Hydroxychloroquine rated 'most effective therapy' by doctors for coronavirus: Global

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2020, 03:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't think the things you want me to read are helpful and one Doctor's results is not impressive. Like Diane M, I would try anything but so far I don't read any conclusive evidence from you or the POTUS that this is working. I remember a couple of days ago you were debating the "real" M.D.s who live here and post on here.
Then don't read them. The "real" MDs who live and post here are probably retired and not treating coronavirus. The "real" Doctors I am quoting are on the front lines, "really" treating this disease. They are the ones giving their results, not me or Trump.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:50 PM

If it were true then why are so many dying
Old 04-06-2020, 03:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1916 View Post
Not all patients are being treated with these drugs. Doctors are still learning what combination to use and when. I am just reporting what I can on the subject and hoping for the best. A vaccine that works is the only true solution, but that's going to take a while.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Your life, if not careful. Contact your doctor before doing anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
No kidding. You cannot just buy the pills on your own. Requires a doctor script or administered in hospital.
Careful Tal,,,,,,,,
Old 04-06-2020, 05:03 PM

Let's see so if they said Thalidomide seemed to be working you would take that also? It did a lot of damage to young children being born in the 1950's due to a lack of thorough testing. I believe that there are studies now that are showing Lasik eye surgery is beginning to show long term ill effects. Putting leeches on people was used for a remedy for just about every disease at one time and many people survived illnesses with leech treatment. Not sure that is a good testing and trial procedure that shows it worked .

I believe that what the president meant to say is if you are on the verge of death he does not see a reason not to ask for the drugs. To me it is no different than getting pancreatic cancer, a death sentence, a majority of the time. If you told me there was a drug that might be helpful in a cure but there could be unknown side effects, I am sure I would not think twice. We do not know if this really works or whether the people getting better while taking it could have eaten strawberries and gotten well. If you are willing to sign a release that you hold no one responsible for any future issues of any kind, you should be allowed to take it.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
Let's see so if they said Thalidomide seemed to be working you would take that also? It did a lot of damage to young children being born in the 1950's due to a lack of thorough testing. I believe that there are studies now that are showing Lasik eye surgery is beginning to show long term ill effects. Putting leeches on people was used for a remedy for just about every disease at one time and many people survived illnesses with leech treatment. Not sure that is a good testing and trial procedure that shows it worked .

I believe that what the president meant to say is if you are on the verge of death he does not see a reason not to ask for the drugs. To me it is no different than getting pancreatic cancer, a death sentence, a majority of the time. If you told me there was a drug that might be helpful in a cure but there could be unknown side effects, I am sure I would not think twice. We do not know if this really works or whether the people getting better while taking it could have eaten strawberries and gotten well. If you are willing to sign a release that you hold no one responsible for any future issues of any kind, you should be allowed to take it.
Apples and oranges. This drug has been around for 75 years. It treats malaria and lupus and arthritis on a regular basis. It is being tried as part of a medical cocktail to help people with the virus in their quest to survive. It is VERY different than a cancer diagnosis. I would take it in a heartbeat.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post

"What Do You Have To Lose?" !!!
nails it for me.

Per the information - perfect or not - if I or a family member/friend contracted Covid, I would STRONGLY instruct my medical professional to administer it. period.
And if you have a liver disorder and take it, you will probably die.

There are reasons this drug is not over the counter.

Respect science.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
And if you have a liver disorder and take it, you will probably die.

There are reasons this drug is not over the counter.

Respect science.
And if you’re diagnosed with a near fatal dose of COVID, protecting your liver is pointless.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:26 PM

Old 04-06-2020, 06:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1916 View Post
See above.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:46 PM
Platinum member

bb12e1cf-jpg

LANSING – A Democratic state representative from Detroit is crediting hydroxychloroquine — and Republican President Donald Trump who touted the drug — for saving her in her battle with the coronavirus.

State Rep. Karen Whitsett, who learned Monday she has tested positive for COVID-19, said she started taking hydroxychloroquine on March 31, prescribed by her doctor, after both she and her husband sought treatment for a range of symptoms on March 18.
"It was less than two hours" before she started to feel relief, said Whitsett, who had experienced shortness of breath, swollen lymph nodes, and what felt like a sinus infection. She is still experiencing headaches, she said.

