Ivermectin to Prevent COVID Transmission

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2020, 08:02 AM

sounds like it. is snake oil
Old 12-30-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflash245 View Post
Yeah that’s why ER Doctors are prescribing it...
Old 12-30-2020, 08:10 AM
Platinum member

good grief, next thing that happens is that people will start using their dogs medicine. just like hydroxychloroquine, there needs to be more robust studies done. as a pharmacist I was always amazed at people who were concerned about the side effects of their prescribed medication but were taking multiple herbal supplements that weren't regulated or standardized.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:11 AM

While ivermectin seems to help reduce viral load in patients, it has not been shown to have any prophylactic properties, thus far, and should probably only be used after infection is confirmed. For general prophylaxis purposes melatonin, zinc and vitamins b1 and C are known to be safe and anecdotally seem to reduce infection rates. (Latest study on melatonin found that among some sub groups those taking it had a 28% lower infection rate when other factors are accounted for.)
Old 12-30-2020, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflash245 View Post
Read the link I posted above. Don't just browse it. Read it. There are randomized controlled trials. It's all there in detail with references.

These are some of the best clinicians in the world who are recommending it. This is a group of doctors who have more peer reviewed papers papers than _ANYONE_ on critical care.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:18 AM
Sage

I think there is a human form of ivermectin (pills). I've read it has shown good results. On another note in cream form without an RX it can be used for rosacea. I've used it for that issue. Big Pharma would rather use expensive meds....my opinion...that fits a different narrative.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:21 AM

Just checked there, and they don’t seem to have it. Did I miss something?
Old 12-30-2020, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcal63 View Post
While ivermectin seems to help reduce viral load in patients, it has not been shown to have any prophylactic properties, thus far, and should probably only be used after infection is confirmed. For general prophylaxis purposes melatonin, zinc and vitamins b1 and C are known to be safe and anecdotally seem to reduce infection rates. (Latest study on melatonin found that among some sub groups those taking it had a 28% lower infection rate when other factors are accounted for.)
Yes, it has indeed been shown to have prophylaxis.

Start at page 7: https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-c...f-COVID-19.pdf

>>>Exposure prophylaxis studies of ivermectin’s ability to prevent transmission of COVID-19 Data is also now available showing large and statistically significant decreases in the transmission of COVID-19 among human subjects based on data from fourrandomized controlled trials (RCT) and three observational controlled trials (OCT) with fourof the seven(two of themRCT’s) published in peer-reviewed journals (Behera et al., 2020;Bernigaud et al., 2020;Carvallo et al., 2020b;Elgazzar et al., 2020;Hellwig and Maia, 2020;Shouman, 2020)<<
Old 12-30-2020, 08:49 AM
Default Ivermectin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmano View Post
Does anyone know any doctors in our area willing to prescribe ivermectin for the prevention of Covid? Studies have shown this safe, inexpensive drug to be quite effective for both prophylaxis and treatment purposes. I can share the research with anyone interested.

There is no evidence to suggest ivermectin(an antiparasitic) is effective to prevent or treat Covid 19 in humans. While it does prevent viral replication in test tubes, as do many things like bleach and lysol, the few non-controlled studies do not show efficacy due to flaws in the studies.

COVID-19 Update: Ivermectin - REBEL EM - Emergency Medicine Blog

FDA warning: Ivermectin meant for animals are not for human treatment for COVID-19
Old 12-30-2020, 09:00 AM

Yeah, go ahead, take some of this stuff snd then throw away your mask. You’ll be safe !!!
Old 12-30-2020, 09:03 AM
Default Ivermectin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmano View Post
Does anyone know any doctors in our area willing to prescribe ivermectin for the prevention of Covid? Studies have shown this safe, inexpensive drug to be quite effective for both prophylaxis and treatment purposes. I can share the research with anyone interested.
Ivermectin is used in the cattle industry and is “over the counter”. A veterinarian can tell you all about it is my guess.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:15 AM

They also recommended against the use of hydroxochloroquine even tho hundreds of actual "practicing" physicians all over this country used it successfully with their patients with nearly 100% recovery. Interestingly, the AMA finally came out a week ago and said that it could be an effective treatment for Covid. I wonder how many of the hundreds of thousands of lives who perished from the virus could have been saved by a safe, low cost drug like hydroxochloroquine if it had not been politicized.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:17 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

There must not be an economic windfall.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donassaid View Post
They also recommended against the use of hydroxochloroquine even tho hundreds of actual "practicing" physicians all over this country used it successfully with their patients with nearly 100% recovery. Interestingly, the AMA finally came out a week ago and said that it could be an effective treatment for Covid. I wonder how many of the hundreds of thousands of lives who perished from the virus could have been saved by a safe, low cost drug like hydroxochloroquine if it had not been politicized.
just because Rush Limbaugh says something doesn't mean it's true. please fact check.

Limbaugh accused the AMA of "knowingly lying about hydroxychloroquine." But as the Poynter Institute reported, the AMA never retracted its statement on the drug. The Published Reporter and other websites that spread similar claims have walked back their reports, and the AMA addressed the matter on Twitter.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:32 AM
Platinum member

Some of the side-effects that may be associated with ivermectin include skin rash, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, facial or limb swelling, neurologic adverse events (dizziness, seizures, confusion), sudden drop in blood pressure, severe skin rash potentially requiring hospitalization and liver injury (hepatitis). Laboratory test abnormalities include decrease in white cell count and elevated liver tests.
Closed Thread

Tags
ivermectin, covid, drug, effective, prophylaxis

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.