Keto or buy new clothes?

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2020, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts
Default Keto or buy new clothes?

Does anyone know when Belk is having their next sale on men's clothing?

An unintended consequence of honoring the quarantine is that a number of items in my closet have now shrunk due to non use...well, that's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it

So, I thought that I would check out Keto dieting

Wow...are you kidding me??? They sent me a 250 page cook book....not a single recipe in it, just page after page listing all the stuff I like that is a 'no-no'...and the substitutes for them (the majority of which I really don't care for)

I like to cook, but I really don't want to spend my life going to various grocery stores to find the ingredients specified in their recipes and then devote the better part of every day preparing/cooking stuff in tiny portions like you'd expect to see at some upscale bistro in Paris along the Seine...especially since I absolutely know that none of it is going to really satisfying me. All I could think of while going through that Keto recipe book was that old burger TV commercial with the old lady asking "Where's the beef?'...although I was saying 'where's the bread?'

I'm still not thrilled about going back to the gym yet

So, I've resigned to taking smaller portions and walking more often, less I end up having to pay online foreign transaction fees because the only place that I can find my size is at "Abdu the Tent Maker's"

Weight Watcher's used to work for me. Having a non judgmental buddy that you'll never see again going through dieting makes it easier. I've lost over 100 lbs. with them (okay, okay it's the same 15 that keep coming back, but still)

I thank my lucky stars and count my blessing that my wife and I have decided upon cremation. Coffins may come in different finishes, but I think they only come in 'one size fits all'...and who wants to burden your loved ones with having to pay to super size it when they're going through the grieving process

Well thanks for listening...I feel better already and have committed to go with smaller portions at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

all bets are off though if Belk comes out with a sale....just saying
Old 06-18-2020, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Yes I miss the gym but you can find many novice exercise programs on internet and if you add a few light hand weights you’ll be fine . Also consider a cheap Ab Roller they’ve been around for ever . I also use outside exercise machines out here in Fenney and then walk . I know it’s not the gym and yes it’s hot , but I’m 81 so it can be done and besides it’s the only way I can keep looking good in my size 28 skinny jeans while eating cupcakes from fresh market and lots of pizza deliveries
Old 06-18-2020, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Just keep the carbs low, avoid anything with either white flour and/or sugar. It works!
Old 06-18-2020, 12:13 PM

I’ve tried many diets over time, all have failed. I’m now on keto and steadily loosing weight.

Don’t fall for expensive books or meal plans, all you need is this:

1. Figure out your BMR, there are tons of calculator for this, just google it. This will tell you how many calories you need to eat to maintain you current weight, BMR is calculated as if you just layed on the couch all day. Any kind of walk, jog, or workout will add to the number of calories you can eat.

2. Get a calorie and macronutrients tracking app on your phone, the two most popular are MyPlate and MyFitnessPal, both are free. Adjust your goal in the app to fit the diet your trying, for keto you want 70% of calories from fat, 25% from protein and 5% from net carbs (carbs minus dietary fiber). Now track everything you eat, get a cheap digital kitchen scale, this will help a lot.

3. Make sure you average less calories in than calories out. The app will help you with this, you can even set it for a certain weight loss goal per week. 1 pound of body fat is 3500 calories, so if you eat 3500 calories less than you burn per week you will loose 1lb per week, guaranteed.

Get some kind of test to measure your ketone levels, keto mojo makes good products, they have both urine and blood test devices.

Experiment in the app, try to make meals that fit your macronutrient percentages out of your favorite food.

Keto is very effective as long as you are disciplined. It will take you about a week to get into the ketonic state, a slice of pizza will throw you right out and it will take 3-4 days of keto eating to get back into it. So cheat days are punishing, but not impossible.

If you have any questions let me know!
Old 06-18-2020, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
Does anyone know when Belk is having their next sale on men's clothing?

An unintended consequence of honoring the quarantine is that a number of items in my closet have now shrunk due to non use...well, that's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it

So, I thought that I would check out Keto dieting

Wow...are you kidding me??? They sent me a 250 page cook book....not a single recipe in it, just page after page listing all the stuff I like that is a 'no-no'...and the substitutes for them (the majority of which I really don't care for)

I like to cook, but I really don't want to spend my life going to various grocery stores to find the ingredients specified in their recipes and then devote the better part of every day preparing/cooking stuff in tiny portions like you'd expect to see at some upscale bistro in Paris along the Seine...especially since I absolutely know that none of it is going to really satisfying me. All I could think of while going through that Keto recipe book was that old burger TV commercial with the old lady asking "Where's the beef?'...although I was saying 'where's the bread?'

I'm still not thrilled about going back to the gym yet

So, I've resigned to taking smaller portions and walking more often, less I end up having to pay online foreign transaction fees because the only place that I can find my size is at "Abdu the Tent Maker's"

Weight Watcher's used to work for me. Having a non judgmental buddy that you'll never see again going through dieting makes it easier. I've lost over 100 lbs. with them (okay, okay it's the same 15 that keep coming back, but still)

I thank my lucky stars and count my blessing that my wife and I have decided upon cremation. Coffins may come in different finishes, but I think they only come in 'one size fits all'...and who wants to burden your loved ones with having to pay to super size it when they're going through the grieving process

Well thanks for listening...I feel better already and have committed to go with smaller portions at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

all bets are off though if Belk comes out with a sale....just saying
To Keto or not to Keto, that is the question. Whether tis better in the mind's of men to consume bread or be admired for the waistline?
Old 06-29-2020, 08:36 AM

Look into "intermittent fasting". (Lots of youtube videos as well as websites where it's explained.) Hubby and I started doing it 2 years ago. Both of us lost substantial weight. Both had to buy new clothes because our old ones were hanging off of us. And the best part is that our blood lab numbers are fantastic since doing intermittent fasting. Our doctors were surprised when we told them how we'd done it. Intermittent fasting is more about "when" you eat rather than "what" or "how much" you eat. It's been an amazing eye-opener for us.

