Automakers Making Ventilators?

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2020, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts
Default Automakers Making Ventilators?

So, the Government is discussing the possibility of contracting with some automakers to manufacture ventilators to address the current virus pandemic. Call me skeptical, but, to me, this reeks of a taxpayer ripoff. These companies are going to want a cost plus fee contract to do something that they know nothing about, using extremely high priced union labor. From my Government contracting experience, any company will do anything the Government wants if you are willing to pay all of their costs plus a guaranteed profit. Just my opinion.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
So, the Government is discussing the possibility of contracting with some automakers to manufacture ventilators to address the current virus pandemic. Call me skeptical, but, to me, this reeks of a taxpayer ripoff. These companies are going to want a cost plus fee contract to do something that they know nothing about, using extremely high priced union labor. From my Government contracting experience, any company will do anything the Government wants if you are willing to pay all of their costs plus a guaranteed profit. Just my opinion.
I know General Electric is ramping up production as much as possible. Easy for them since they are already producing them. I'm sure the other medical device manufacturers are also increasing production.

I think I saw an article earlier where Elon Musk offered to start manufacturing them. By the time they can actually get the manufacturing equipment in place and get a certifiable product to market hopefully this thing will be under control.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-20-2020, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I bet the creative and fast trackers will endeavor to find a way to shorten the lead time........opportunities for the current needs will make the eager rich(er).

Hopefully this becomes a national wake up call that provides opportunities to bring back onshore those critical needs in all aspects of health care currently being identified.

We should demand the government local/state/federal re-think all off shore production of critical shortage prone products for the health and safety of it's people.

I look forward to a recovery that is not "business as usual" but with more critical self sufficiency.

Very fertile business opportunities abound!!
Old 03-20-2020, 07:23 PM

The U.S. federal government will allow firms to begin manufacturing their own hand sanitizer with limited guidance

FDA says it won'''t take action against manufacturers that start making hand sanitizer
Closed Thread

Tags
government, automakers, contracting, ventilators, company

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.