Insurance in TV

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Default Insurance in TV

Boobear and I will be retiring early next year and thus will have to obtain our own health insurance. We are looking for advice on what insurance the medical facilities in The Villages will accept and a ball park figure of it's cost.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Gold member
Default am currently shopping

and it all depends on your pre-existing conditions. Was told that BC/BS had more providers available, but didn't check it out for myself. Also depends on your age band. 60-64 is one age band. If you are younger, things might be different. I am currently in the application process, so don't know the final quote.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 PM

I went through The Villages to get health insurance and they hooked me up with BC/BS of Florida. I am under 60 with no preexisting conditions and the cost is $403/month. So much depends on your medical history.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Veteran member

Both myself and hubby are now on Medicare. Our supplement is BC/BS F Plan and it's $165 each per month. It's an excellent supplement because we do not have co payments or any out of pocket expenses. If medical is Medicare approved, our supplement automatically pays what Medicare doesn't.

We did not have any pre existing issues but once on Medicare, it doesn't matter if you do have preexisting health issues to be eligible for any supplemental insurance
Old 05-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default insurance

both 65 or OVER, We have United Health thru AARP for supplement to Medicare and cost for both of us is $323/mo....All Dr's offices LOVE United Health, when you can get them to commit, they say United Health pays the best of all supplemental insurance companies....
Old 05-18-2011, 01:10 PM

I am most eager for information about individual health insurance for my wife. We now live in Connecticut but we are planning on selling our home there (it's been on the market for two weeks) and moving to our home in Buttonwood. I am 67 and on Medicare but my wife is 58 and has a pre-existing condition (she's a breast cancer survivor of almost 3 years)

I'd appreciate anyone familiar with this type of situation providing information about availability and cost of health insurance and proces for getting it.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Gold member
Default Florida is an underwriting state

that means they can check details about pre-existing conditions and charge accordingly. I believe that if she has had continuous coverage, they cannot exclude a pre-existing condition, but they sure can charge for it.

They will only quote about 3 mos. out, but in your situation, I would talk to a healthcare agent in Florida as soon as possible so you can be prepared.

It's my understanding that the new health care law, as it stands, allows this until sometime in 2014, not sure of the date. I know that my daughter's mother-in-law, who had Stage 1 breast cancer about 14 years ago, pays about$1000/mo in Ohio. Not sure what her deductible is. She is now about 64, can't wait for Medicare.

Your wife may want to look hard for employment that offers health insurance, if she's unable to transfer whatever coverage she has now.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another 65er View Post
I am most eager for information about individual health insurance for my wife. We now live in Connecticut but we are planning on selling our home there (it's been on the market for two weeks) and moving to our home in Buttonwood. I am 67 and on Medicare but my wife is 58 and has a pre-existing condition (she's a breast cancer survivor of almost 3 years)

I'd appreciate anyone familiar with this type of situation providing information about availability and cost of health insurance and process for getting it.

Many thanks in advance.
We are in a similar situation as you two. When we move to TV, I will need coverage for 22 months and have prostate cancer in my medical history. My wife will need coverage for 5 months.

We were making no progress by calling individual insurance companies. We finally found policies for each of us by contacting an insurance broker in Ocala - Ross Lehman, 352-425-4427.

Your mileage may vary. It's a jungle out there when it comes to this stuff... Ross was able to help.

Good luck!

Last edited by champion6; 05-18-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 05-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

I am working on getting off COBRA onto couple coverage. I was told by a local insurance broker that carriers in FL do not, repeat do not, have to offer you insurance if you have any conditions they deem make you high risk. The portability of insurance which people believe you have as long as your coverage is continuous only applies to employer offered policies, not to those seeking individual coverage. So beware, your wife may find she is uninsurable in FL. I hope I am misinformed, but my experience so far getting coverage has been a challenge. I was rejected because I have not had any medical care in over 12 months other than taking a statin (high risk because I don't cost the insurance company anything?) and wife rejected because the agent mistyped the spelling of her name in one part of the application while it was correct in all the other areas. So now I must get a checkup (did it yesterday) and prove I am well, and reapply, and get wife's name spelled consistenly correctly and I am told that we should be approved. Expect to cost about 700/mo for a 6000/yr deductible plan. Good luck
Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I am working on getting off COBRA onto couple coverage. I was told by a local insurance broker that carriers in FL do not, repeat do not, have to offer you insurance if you have any conditions they deem make you high risk. The portability of insurance which people believe you have as long as your coverage is continuous only applies to employer offered policies, not to those seeking individual coverage. So beware, your wife may find she is uninsurable in FL. I hope I am misinformed, but my experience so far getting coverage has been a challenge. I was rejected because I have not had any medical care in over 12 months other than taking a statin (high risk because I don't cost the insurance company anything?) and wife rejected because the agent mistyped the spelling of her name in one part of the application while it was correct in all the other areas. So now I must get a checkup (did it yesterday) and prove I am well, and reapply, and get wife's name spelled consistenly correctly and I am told that we should be approved. Expect to cost about 700/mo for a 6000/yr deductible plan. Good luck
So will this be a deal killer for me concerning moving to FL. I am in the middle of divorce proceedings and will be covered under COBRA from my husbands company plan with United Health Care for 3 years after the divorce is final. Then at 65 I will be on medicare. Problem is I will have about 6- 9 months from ending of COBRA policy till I'm eligible for Medicare. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis which I assume will be considered a pre-existing condition. So if what you say is true I probably would not be able to find insurance coverage if I move to FL. I really want to be a FROG in TV, but not an uninsured FROG even for 6 months. Sounds like as far as heath insurance companies are concerned only healthy people are welcome in FL. OR very wealthy ones who can self insure.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momesu View Post
So will this be a deal killer for me concerning moving to FL. I am in the middle of divorce proceedings and will be covered under COBRA from my husbands company plan with United Health Care for 3 years after the divorce is final. Then at 65 I will be on medicare. Problem is I will have about 6- 9 months from ending of COBRA policy till I'm eligible for Medicare. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis which I assume will be considered a pre-existing condition. So if what you say is true I probably would not be able to find insurance coverage if I move to FL. I really want to be a FROG in TV, but not an uninsured FROG even for 6 months. Sounds like as far as heath insurance companies are concerned only healthy people are welcome in FL. OR very wealthy ones who can self insure.
The healthcare law is supposed to guarantee coverage to everyone starting in 2014. Go to the website healthcare.gov which explains when these laws go in effect. I am planning to Cobra with my company in 2013 and move to guaranteed coverage in 2014. Of course there is a lot of talk of about repealing the healthcare plan but I think guaranteed coverage for everyone will stay with any new plan. JMHO
Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momesu View Post
This is not only a problem in FL. I don't know where you live now but I know w would have the same problem here in NC. We spoke to the insurance brokers in LSL when we were down last year. My wife has a history of breast cancer. They said they could write get her a policy as long as she shows she has had continuous coverage prior to the writing of the policy with the caveat that it would not cover breast cancer for the first 12 months it was in effect. Perhaps you could move down there 12 months before the COBRA ran out, bought the policy with the 12 month exemption on the condition you have and keep COBRA to cover that. After 12 months you could drop COBRA and have full coverage from your new policy.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.