Knee Replacement

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2019, 05:27 AM
Veteran member
Default Knee Replacement

How did you know when you were ready for replacement? Doc says I am ready, but I am not anxious to have it done. Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Most times it is an intolerable pain level that makes the decision.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2019, 07:20 AM

first three weeks are horrible...then....you get your life back.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:37 AM
Gold member

Pain and discomfort brought me to my Orthopedic Doctor.
He had knee ex rayed and showed me
that there wasn’t any cartilage left...it was bone on bone.
Eventually had TKR on both.
So glad I did.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
How did you know when you were ready for replacement? Doc says I am ready, but I am not anxious to have it done. Thanks for any advice.
Doctor told me I was ready on the right knee but I put it off because I didn't want to go through with the operation and learned to tolerate the pain. Then the leg became so bowlegged that the peroneal nerve going around the outside of the knee became aggravated and my right foot went numb. That's when I got the replacement, which straightened the leg, relieved the nerve, and cured the foot numbness. Doctor told me three years ago the left knee is now ready, but again I am putting it off because I can live with the pain and the leg is still relatively straight. However, I can't put it off forever and will probably get it replaced soon as the recovery is easier when younger. Trying to figure out what time of they year would be least disruptive to get it done. That is a much easier decision when up north, but in Florida, when you can be active year round, it is a difficult decision.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:31 PM

DR Rogers in Ocala. uses new technique great compared to pain with old style replacement
Old 06-01-2019, 10:06 AM

I have had both knees replaced. It's elective surgery and you will know when you need replacement. For me it was losing sleep because of constant pain and I could only walk about 1/4 mile at a time. My decision was also a quality of life issue. I really started to suck at golf!!! LOL
Old 06-04-2019, 09:43 AM
Veteran member

You will know when you're ready. When you aren't able to do the things you want because of your knee you will finally decide its time. It's not an easy decision. I waited for years,( Drs told me I was bone on bone) didn't have any significant pain (unusual) but my knee would give out (or felt unstable) doing the things I liked. I finally bit the bullet and it was clearly a good decision. I went with side knee replacement which has less pain, shorter recovery and it worked great. Now I'm getting close to needing the other knee done but waiting until I'm ready. Highly recommend Dr. Steve Nguyen 407 355 3120
Closed Thread

Tags
ready, replacement, anxious, advice, knee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.