Insurance for people not eligible for Medicare

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2017, 06:40 PM
Default Insurance for people not eligible for Medicare

I'm losing my cobra and don't qualify for Medicare for another 3 years! My husband is on Medicare and still working...to pay for my insurance
I spoke to the Multiplan PPO people but a catastrophic event could bankrupt us. Blue Cross was very helpful but the doctors I would like to see don't take Select.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam832 View Post
I'm losing my cobra and don't qualify for Medicare for another 3 years! My husband is on Medicare and still working...to pay for my insurance
I spoke to the Multiplan PPO people but a catastrophic event could bankrupt us. Blue Cross was very helpful but the doctors I would like to see don't take Select.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Are you able to work someplace that offers you insurance? Perhaps you are not able to work...?? Some part-time jobs offer full-time insurance.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 09:40 PM
Sage

Quote:

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Simple, check this out.

Get 2018 health coverage. Health Insurance Marketplace | HealthCare.gov

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 10:42 PM
Platinum member
Smile Shop around

Quote:
Any suggestions? Thanks.
I have had great coverage over the years with Blue Cross. Now that I have Medicare I continue to have Blue Cross as secondary insurance.

You might want to get information from AAA and from AMAC just for comparison.

Medical Insurance - Long Term Care, Medicare Supplement & more | AAA

Health Insurance (Under 65) - amac.us

I doubt if there are many programs which give absolute protection from catastrophic events.

Best wishes.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:30 AM

Try Blue Cross "Options" it has a much wider selection of Doctors and Hospitals. Blue Cross "Select", and "Care" are limited
Old 10-19-2017, 06:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Ask the doctors you want to see what insurance they accept and get that insurance. The most important doctor in my husband’s world is his orthopedist. We didn’t go on Advantage for several reasons, the biggest being his orthopedist doesn’t accept Advaintage. BTW, Villages Health accepts a variety of insurance plans for those not yet on Medicare.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:46 AM

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2017, 10:56 PM

I too am "underage" like you. Had the same exact situation earlier this year.

I took the advice of one of my other underage neighbors and made an appointment with the local Florida Blue office (Blue Cross/Blue Shield). It is right off of 466. I worked with Renata Cockburn, but there are several professionals there that can take you through all your options. It was time well spent and she did a great job explaining all the available plans.

It is not inexpensive and I just got my renewal estimate. Not pretty. My husband can't wait until I get older!!!

Here are the details:
Mid-Florida Agencies
Palm Ridge Plaza (Golf Cart accessible)
11962 CR101, Suite 303
The Villages, FL 32162
Main: 352-259-0666
Renata Direct: 352-775-3336
web: www dot midfloridaagencies dot com

You need to go in around sixty days before your COBRA expires to have no lapse. Call and they can give you the correct timing.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunner View Post
I too am "underage" like you. Had the same exact situation earlier this year.

I took the advice of one of my other underage neighbors and made an appointment with the local Florida Blue office (Blue Cross/Blue Shield). It is right off of 466. I worked with Renata Cockburn, but there are several professionals there that can take you through all your options. It was time well spent and she did a great job explaining all the available plans.

It is not inexpensive and I just got my renewal estimate. Not pretty. My husband can't wait until I get older!!!

Here are the details:
Mid-Florida Agencies
Palm Ridge Plaza (Golf Cart accessible)
11962 CR101, Suite 303
The Villages, FL 32162
Main: 352-259-0666
Renata Direct: 352-775-3336
web: www dot midfloridaagencies dot com

You need to go in around sixty days before your COBRA expires to have no lapse. Call and they can give you the correct timing.

Good luck!
Here's a second vote for Renata at Mid Florida Agencies. With all the uncertainty of what healthcare coverage will look like going forward, she is very skilled at helping you make the right decisions.

Be forewarned though, IT AIN'T CHEAP! We have the Blue Select and use the Villages Health Care system as our primary care providers. With the Bronze plan and a deductible level of $6,500 / yr per person, we pay over $1,400 a month.

Also, remember that this is open enrollment right now until December 15th and she is very busy. It may take a week or so to get an appointment.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 10-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Gold member
Default Healthcare is a mess

Quote:
Any suggestions? Thanks.
We were in the same place as you mention. We used COBRA for 18 months and then continued with the same company AETNA for a year till old enough to get on medicare.

