Knee Injections ?

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2020, 02:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlebuis View Post
I had a partial knee replacement for bone on bone problem. My other knee had also been bothering me so I had gel injection. So far a year later and I’m doing well. Dr Karena at Unova did a great job.
I second Dr. Karina at Unova. He did both of my knees. One was a full and the other was a partial. I was up and about in no time at all from both!
Old 03-23-2021, 09:35 AM
Veteran member
Unhappy 6 Shots didn't work for me. Surgery planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
I finally decided to go with Physician Rehab on Rt 44 at Freedom Plaza, a little east past the Villages Brownwood Hotel (PHY Reh have a few other locations ). I previously had a total right knee replacement by Dr Nguyen several years ago and it was very successful but didn't really want to go through another surgery if I could avoid it. Dr Berger at Phy Rehab recommended a 5 shot series of Synvisc >GenVisc850 which I completed on Tuesday. Each week I got 1/2 hr of pt for my knee, the shot then ice, all 100% covered by Medicare and my AARP Gap insurance. The PT was good and I think useful; unfortunately, I'm not a really PT person so the only time I did the exercises was at the office or 1 or 2 times at home. The shots were easy and for the most part painless. The Dr. used a Florascope machine (?) to determine where the shots would go and also used it to view where the shots/gell actually went (with a dye). The Dr. took his time explaining what he was doing at each step in the injection and used the Florascope machine extensively to first determine where to place the needle on my knee at the correct angle and where the needle actually went when he put it in. Dye was used also to help determine where the gel actually went. I don't think he couldn't have done anything more to inject the gel where he wanted it. He indicated 5 Shots were determined by my insurance and this was good since if one of the gel injections didn't quite go into the right spot there were 4 more shot to get it into the right area and like I mentioned before I'm sure he couldn't have done any more to insure the shots were placed where he wanted them.

Now for the actual results. After the 2nd shot, I didn't limp any longer and was able to go up and down the hills on the executive golf courses that were a real issue before the shots. After the 3rd shot, I tried Pickle Ball and that was a complete failure. We dance a lot and dancing was ok (probably because I can control what I do and in PB the movements are much faster and someone else is determining where I have to move to. After the 4th Shot, I could play a little PB at a beginner level and at least try to move after the ball at the adv beginner level. After the 5th shot, I was able to play PB at the advanced beginner level but really can't move after the ball the way I did before my knee injury.
So the bottom line is my knee isn't as good as I would like but is better than it was before the shot and of course, don't know how long the improvement will last for at this point. The Dr. claims there could be an improvement in the next few weeks but time will tell. So far I'm not sorry I tried them since the shots and PT helped and they were really easy and painless to have done. Time will tell if I go a surgery route later. I
Hope I've helped someone make a decision.
I started this topic and I'll provide a finishing update. About 1 month ago my knee started to get worst. I struggle and finally went in for a cortisone shot. After a few days that shot helped some but my knee was still worst then before I had the 6 gel injections. My results are: Even though I was told I was a good candidate for the gel injections and had a series of 6, after about 2 months my knee is clearly not better and to the point I have an appointment to hopefully schedule a complete knee replacement. I'm going to Dr Nguyen who did my right knee and in my opinion is clearly the Dr to go to for knee replacement. He does side replacement and a friend told me yesterday he went in at 5:30am and was released home about 11am. Dr Nguyen associate did his knee but Dr Nguyen assisted. After the surgery he was in minimal pain, no walker and out to dinner a week later walking pretty good I think. They are soon opening an office in The Villages or close by.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
I started this topic and I'll provide a finishing update. About 1 month ago my knee started to get worst. I struggle and finally went in for a cortisone shot. After a few days that shot helped some but my knee was still worst then before I had the 6 gel injections. My results are: Even though I was told I was a good candidate for the gel injections and had a series of 6, after about 2 months my knee is clearly not better and to the point I have an appointment to hopefully schedule a complete knee replacement. I'm going to Dr Nguyen who did my right knee and in my opinion is clearly the Dr to go to for knee replacement. He does side replacement and a friend told me yesterday he went in at 5:30am and was released home about 11am. Dr Nguyen associate did his knee but Dr Nguyen assisted. After the surgery he was in minimal pain, no walker and out to dinner a week later walking pretty good I think. They are soon opening an office in The Villages or close by.
I think you've made a great choice and from personal experience, Dr. Nguyen IS the go to doctor for TKRs. Good Luck!!!
Old 03-23-2021, 09:52 AM

I have had three knee replacements and the VA doctor told me that I knee another one.. So they gave me a metal hinged knee brace.. You might try that.. but I would another knee replacement for sure... today's knee replacement are quicker and easier than the ones put in 10 to 20 years ago... my last one was in 2005 .... Good Luck Slowhand...
Closed Thread

Tags
knee, bone, injections, center, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.