The Importance of Keeping Our Immune System Strong

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2020, 08:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darield View Post
A great article came out in the AARP magazine titled “Who Gets Sick and Why”. The article online is titled “Coronavirus Immunity: How does Your Age Play A Factor”.

In any case, it’s a great read. A strong immune system has the ability to at least lesson the severity of a new invader if not fight it off.

Coronavirus Immunity: How Age, Health Factor into Risk
Great read. Thanks for sharing. So important to remember that lifestyle choices make a huge difference regarding our immunity to diseases.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:57 AM

I have read recent studies that have shown that vitamins and supplements do nothing to prevent diseases or improve health. Basically the researchers say save your money. I have stopped taking a daily vitamin but just don't know what to believe anymore.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1701 View Post
did you also read the article that talked about your immune will be stronger if you think of the virus as a challenge you can beat instead of something to be terrified of?
bingo !!!
Old 05-14-2020, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

The best way to build up immunity is to develop antibodies, which happens after exposure or through vaccinations.

We all know about the rise of antibiotic-resistant infections due to overuse. Just spitballing, but it wouldn't shock me if the sharp increase in use of antiseptics has some kind of unintended consequence down the line.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I was interested in seeing this interview on the Today Show this morning 5/14/20. It is with Dr. Joseph Fair who is a science contributor to NBC and MSNBC. He is a Virologist and Epidemologist. He is 42, and runs from five to ten miles, five days a week. He is currently hospitalized with Covid-19.

dr. joseph fair - Bing video
Old 05-14-2020, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
The best way to build up immunity is to develop antibodies, which happens after exposure or through vaccinations.

We all know about the rise of antibiotic-resistant infections due to overuse. Just spitballing, but it wouldn't shock me if the sharp increase in use of antiseptics has some kind of unintended consequence down the line.
I have been wondering the same thing. Doctors have for at least a decade warned against overuse of hand sanitizer vis-a-vis the need for stronger antibiotics. I never used hand sanitizer until now. But if I have the choice to wash my hands instead, I go with that.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I have been wondering the same thing. Doctors have for at least a decade warned against overuse of hand sanitizer vis-a-vis the need for stronger antibiotics. I never used hand sanitizer until now. But if I have the choice to wash my hands instead, I go with that.
Hand sanitizer breeds super bugs. I never use the stuff. Just wash my hands with soap and water. When I can't wash my hands, I just do not touch my face. Actually, I have gotten into the habit of not ever touching my face with my bare hands. This prepares me for when I have no access to soap and water. I don't care where I am, I will use the inside of my blouse/shirt to touch my face for what ever reason.

I have practiced this since the very beginning of the warnings of how to keep ourselves safe from this virus. There was a video posted on this forum of an ER physician who explained, very calmly, how to keep ourselves safe through this pandemic. He said he felt empowered by the information he passed on to everyone. A couple weeks after I initially saw the video, bits of it were shown on the news as the video had gone viral. The only time I touch my face with my bare hands is in the shower.

Last edited by coffeebean; 05-14-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:48 PM

This was an excellent article. Worth the time to read.
Closed Thread

Tags
strong, titled, article, great, system

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.