Knee replacement soon, tips on post recovery? (e.g. bathing, etc)

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2021, 10:30 AM

I really appreciate the thoughtfulness of your suggestions and the caring intent with which they are offered. Thanks... Dean
Old 01-01-2021, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida17 View Post
Swim!
Shhhhhhhhh, the sports pools are already too crowded!

Last edited by tophcfa; 01-02-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:37 PM
Location: Village of St. Catherine; Livonia,MI; Chicago,IL; Olive Branch,MS; Searcy,AR; Tulsa,OK; Moon Twp,PA

I am 6 weeks out from my 2nd knee being done. Honestly, it hurts like heck. Stay on top of the pain meds (and don't be ashamed if you need to ask for me if they aren't working), push through the pain and do all the PT, rely on family and friends to help out (the first 2 weeks are the worst...you need help with EVERYTHING). At 4 works I started to massage the scar, to prevent scar tissue from forming. I had that happen on the 1st knee and ended up having to have a manual manipulation done; which is not fun. Ice and elevate is so important. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingcnslts View Post
I had doctor Duke do one leg and I agree with all the post EXCEPT " Find a Doctor who goes in the side instead of down the middle" , I had my second knee done on the side and there is no comparison in recovery time. I was playing golf after 10 days with the second knee with no pain.
Which doctor did yours down the side?
Old 01-07-2021, 06:21 AM

Had my right knee replaced Tuesday, the 5th, at West Marion by Dr Duke. Last operation of the day for him at 3:30 (actually started at 4:00 and was over before 5:00). Into Recovery to await coming out of spinal block and for room to open. West Marion had a full house but did get into a room at 6:30. The rooms are all single patient rooms and nicely done. I had a really great night nurse, Jocelyn. She was always there when needed or was quick to let me know if she was delayed serving another patient. She said she average 60-66,000 steps each night! She changed my dressing about mid-night and said her goal was to get me walking before her shift ended. Since I had a late surgery my walking came at 6am.

Quads are really stiff and sore, more so than my knee. Knee itself is not making a statement since the quads are yelling. Breakfast was non-cardiac with bacon, French toast and scrambled eggs. Had my round of pt at 8:30 and was checked out by 12:30. My surgical wound was closed by subcutaneous stitching, then steri-strips, covered by gauze strip and 3"wide clear plastic tape. I'm good to shower anytime...though not charging into that yet.

I've just ordered a tray to fit over the handles of my walker. Found that navigating hot cup of coffee and iced water bottles to my ice machine needed some help. I expect home-pt visits to start today, probably later in the day.

Left the hospital with 4 scripts, two regular and two narcotic. The regular were called in but you have to hand-deliver the narcotic ones to the pharmacy. So far I've not needed to tap the 20 pills of oxy..I have used the Tramadol HCL pills that call for 1pill 3x's per day for 14 days.

I don't know how people manage getting 2 knees done at same time. I know they do, but wow... not for me.

So that's all for now, perhaps I'll update this later in the process.

Dean
Old 01-07-2021, 07:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingcnslts View Post
I had doctor Duke do one leg and I agree with all the post EXCEPT " Find a Doctor who goes in the side instead of down the middle" , I had my second knee done on the side and there is no comparison in recovery time. I was playing golf after 10 days with the second knee with no pain.
I have searched high and low,and cannot find any reference for total knee replacement where surgeon enters knee from side.
10 days and no pain from total replacement?
I don't think so.
I don't know what proceedure you had, but I would take any odds it was not a total knee replacement.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:26 AM
Veteran member

I had a TKR with Dr. Karina at UNOVA and the pain was minimal. I was only on pain meds for a few (3 or 4 if I remember correctly) days. Oh, and he did NOT do side, but he is great. I was up and about in no time at all.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:04 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I have searched high and low,and cannot find any reference for total knee replacement where surgeon enters knee from side.
10 days and no pain from total replacement?
I don't think so.
I don't know what proceedure you had, but I would take any odds it was not a total knee replacement.
I am amazed no one jumped in with his name sooner. Dr. Steve Nguyen I believe is the Dr. you are asking about. He has had many accolades on here. Our friend had 2 separate replacements with him, excellent results. He does, however, have an extremely packed schedule. I believe he is located in Orlando, please correct me if I have the wrong Dr.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
I am amazed no one jumped in with his name sooner. Dr. Steve Nguyen I believe is the Dr. you are asking about. He has had many accolades on here. Our friend had 2 separate replacements with him, excellent results. He does, however, have an extremely packed schedule. I believe he is located in Orlando, please correct me if I have the wrong Dr.
Thanks for that.
Seems the way to go to make recovery quicker.
Another bet lost!
Closed Thread

Tags
knee, tka, equipment, tips, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.