Kidney Stones

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2017, 08:09 AM
Default Kidney Stones

I am a male 71 yr. old & this is my 1st experience w/a kidney stone. Had a CT scan. It's out of my right kidney & a 4 mm. stone is in my right ureter. Have not passed it. Drinking 2-3 quarts of water daily.

On Cephalexin (an antibiotic) because of blood in urine. Dr says this stone should pass on its own because it's small. Still some discomfort but not like the 1st week. This has been going on for 14 days now. Any suggestions? Any prevention strategies? Thanks
Old 08-13-2017, 08:11 AM
Veteran member

Discover what caused it...cheese? Something else?
Old 08-13-2017, 08:26 AM
Platinum member

During my working life, my workmate, Jerry, passed a couple of stones. After he returned to work, a female co-worker told him that he now knew what it felt like to have a baby. He responded, "When you have a baby wearing a spiked collar, you'll know what it feels like to pass a kidney stone."
Old 08-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

I have documented passing 19 kidney stones in my life and I'm sure there were others that I didn't count, one I had to have removed as it was very large and I don't ever want to go through that again. They only hurt when they get stuck somewhere, passing them is pretty painless and what little pain there is in passing is made up by the relief of not having anymore pain on the way down. I was told that dehydration will get them in motion as your urine is thicker than it should be and being down here in the heat and sun makes that a little more likely, just keep drinking plenty of fluids and it should pass. 6 months ago they found one while taking an ultrasound I was having done for another problem, it was just slightly smaller than yours, last month I had to go back for a follow up test and the stone was no longer there, I only had one day of mild discomfort for that one and it passed at some point so you don't always feel them. Some stones are made up of calcium and others uric acid and/or a combination of both. The ones from uric acid can be partially dissolved by getting a prescription for Poly-Citra problem is they won't know which you have until it comes out and you get it tested. I won't drink tap water that is heavy in calcium, don't know if that is part of the cause or not but since practicing that I have had only two over the last 6 years. I hope you pass it soon without any further pain or discomfort.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

1] Most important - add lemon to that water! Lemon aids in preventing/breaking up kidney stones
2] Eliminate/reduce salt intake - salt can increase calcium, one of the causes of stones
3] Modify protein intake - a great source of increased uric acid - big stimulator of stone formation
4] Eliminate/reduce soft drinks [especially caffeinated types] - tends to reduce the good citric acid
5] Eliminate/reduce caffeinated tea and coffee - same reason as soft drinks

Increase your knowledge re kidney stones: Search - The National Kidney Foundation

Old 08-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts
Default Agree with /njbchbum

My husband was in ER twice with stones, and I have never seen him in such pain. You have my sympathy.

Aside from pain medication, Flomax helped him pass the stones.

He started drinking Simply Lemonade daily and has not had a recurrence since. Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Sympathy

I know what you may be going through. Had them about 15 years ago and spent 5 days in the Stuart Florida hospital. Had never been in a hospital before that. Went in not having ever used pills, came out having to take 3 different pills and still do. None associated with the Kidney Stones. They treated me for the terrible pain and I went home before it was passed but it did about 3 days after I was home. I guess it is hopeful yours was small enough to pass naturally and it is now a wait and see problem. I did not change my diet and have been lucky they have not returned !! This may be the only time you ever get them! Thoughts are with you !!
Old 08-13-2017, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

The good news is that most 4 mm stones will pass on their own, and generally they will give it 3 weeks. If it gets hung up, a urologist can either place a ureteral stent or try to basket the stone with a cystoscope. If you get a high fever despite antibiotics or have intractable nausea and vomiting, they will treat it urgently. Make sure you strain your urine and catch the stone, the only way to make a dietary recommendation is to analyze the stone composition. Good luck and get well soon.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Sage

I was put on a low oxalate, low protein, and low sodium diet after my last surgery for a 1.5 cm stone. This particular diet covers just about everything I eat, very hard to follow the recommendations. After you pass yours and get it tested you will then be told what type you have and what foods and beverages you should avoid or reduce consumption of. No reason to speculate at this point, just wait for it to pass. I once woke up early in the morning south of Orlando with a very painful stone. I went to a gas station, got two gallons of water and a bottle of Advil and headed back to Northern Ohio, very painful trip, I passed it at a rest area in Marietta Ohio 16 hours later, after it passed it was like I never had it. That particular stone was made up of uric acid and calcium, it was about 1/8" square and 1/4" long, didn't hurt coming out but sure did on the way down. Another one I remember looked like a small watch battery, about a 3/8" diameter disc and it caused no pain whatsoever once it left my kidney. They are all different and the discomfort level is different for each of them.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:27 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Drink 2-3 beers everyday. This has worked for me. NO STONES in over 10 years.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Drink 2-3 beers everyday. This has worked for me. NO STONES in over 10 years.
So..........Your kidneys are doing good, your liver, not so much
Old 08-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotogo View Post
I am a male 71 yr. old & this is my 1st experience w/a kidney stone. Had a CT scan. It's out of my right kidney & a 4 mm. stone is in my right ureter. Have not passed it. Drinking 2-3 quarts of water daily.

On Cephalexin (an antibiotic) because of blood in urine. Dr says this stone should pass on its own because it's small. Still some discomfort but not like the 1st week. This has been going on for 14 days now. Any suggestions? Any prevention strategies? Thanks
twotogo: Had a stone 9uric acid) surgically removed in 1980. Passed a number after that.

About 5 years ago my doc discovered three back to back in the U-tube. Since they also were uric acid hard to detect so my doc said he would have to go up after them, told him to be sure to have long and strong instruments ( that's me telling a guy joke )

following surgery he recommended I take allopurinol 300mg. He has been following a tisy black shadow in my kidney since then and believe perhaps the RX is effective for me.

I knew a guy who claimed he passed 40 of them claiming he could pass them the size of a pea OUCH
Old 08-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Sage

The allopurinol helps to control gout also. I take the same dosage every day.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:30 PM

I have had them blasted 2 times.
Drink lemon juice, also Me and many of my friends have used Adolph Meat Tenderizer to help desolve them.
4oz glass of water with 1 tablespoon of tenderizer. Buy the unseasoned kind, the seasoned kinds has things not needed.
My older son just had a bout and drank it about 3 times. He also drank lemon juice. The acid devolves the stones.
Also Apple Cider Vinegar is very acidic and you can mix a teaspoon to glass of water. It is strong so only use it couple times.
If I feel a slight pain I know what it is. I start the tenderizer and also drink the lemon juice. I also drink lots of water.
They form in the kidneys when you kidneys need water...Just had a 10 and a 6 blasted. Dr Sanders is great to.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:07 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
So..........Your kidneys are doing good, your liver, not so much
So far so good!
Closed Thread

Tags
stone, kidney, 1st, discomfort, urine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.