It's almost the New Year - do you have a weight loss plan?

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2021, 07:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm vacillating between making a serious effort to get healthy and just giving up and enjoying all the foods that I love.

And what exactly is eating healthy? Some experts say that fat and protein are the enemy. Others say to eat all the fat and protein that you want and cut out or limit carbs. Some say cut calories others say that calories don't matter.

This post may start and argument here with several people weighing on their "scientifically proven" data. All sides will claim show that science backs up with they believe.

Even doctors seem to have no idea. I was given a low fat diet to help lower cholesterol. When my cholesterol went up the cardiologist asked if I had been eating a lot of candy.

I cut out carbs completely for a long time. I lost a lot of weight and my cholesterol went way down. I told my doctor what I did and he said that's very dangerous.

The problem with almost all diets or eating regimens is that they all work and are all very difficult to stay with.
So true. There's hundreds of theories out there. What works for one doesn't work for another. I had to experiment for years to finally find my happy place with food.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
So true. There's hundreds of theories out there. What works for one doesn't work for another. I had to experiment for years to finally find my happy place with food.
What do you mean by "works"? If you mean losing weight, perhaps you have a point. My objective is to maintain an independent lifestyle as long as possible while I am alive. This means avoiding heart disease, cancer, diabetes and so on. It amazes me that no one seems to be concerned about minimizing their chances of spending the last years of their life in a nursing home or dementia ward as well as being a burden on their loved ones. I have had family who have spent the final months of their lives bed ridden after a stroke. It is a fate worse than death.

If you research reverse heart disease, every single plan or program involves a whole food plant based diet or mostly plant based. When animal protein is allowed it is severely restricted. Except for very few cases, if you make changes early enough, cancer, heart disease and diabetes is a choice. Why would you choose to have it?

Of course only fools follow medical advice on chat rooms. Do your on research.

National Institutes of Health (NIH) | Turning Discovery Into Health

FYI. The number one ranked cardiology hospital in the country has a heart disease reversal program.

https://www.healio.com/news/cardiolo...-heart-surgery

Heart Disease Reversal Program | Cleveland Clinic

Last edited by ithos; 01-03-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:51 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
So you're selling something. Shouldn't this either be in the classified section or shouldn't you be paying for an advertisement?
TLC does not sell anything. We are a non profit group of mental health professionals who offer our services for free. The group is free to anyone interested.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Thank you for explaining your mission. I do believe that it is easy to use misuse food for psychological reasons. And once caught up in a cycle it’s hard to break. When I first read OP’s post I was under the impression we were sharing diet strategies that worked for us.

Good luck with your project.
Closed Thread

Tags
approach, january, group, weight, register

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.