Knee replacement soon, tips on post recovery? (e.g. bathing, etc)

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2020, 05:45 AM
Default Knee replacement soon, tips on post recovery? (e.g. bathing, etc)

Getting TKA right knee from Dr. Duke next week. I've been doing all his recommended pre-surgery exercises and not having problems there. I'm just wondering from your experience with TKA what tips you think would be useful post-surgery. Also, I plan on getting equipment I'll need from Helping Hands in Spanish Springs...what equipment did you find most useful?

Thanks...
Old 12-30-2020, 06:18 AM

Tips from the care giver/spouse of hubby who had both done (different times) in 2020. Knee replacements are like children....each one is different. Equipment: Walker, cane, raised toilet seat if yours is not already, shower chair...at least for support in the shower. Could use Walker for that also but then you have a wet Walker. Ice will be your friend. But if some is good more is not better. Use the 20/30 minute on rule. Be patient with yourself, use pain meds and keep moving. Exercises will hurt initially but do them. Good luck
Old 12-30-2020, 08:11 AM

Ice Machine, circulates cold water thru cuff on knee. Stationary bike. Good luck
Old 12-30-2020, 09:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

There is a plastic thigh-high leg cast protector that you can pull over your leg when you sit in the shower that works well.

Amazon.com
Old 12-30-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_hoosier View Post
Getting TKA right knee from Dr. Duke next week. ... I'm just wondering from your experience with TKA what tips you think would be useful post-surgery.
Thanks...
I've still got both of my "Original Equipment Manufacturer" (car repair jargon) knees, but my wife had both of hers replaced, and it's made a huge improvement to her level of mobility and overall quality of life.

Her main advice to anyone considering knee replacements is to do your physical therapy. All of it. Yes, it'll hurt. Do it anyway. All of it. She's convinced that the main reason that people have trouble with knee replacements is that they skimp on their PT, so don't do that. Best of luck.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I found a couple of wraps of cling film over the dressing kept my leg dry in the shower.
Don't spend a lot on icing. A packet of frozen veg will work.
Do the exercises however bad a day you are having painwise.
Gets easier after 2-3 weeks.
Do the exercises in both legs.
I concentrated on the bad leg, and the good leg finished up weaker.
Walk, walk, and more walk, and concentrate on not developing a limp.
Not pleasent early on, but the more you put into the recovery exercises, the more you get out of the replacement.
The movement you have after about 7 weeks, is about what you will always have.
Good luck.

MTC.

Last edited by Two Bills; 12-30-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

The first couple of weeks after surgery is all about working range of motion. If you don’t work the range of motion you can end up with a stiff knee for the rest of your life. Strengthening can begin once range is established. Range of motion hurts, be ready for some pain, especially the fully straightened range. Get some good stool softeners as the pain meds will bind you up. My knee was stapled, and could not get wet for a couple of weeks, but that was 10 years ago. I think they glue the knee closed now so you can shower much sooner. The highlight of my knee replacement was that my lovely wife gave me a couple of sponge baths before I could shower. At least I got that to look forward to when I get the other knee done : )
Old 12-30-2020, 12:09 PM

seat for the shower if you don't already have one. A hand held shower head so you can rinse off your nether regions without soaking the incision. Grab bar by the toilet should suffice instead of a raised seat, unless you are really weak in the upper body. Agree with therapy therapy therapy. If that new knee gets frozen, you are in a heap of trouble. Be glad you live in the Villages in a ranch style house instead of a house with lots of stairs. Best of luck.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead View Post
Ice Machine, circulates cold water thru cuff on knee. Stationary bike. Good luck
I can't agree with Pinhead enough. Get the ice machine!!! It keeps the pain way down as well as the swelling.

Also, do all of your exercises.

Finally, immediately after surgery, you will most likely be given some STRONG pain meds. TAKE THEM!!! It's only for a couple of days. If you wait for the pain to get bad, you will never catch up with the meds.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:46 PM

Ditto! The ice machine was wonderful. It's worth the $100 investment.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:52 PM
Sage

I believe the ice machine being referred to is called a cryo cuff. They work great. I still use mine 10 years after the knee replacement whenever either knee acts up.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:56 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

A grab bar to raise yourself from the commode ! Ice , ice and more ice! Enjoy the naps! Lock up your pain meds... your visitors will help themselves
Old 12-30-2020, 03:46 PM
Sage

This is what my knee looked like the day after the surgery when they sent me home. Picture taken 3/19/2011. I think they do it differently these days. Don't forget to set up a very comfortable recliner in from of the TV and have everything you might need on the side table (clicker, water, reading material and glasses, tablet, phone, meds, etc....). Also, a small backpack comes in handy to carry stuff around the first couple of days when you are using crutches or a walker. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	tkr.jpg
Views:	1953
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	87530  
Old 12-30-2020, 05:31 PM

Thanks for your ideas....
Old 12-30-2020, 05:32 PM

good... I have both.. neighbor had the ice device and I've had the stationary rec bike routine for years.

Tags
knee, tka, equipment, tips, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.