Knee surgery with Dr Nguyen

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2019, 04:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
I'm going to try ice, I mean what could my doc have done different than any other. It was a side cut TKR and I had it done outpatient. Thanks for your advice.

If it were me, I’d call him and ask why. Maybe there’s a good reason. You’ve gotten opinions from people with experience. It’s your body and you are clearly entitled to ask questions.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:55 PM

I would call. Better safe than sorry. I just find it strange because most of the people I know that had it, including myself, they started icing right away. Even when the physical therapist called to make an appointment he said make sure your icing. Go figure! Best of luck hope you are pain free soon.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
I'm going to try ice, I mean what could my doc have done different than any other. It was a side cut TKR and I had it done outpatient. Thanks for your advice.
You had this done the last day of January. This is the middle of March. At this point, you REALLY need to have a discussion with your doctor, not people on an internet forum. Ice would have been applied the first two weeks, at the very least.

Did you get -written- instructions from the doctor? Did you have a follow-up appointment? If no to -either- of these things, then something is being left out of your situation here.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
You had this done the last day of January. This is the middle of March. At this point, you REALLY need to have a discussion with your doctor, not people on an internet forum. Ice would have been applied the first two weeks, at the very least.

Did you get -written- instructions from the doctor? Did you have a follow-up appointment? If no to -either- of these things, then something is being left out of your situation here.
6 weeks March 12th, appointment went well,off PT. Doctors instruction booklet clearly state "NO ICE" whatsoever. I mentioned I wanted to try Ice, the medical asistant said NO, and he would not mention that to the doctor.....so
thats where I stand.
Any Nguyen patients out there?

I am going to go away from doc orders and I'm going to try Icing
Old 03-17-2019, 06:54 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

My husband had a total knee replacement by Nguyen 6 months ago. Kstew43 is absolutely correct - Nguyen does NOT want ice on the knee. He recommends heat above the knee (to stimulate circulation). Kstew43 - many people sing the praises of Nguyen, but my husband still has pain, soreness and his knee is still weak. This is 6 months post surgery. He just saw Nguyen a week ago. Nguyen said it will take a year for his knee to heal. So, we are hopeful that his knee will improve in the next few months.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
And let me add, Dr. Nguyen gave me a little device that looks like an igloo cooler, filled with ice and water, with a pad that wraps around the knee. This device ices the knee. So unless something has changed, he definitely recommends ice.

https://sourcecoldtherapy.com/iceman...RoCAZcQAvD_BwE
Our son had that same device for both of his ACL surgeries. It has a pump that circulates the ice water. What a miracle invention.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Our son had that same device for both of his ACL surgeries. It has a pump that circulates the ice water. What a miracle invention.
It's a great little gadget. We've used it when tweaking this or that, and my daughter used it on her foot after pickle ball. Sure beats an ice bag.
Closed Thread

Tags
knee, ice, nguyen, orders, drs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.