Due to a pre-existing medical condition AETNA would not sell us catastrophic insurance the bill for two of us was 18,000. Frankly, our bills were never 18,000 for a year and I wanted to SELF INSURE. Wife insisted that we pay for the insurance.

WOW-I've not been in a hospital over night in 52 years.
Five days in the Villages hospital was billed at just over 50,000. Aetna paid the bill IN FULL for 30,000.

The whole system is NUTS. AETNA pays 30,000. If, you do not take insurance you would pay almost twice as much for the same service-50,000.

We the patients also contribute to the problem and the costs. We are now on medicare. Our cost is less than half of what we paid to AETNA. There is no additional cost to see a doctor so my wife says we have paid for it so go

We are still wrestling with OBAMACARE. The truth is like any other BUSINESS, those who pay pay for the THEFT by those who do not. Care is not denied to anyone. My friend has said he was denied care at a private hospital due to the fact that he has no insurance. TRUTH-he was transferred to a state hospital received open heart surgery.
The surgery saved his life-he never paid for it and he has been collecting social security disability and/or welfare for the past ten years.

I think of him and the others like him when I file my taxes every April. He used to laugh at how hard I worked.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
We were in the same place as you mention. We used COBRA for 18 months and then continued with the same company AETNA for a year till old enough to get on medicare.

Due to a pre-existing medical condition AETNA would not sell us catastrophic insurance the bill for two of us was 18,000. Frankly, our bills were never 18,000 for a year and I wanted to SELF INSURE. Wife insisted that we pay for the insurance.

WOW-I've not been in a hospital over night in 52 years.

Five days in the Villages hospital was billed at just over 50,000. Aetna paid the bill IN FULL for 30,000.

The whole system is NUTS. AETNA pays 30,000. If, you do not take insurance you would pay almost twice as much for the same service-50,000.

We the patients also contribute to the problem and the costs. We are now on medicare. Our cost is less than half of what we paid to AETNA. There is no additional cost to see a doctor so my wife says we have paid for it so go

We are still wrestling with OBAMACARE. The truth is like any other BUSINESS, those who pay pay for the THEFT by those who do not. Care is not denied to anyone. My friend has said he was denied care at a private hospital due to the fact that he has no insurance. TRUTH-he was transferred to a state hospital received open heart surgery.

The surgery saved his life-he never paid for it and he has been collecting social security disability and/or welfare for the past ten years.

I think of him and the others like him when I file my taxes every April. He used to laugh at how hard I worked.

Which is why health care should be considered a right, not a privilege only for those who can afford it. Even out the playing field so no one feels left out or taken advantage of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 10:34 AM

As others have put some premium info out there, I will add mine for reference. I have the Florida Blue HMO plan. This is individual, NOT in the Affordable Care Act Marketplace, NOT subsidized. It is also one of the Bronze plans.

2017 Individual monthly premium $751. 2018 Estimated individual monthly premium $867.

When we finished COBRA, we were not offered any continuance of coverage with our carrier, Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

Florida Blue has many many plans to choose from. My earlier advice was to try to make an appointment within 60 days of your COBRA expiring. My revised advice is that if your COBRA is running out in the next three months, try to make your appointment now. It is open enrollment time, and these folks are going to get busier and busier, right up to the deadline date of December 15 to make any changes to your existing health care plan. (It is a shorter open enrollment time period this year.) They may not be able to tell you your exact premium, but they can tell you the details of all the 2018 plans as well as a best premium estimate.

I would think every person who gets their renewal premium estimate is going to look hard at options available to them, to either save premium dollars or improve their coverage, for what might be a few dollars more. Don't wait!
Old 10-20-2017, 06:35 PM
Gold member

My wife and I both had Florida Blue after my cobra ended. I am now on Medicare and wife will Be Jan 1st. We are paying $760 for her single coverage in 2017. Two more months. Be careful and make sure you check for in network hospitals. My wife had an emergency in Feb and was sent to Shands in Grainsville due to stroke complications. No surgery was needed but was there two days. A month later I was awakened to the fact Shands was not included in my FB plan, although they did have a presence and plans there. We ended up paying $9000 out of pocket on top of our normal deductable. This entire medical industry is completely out of control. Good luck until you hit Medicare age.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:45 AM

Thanks, you've been a great help.
Closed Thread

Tags
medicare, insurance, people, blue, cross

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.