21st list. Geneva: World Health Organization. hdl:10665/325771.
The problem is that hydroxychloraquine has not been used in conjunction with other drugs such as z-packs and azithromyacin which is being done to treat Covid-19 patients. Not enough is known about the interaction of these medications.

I believe that it should be up to the patient and doctor to decide whether or not to take this risk. It seems small to me, but for someone that is young and healthy and is experiencing mild symptoms, the risk may not be worth it.

If I, on the other hand, contract this virus, I will be screaming for these drugs. But then again, I'm 68 years old with several underlying conditions that put me at great risk.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbC2016 View Post
Italy Finally Starts Mass Treatment with Hydroxychloroquine

The Italian doctors are noting that the drug is best used in the early stages of the infection.
Please critically evaluate these statements from the article you linked [thank you for a link]

Quote:
We have just understood that the virus has an evolution in two phases and that it is during the second phase, after a few days (about a week), that the situation can suddenly, in 24 or 48 hours, worsen and leads to respiratory failure requiring intensive care.
The results that we are starting to accumulate suggest that hydroxychloroquine administered early, gives the possibility of avoiding this evolution in a majority of patients and is also helping us to prevent hospitals from filling up.
Now seeing as approximately 80 % of patients with early Covid never progress why would a finding that the majority of patients given a treatment don't progress be meaningful? If only 20% of early patients given the medicine progressed would you be impressed? Of course not as the known pattern of Covid is that 80% of patients given only symptomatic treatment don't progress to being sick enough to fill up hospitals.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:17 AM
Veteran member
Default Hydroxychloroquine

Quote:

Not only effective and safe but also shortens the "viral shedding" time so that promotes less transmission. I would absolutely use this drug.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:33 PM

Thank you for a voice of reason. People hear what they want to hear. That's how rumors start and false hope instilled in people. Everyone read all the fine print not just the part you want to hear. There is a difference between doctor and scientists. Between experimental and known results. Please stop. Too.many people believe what you pass on.
Closed Thread

Tags
hydroxychloroquine, patients, coronavirus, remdesivir, update

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.