Also, we do a sort of modified Keto/Paleo/Primal eating regimen:

1. We cut down on eating carbs (bread, pizza, etc., but we still eat them occasionally)
2. Cut out sugar as much as possible (switched to things like erythritol)
3. Reduced our consumption of grains, especially wheat, corn, oats and rice
4. Totally stopped using vegetable oils (switched to olive oil, avocado oil and coconut oil)
5. Increased our protein consumption (nothing unreasonable, but making sure we got enough daily/weekly)

We're trimmer and healthier than we've ever been. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2020, 08:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Just keep the carbs low, avoid anything with either white flour and/or sugar. It works!
Davem, you’re hilarious! I agree with tophcfa; keep walking, too. In the early morning, tho. The weight will just drop off, plus your muscle tone will improve.

I told my husband I wasn’t going to buy any clothes this summer until after COVID. I’ll either weigh more at the end of this, weigh less, or be dead. No point in buying new clothes, ‘cause where would I wear them, anyway?
Old 06-29-2020, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Davem, you’re hilarious! I agree with tophcfa; keep walking, too. In the early morning, tho. The weight will just drop off, plus your muscle tone will improve.

I told my husband I wasn’t going to buy any clothes this summer until after COVID. I’ll either weigh more at the end of this, weigh less, or be dead. No point in buying new clothes, ‘cause where would I wear them, anyway?

ya have to laugh at life, otherwise at our age you'd go crazy...good wine also helps too

I've started the early morning walks and have cut back on the portion sizes....that seems to be working

be well
Old 07-23-2020, 10:24 PM
Gold member

Just stay away from carbohydrates and especially sugar and vegetable/seed oils.

I am down to beef, beef liver, salmon, shrimp, butter, and eggs...That's all.

Water and black coffee, of course

Last edited by MorTech; 07-23-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

New clothes. Keto is restrictive and a bit extreme and therefore lowers your immunity system, also low potassium, makes one very tired if follow it for a while.

If you decide to go on it, don’t worry about funny ingredients, they are optional. Only use spices etc you like and the food you like from what is allowed. The main thing is carb control, I got a book of carb counters, counted every carb, even partial ones! and ketosis sticks not expensive, used every day. You can go to any weight you want (body builders use it) but you have to watch how you transition back to regular eating or you gain every pound back.

Personally, enjoy Covid eating and after vaccine is when I’d chose to diet.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:42 PM
Gold member

"Keto is restrictive and a bit extreme and therefore lowers your immunity system"

How so?
Old 07-24-2020, 12:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
"Keto is restrictive and a bit extreme and therefore lowers your immunity system"

How so?
Because you restrict the food groups you can eat greatly, grains etc, you are eating an unbalanced diet, ketosis is not a normal state to be in. And I am speaking from personal experience.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:16 AM
Gold member

Keto actually works, and the six months I adhered to it didn't seem all that restrictive to me. Sure, I occasionally missed crusty bread, pizza, french fries and pasta, but what's wrong with steak and salad; chicken and green vegetables; grilled salmon with a rich sauce? I lost 45 pounds and my waist went from 40 inches to 32. I've maintained the weight loss for five months now by adhering to a modified keto diet. I now eat pasta occasionally, but still avoid potatoes and most things made from flour. I bought a bicycle and ride it five days a week. Honestly, it was not that difficult. And my recent blood work was perfect, with total cholesterol down from 204 to 174.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:35 AM
Bikeracer2009

I was into natural body building for over 30 years and experimented with just about every diet I could find. I read scientific studies and researched what other cultures ate that had lower body fat. What I found to work every time was eating one meal a day. I could eat anything I wanted but had to keep the total calorie count under 1,500. I found eating small meals kept my insulin up too long and insulin blocks fat burning as it is used for fat storage. I also felt hungrier after small meals.

I quit body building but I still go back to one meal a day to drop weight and I found I don't need to exercise to lose weight. It helps though.

The one thing that I had to get used to was being hungry and excepting it as a normal, healthy sensation. It goes away after about an hour or so and returns when I would normally eat. I tell myself that it's like getting wet when it rains, you get used to it. When I would ride my bike up to 14 hours a day I had to deal with rain, being sweaty and uncomfortable on the bike. I just had to except it.

I've had people tell me they don't want to be hungry and they feel they can just eat their way thin. They just made bad choices and good choices will cause a weightloss. They end up gaining more weight because they treat the new choices as an all you can eat buffet.

Good luck
Old 07-24-2020, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I've lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks using Nutrisystem and I'm encouraged. Surprisingly, it does have quite a bit of sugar and carbs, relatively. What it doesn't really have is calories. Here's what it's about - timing and portion size. I eat at 8 (breakfast), 10 (1/2 protein shake), noon (lunch), 3 (snack) 6 (dinner) and 9pm (1/2 protein shake). Average is about 250 calories, or 1500 a day, and I'm not hungry. I've tried zero carbs and keto, but damn if I'm not often "cravenous". I plan to do this another couple of weeks, then go to a lower carb/sugar homemade version of the same structure and foods (ie: a can of tuna is about the same as Nutrisystem tuna).
Closed Thread

Tags
page, keto, portions, size, recipe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.