Joint Replacement--Be Informed

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have always been told to go to a large teaching hospital that does big numbers in the procedure you are having.

This is a very helpful thread.

It is scary to leave behind physicians that have guided us for years.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have always been told to go to a large teaching hospital that does big numbers in the procedure you are having.

This is a very helpful thread.

It is scary to leave behind physicians that have guided us for years.
Gracie - That's one of the major concerns we have. My wife worked in the local hospital and knows most of the Drs. that we go to from when they were residents. We have also been going to the same Vet. for over 30 years. Gonna be hard to make the switch. She has found one Dr. in Richmond that has been great for treating her fibromyalgia and she's very concerned about leaving him. She has tried to get all of them to move to TV when we do. They ain't buyin' it.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy D View Post
Exactech
I sent an email last night to some contacts in orthopedics and they never heard of Exactech. It may be a somewhat regional company. My confidence in The Villages Hospital would be much higher if they had chosen Zimmer or Stryker as their sole choice. Both companies have broad offerings, extensive in-servicing, and proven high quality implants. Companies like them tend to shun lesser quality surgeons, because a surgeon with "bad hands" can screw up the best implants and instrumentation. Draw your own conclusions.

Anyhow, just like the "who makes the best golf cart" threads, here's my list of the best orthopedic implant companies:
1. Stryker and Zimmer (tied)
3. Biomet
4. DePuy
5. Smith and Nephew
Old 08-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I sent an email last night to some contacts in orthopedics and they never heard of Exactech. It may be a somewhat regional company. My confidence in The Villages Hospital would be much higher if they had chosen Zimmer or Stryker as their sole choice. Both companies have broad offerings, extensive in-servicing, and proven high quality implants. Companies like them tend to shun lesser quality surgeons, because a surgeon with "bad hands" can screw up the best implants and instrumentation. Draw your own conclusions.

Anyhow, just like the "who makes the best golf cart" threads, here's my list of the best orthopedic implant companies:
3. Biomet
4. DePuy
5. Smith and Nephew
Your information is excellent. I want you to live on our street.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

3. Biomet
4. DePuy
5. Smith and Nephew
Thank Chi

My understanding form another post is that Exactech is local (Gainesville).
The decision to use this device was based solely on cost.

Please understand I have nothing against The Villages Hospital. I have heard from many that have had procedures done there and feel they got top-notched care. I am surprised at their decision to have dealings with only one company. One size does not fit all.

My understanding is that this was an administrative decision. On the back of the pamplet is a list of 16 board members. Of the 16, only 3 are doctors.
I have a real problem with non-medical people making medical choices that can affect me.

Thanks for the list. I have heard from many and they have given me the names of what they have. Many are on your list.

I can't say it enough--you guys ROCK!!!
Village of Hemmingway
Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Smile Joint replacement

I can not say enough good things about my surgeon, Dr. Duke in Ocala. He replaced both of my knees 5 years ago at West Marion Hospital and I have had no problems. I am good as new, almost. The success also depends on the therapy afterward. You must do this.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Sage

Quote:

3. Biomet
4. DePuy
5. Smith and Nephew
Just saw this recall notice on DePuy Orthopaedic Resurfacing System used in hip replacement surgery. How does a recall like this work?

http://www.jnj.com/connect/news/all/...ASR-Hip-System

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...26-708552.html
Old 08-26-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny46 View Post
I can not say enough good things about my surgeon, Dr. Duke in Ocala. He replaced both of my knees 5 years ago at West Marion Hospital and I have had no problems. I am good as new, almost. The success also depends on the therapy afterward. You must do this.

This is great to hear! I have just had a hip replacement here in Arlington, VA and it was absolutely, positively fantastic and life changing. I agree with you that therapy afterward and probably regular exercise forever is key, but a good surgeon with a good implant can really change your life!

I will probably need the other hip done a some point and possibly a knee so I'll be saving your post. Thanks for the information!
Old 08-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Sunny46

My queston to you is after your surgery did you ever have any face time with Dr Duke or was it always with his PA.

That is one rub I have with Dr Duke and how he handles his practice.....even if you are having a problem..and are scheduled to see him.... you end up seeing the PA.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
This is great to hear! I have just had a hip replacement here in Arlington, VA and it was absolutely, positively fantastic and life changing. I agree with you that therapy afterward and probably regular exercise forever is key, but a good surgeon with a good implant can really change your life!

I will probably need the other hip done a some point and possibly a knee so I'll be saving your post. Thanks for the information!
Hubby is seeing Dr Kerina. Highly recommended from both former patients and hospital staff. No PA, you see him. We are very pleased. Also, his office staff is very efficent.

Surgery is scheduled for Sept 1st.
Village of Hemmingway
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.