knee replacement with catheter?

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2017, 07:20 PM
Default knee replacement with catheter?

My friend is in an absolute panic about her upcoming knee replacement surgery. She was doing OK, until they made her take a class about the upcoming surgery, and showed her around the hospital rehab. Now - she is so so scared.

She really hates having to take meds to control pain. They were talking about some sort of catheter to put in the leg. Has anyone had that done before. She also does not want a spinal. Any words of advice I can give her to calm her down???
Old 11-28-2017, 07:47 PM
Veteran member

The catheter may be one into her bladder for a day or two. She'd should be happy with that if it is. Less using the bedpan or struggling to the bathroom. Ice could be used for pain and to reduce swelling. They'll get the knee moving very quickly with a passive machine. Of course she has the option of living with the pain as it is and it won't get better, or get the replacement. Which do you want? Then do it. She's got professionals all over the place who know how to care for her. She needs to let them do their job and trust them.
A retired rehab nurse.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oot View Post
My friend is in an absolute panic about her upcoming knee replacement surgery. She was doing OK, until they made her take a class about the upcoming surgery, and showed her around the hospital rehab. Now - she is so so scared.

She really hates having to take meds to control pain. They were talking about some sort of catheter to put in the leg. Has anyone had that done before. She also does not want a spinal. Any words of advice I can give her to calm her down???
From my total knee replacement experience in 2013, I'll give my opinion. Taking it a step at a time, pain meds: There is no requirement to take them. Most likely she will be prescribed pain meds to use only if necessary. Sometimes the rehab makes a patient feel pain to a certain extent. It's better to have them and not use them than the other way around. Catheter in the leg: This sounds like what I had for a week or so after surgery and it had nothing to do with the urinary tract. It was a very small wire inserted just under the skin of my inside thigh that was attached to a medicine filled ball that I squeezed when I felt discomfort, instead of taking a pain pill. Spinal: I was given what I think was propofol, just enough to put me under and keep me under during surgery. Then I was given a spinal, I never knew when or how, she won't either, and I had zero side effects from either.
She should ask her surgeon or PA about these concerns. But, I can assure her that what she has endured with the bad knee is hell compared to surgery and rehab. She can get through this, many of us have.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Been there and done that. Knee replacements are not fun, but way better than living with the pain of a very bad knee. If one is going to go through the process, then trust your doctor and do as advised. My best advise is to get in the best shape you can before the surgery and then hit the rehab as hard as possible after the surgery. Pain is involved and unavoidable. Do whatever is necessary to fight through the pain and work on your range of motion. If you ignore the rehab, you will end up with a stiff knee and will not be happy with the surgery results. I am not looking forward to the unavoidable time when the other knee needs to be done, but when it comes I will suck it up and deal with it. What else can you do? My other advise is to take up swimming, the best possible exercise for those of us with bad knees. Good Luck!
Old 11-28-2017, 09:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oot View Post

I had a knee replacement in 2011 and another in 2016. First one they used the machine to bend my knee repeatedly.....they no longer use those. First surgery, I was in the hospital 2 full days, went home on the 3rd day. Second surgery, I was in the hospital 1 full day, went home the 2nd day. With the spinal, I felt so much better afterwards. I was clear headed instead of groggy and dopey. I felt like getting up and moving about which she will do within a couple of hours after surgery. I know nothing about the catheter, did not have anything like that after either surgery. Everyone's tolerance to pain is different but she will convalesce faster with pain control. Tell her to talk to her surgeon or the nurse practitioner about her concerns.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Sage

I have been through many a surgery and have had that panic feeling like she is having. Sometimes too much information is not good. What calmed me down was my good friend calling me to talk to me the night before surgery which is the worst time. Try to focus on the positive. Also talking to someone who had a good experience with the same doctor helped me a lot. Not sure if that is possible but I believe that would help.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:49 PM
Sage

My surgery was very successful...very little pain and a nearly-like-new knee when it...and the therapy...was complete.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:59 AM

Thanks for all your replies. I know when I had surgery, hearing from others that had the procedure done made me feel much better. So far, my knees are good, so all I can give her is encouragement.

I am passing on your words of wisdom. Hopefully next year, she will be able to travel do I can finally bring her down here to see this place. It's on her bucket list. My goal is to get her to stay. She will love it here!

Thanks again
Old 11-29-2017, 10:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Your outcome from knee replacement surgery depends upon a persons physical shape (obviously the more active person before the surgery he/she shouid have more muscle strength) and of course the Doctor or surgeon selected.

I had 2 knee replacements (2014 and 2015) and honestly pain was not a big issue. Yes I took pain meds but that was really for the physical therapy I would go to 3 times a week plus for my at home exercises. Pt is a necessity..the more you do the faster the recovery. You will hear the PT say you need to reach 120 degree bend in the knee, with time you should be able to reach that goal.

I went to Dr Steve Nguyen in Orlando...cannot say enough about this doctor and if you talk to some PTs in the area, they love to work on his patients. ON Medicare so I spent one day in the hospital, (but he does outpatient knee replacement surgery also) walking with some aid the first night, on the 3rd day walking on my own unaided (no walker). My first PT visit I was already at about 113-114 degrees . Did alot of walking around the block, plus after 2-3 weeks walking in the pool.

Today I could not be happier,playing golf and water volleyball, and walking my hearts content on vacations etc.

Optimotion Orthopaedics
Old 11-29-2017, 01:30 PM

My wife had her second knee replacement this past June with Dr. Nguyen and couldn`t be happier with him and also Dr. Phillips Hospital. She is walking freely now without the awful pain that she used to have. She would recommend him very highly if you need a knee replaced.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:24 PM
Platinum member

I had 2 knee replacements with Dr. Stephen Nguyen in 2015. I was 64 (no medicare, so no overnight stay was required) both were spinals and I was scared because I had never had one before. I had to be at the surgery center in Orlando at 5:30AM, surgery was at 7AM, woke up at 9AM and walked out the door at noon both times. No catheter either. Now if you have medicare you go into Dr. Phillips hospital and are there for one night. I think Dr. Williams in the Sharon Morse Bldg requires 2 nights according to my neighbors. Tell her not to be scared, the results are worth it and the meds are up to her if she wants them or takes them. I filled the scripts and followed the directions to a tee but never did use the hydrocodine or oxycodine, used extra arthritis strength tylenol but did use the other non habit forming meds.
Closed Thread

Tags
surgery, upcoming, knee, catheter, replacement

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.