J&J Vaccine Lower Efficacy

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2021, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts
Default J&J Vaccine Lower Efficacy

I would not want the J&J vaccine because of the lower efficacy. One shot vs two of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, I would much prefer the latter two. How do you feel about the lower efficacy of the J&J vaccine? Will you take it?

Fauci says Johnson & Johnson vaccine helpful in COVID-19 fight despite lower efficacy | TheHill
Old 01-30-2021, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Only one shot and simple refrigerated storage expands access more quickly.

Less effective at completely preventing COVID but very effective at reducing severity of disease and deaths.

So yes, especially if in a group that may not have access to the RNA vaccines for months. A strategy could be to be to offer to those younger groups.

Next question is getting both vaccines he types has any advantage.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Only one shot and simple refrigerated storage expands access more quickly.

Less effective at completely preventing COVID but very effective at reducing severity of disease and deaths.

So yes, especially if in a group that may not have access to the RNA vaccines for months. A strategy could be to be to offer to those younger groups.

Next question is getting both vaccines he types has any advantage.
That is exactly why I would be happy to get the J&J vaccine.

I'm already at a lower risk, because of my age and overall fitness and immunity level. I also MIGHT have already been exposed to it, and have achieved some kind of natural immunity to it, by now. I don't know that, and haven't gotten the test to find that out, and knowing that won't make me change my behavior so I won't bother with it. Having worked in the public from February 2020 til December 2020, I really have to just assume I was exposed to it.

That 66% protection seems like a pretty good deal to someone like me, who isn't likely to get sick, but wants to reduce the severity in the off-chance I manage to catch the virus anyway.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:33 AM
Sage

No vaccine has 100% efficacy per this story: Congressman tests positive for COVID after receiving second vaccine dose

But, in answer to Coffeebean's question, yes I would get the J&J version if that's all that would be available. And the congressman in the link above may remain free of symptoms but could pass on the virus.

Last edited by Carla B; 01-30-2021 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Add something.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:39 AM

Interesting point earlier on the news..the first two vaccines were tested when we had fewer variants floating through the population. Now with the greater number of variants the speculation is that the efficacy of the first two vaccines may not have tested out as high. Seems plausible.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

First dose of Pfizer on Thursday. According to most on this site, I am high risk, if I tested positive. I also realize that I probably have 10 to 15 years on this earth, but that could change in a heartbeat or no heartbeat, tomorrow.

I would have taken J&J vaccine. At least J&J states what could be the % for the evolving strains.

I also have no illusions that any vaccine will keep me from contracting Covid, or a variant. Then again my everyday life has not changed since last March. I still shopped, at small businesses to help them keep afloat, went to restaurants when they were open, ordered takeout when restaurants were shuttered, in hopes to keep some working. I played golf every chance I got.
Saw my family when possible, even though they are exposed everyday in healthcare.

Do I feel any safer by getting the first dose, not really. Two of our kids feel the same way, Doctors at their facility were required to be vaccinated, yet their life will remain the same, especially since there is no guarantee on how long the vaccine will last, or how effective it is on those that don’t have to guess they are exposed everyday.

Only time will tell.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
First dose of Pfizer on Thursday. According to most on this site, I am high risk, if I tested positive. I also realize that I probably have 10 to 15 years on this earth, but that could change in a heartbeat or no heartbeat, tomorrow.

I would have taken J&J vaccine. At least J&J states what could be the % for the evolving strains.

I also have no illusions that any vaccine will keep me from contracting Covid, or a variant. Then again my everyday life has not changed since last March. I still shopped, at small businesses to help them keep afloat, went to restaurants when they were open, ordered takeout when restaurants were shuttered, in hopes to keep some working. I played golf every chance I got.
Saw my family when possible, even though they are exposed everyday in healthcare.

Do I feel any safer by getting the first dose, not really. Two of our kids feel the same way, Doctors at their facility were required to be vaccinated, yet their life will remain the same, especially since there is no guarantee on how long the vaccine will last, or how effective it is on those that don’t have to guess they are exposed everyday.

Only time will tell.
Thanks for caring about your friends and neighbors.....and thank your kids for caring about their also

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-30-2021, 04:57 PM

Remember, the whole world has to be vaccinated. This J&J vaccine will be well suited for the parts of the globe where getting a second shot may not be possible, and where extreme refrigeration is not available. I'm glad it will soon be available.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

As long as the two being used right now are available would prefer those.

However the J and J is probably well suited to third world countries that are not equipped to handle vaccines that must be kept very cold.

I would also hope that the J and J vaccine can be improved over time.

I wonder what would happen if the doses were mixed?
Old 01-30-2021, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,929 Times in 2,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I would not want the J&J vaccine because of the lower efficacy. One shot vs two of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, I would much prefer the latter two. How do you feel about the lower efficacy of the J&J vaccine? Will you take it?

Fauci says Johnson & Johnson vaccine helpful in COVID-19 fight despite lower efficacy | TheHill

I’ll gladly take, better than nothing which what we’re getting now. Hundreds thousands in line for few hundred spots.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,929 Times in 2,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
As long as the two being used right now are available would prefer those.

However the J and J is probably well suited to third world countries that are not equipped to handle vaccines that must be kept very cold.

I would also hope that the J and J vaccine can be improved over time.

I wonder what would happen if the doses were mixed?
Were not equipped to handle the 400 degree below zero vaccine.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
No vaccine has 100% efficacy per this story: Congressman tests positive for COVID after receiving second vaccine dose

But, in answer to Coffeebean's question, yes I would get the J&J version if that's all that would be available. And the congressman in the link above may remain free of symptoms but could pass on the virus.
We have to keep in mind that we do not achieve the promised immunity after both shots of either the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine for a period of time. Immunity reaches a peak level two weeks after the second dose. The congressman who contracted Covid after the second shot may have contracted the virus during the time frame that he was not completely immune. Then there is the fact that neither vaccine is 100% effective in preventing infection. The 100% efficacy is for not having severe symptoms from the infection and not needing hospitalization.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Were not equipped to handle the 400 degree below zero vaccine.
???????
Old 01-30-2021, 07:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_hoosier View Post
Interesting point earlier on the news..the first two vaccines were tested when we had fewer variants floating through the population. Now with the greater number of variants the speculation is that the efficacy of the first two vaccines may not have tested out as high. Seems plausible.
This article gives me hope that our current vaccines will be effective against the variants....

Drugmakers expect tests to confirm vaccines effective against new coronavirus variant | Reuters
Old 01-30-2021, 08:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

The vaccine doses are already being mixed. Meaning a person may have Pfizer for first dose, then Moderna for second dose. Why is this happening? So far two prominent reasons. One the patient lost their card, and doesn’t remember which vaccine they received, or went to a different site for second dose, due to availability.
Other issue the freezer stopped working, (Pfizer) and the facility gave all vaccine before it expired, next vaccine shipment, was Moderna
Since there were no studies for a mix, and probably won’t be. The CDC did make a quick statement that a mix should not be a problem, if mixing vaccine doses did happen.
Closed Thread

Tags
j&j, efficacy, vaccine, lower, loser

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.