"It has a lot to do with the president ... bringing it up," Whitsett said. "He is the only person who has the power to make it a priority."

Asked whether she thinks Trump may have saved her life, Whitsett said: "Yes, I do," and "I do thank him for that"

Detroit rep says hydroxychloroquine, Trump helped save her life amid COVID-19 fight
Old 04-06-2020, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Attachment 83558

LANSING – A Democratic state representative from Detroit is crediting hydroxychloroquine — and Republican President Donald Trump who touted the drug — for saving her in her battle with the coronavirus.

State Rep. Karen Whitsett, who learned Monday she has tested positive for COVID-19, said she started taking hydroxychloroquine on March 31, prescribed by her doctor, after both she and her husband sought treatment for a range of symptoms on March 18.
"It was less than two hours" before she started to feel relief, said Whitsett, who had experienced shortness of breath, swollen lymph nodes, and what felt like a sinus infection. She is still experiencing headaches, she said.

"It has a lot to do with the president ... bringing it up," Whitsett said. "He is the only person who has the power to make it a priority."

Asked whether she thinks Trump may have saved her life, Whitsett said: "Yes, I do," and "I do thank him for that"

Detroit rep says hydroxychloroquine, Trump helped save her life amid COVID-19 fight
This is anecdotal and not solid science. Wait for more research on this. COVID-19 is quite new as threats to one's health goes. Malaria is not.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
This is anecdotal and not solid science. Wait for more research on this. COVID-19 is quite new as threats to one's health goes. Malaria is not.

Seriously? She did not have malaria but she did have COVID. She took it and feels better. Good for her.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
A few more reports about actual Doctors treating the actual coronavirus patients.

Long Island doctor tries new hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 patients
Ok, I'll take a stab a debunking that anecdotal report. This doctor from Long Island treated 47 outpatient nursing home patients with his drug combination. Of those 47, 45 were Covid positive. The other 2 apparently were negative. With medication 38 did not require hospitalization but 2 died apparently without hospitalization and 7 were transferred to the hospital.

This is meaningless with the article not telling you what the recovery, hospitalization, and death rate of nursing home patients would be without the drug combo. Did the article tell you? No Did you look it up? Doubtful.

9 of 47 of outpatient elderly treated with medication went on to hospitalization or death. That is a 7/47 or 15% hospitalization rate and an additional 4.3% death rate. Combined that is about 20% failure to prevent deterioration rate. Of course the rate may actually be higher as some of those who did not get hospitalized may have gotten sicker after the medications but not transferred.

This article from The Lancet which looked at large numbers of cases concluded:

"...estimates of the proportion of infected individuals likely to be hospitalised increased with age up to a maximum of 18·4% (11·0–7·6) in those aged 80 years or older. "

So without drugs you would expect 18.4% of persons over 80 to need hospitalization. Seems like that is just about identical to the amazing success claimed by this anecdotal report.

And this is why people who don't understand why medicine demands placebo controls to prove efficacy should not be misinforming readers on TOTV.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We all hope it will be effective. I looked this up and it came from Sermo which is a doctor's blog where doctors supposedly discuss things on an online "forum". Worldone.inc. bought it some time ago. I would still call this anecdotal information. I have to wonder how the "doctors" credentials are verified. It says it is "the most effective therapy" according to what you tell us, but I haven't really heard of any other "therapies" being used. There are no anti-virals for it and no vaccine to prevent it and antibiotics are used to prevent secondary infections. I want to believe this good news, I do. But it could be just a bunch of yahoos like me giving their opinion. Anyone can pretend to be anyone on the internet. I know you want to be encouraging, but we just can't be hootin' and hollerin'. Too much of that goin' on by others meaning to be encouraging...…………….
I’m trying to envision any of us in the hospital, fighting off Covid-19 and maybe only a few hours away from the ICU & ventilator ... and then, when the doctor says would you like to try the hydroxychloroquine, then saying “no thanks Doc, it’s too risky and unproven.”

Tags
doctors, hydroxychloroquine, coronavirus, rated, effective

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.