Knees!

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2017, 06:26 AM

Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville... had both knees replaced. Fabulous
Old 10-30-2017, 07:01 AM

Steve is without a doubt the best. Wife had both knees done in the past year, you will take you first walk just hours after the surgery. Her rehab PT was around 5-6 weeks both times and done locally at Colony. Definitely worth the trip!!
Old 10-30-2017, 07:39 AM

I had both of knees replaced at the same time in March of 2013 by Dr Couch in Ocala, Fl. 352 433 0133, He does fantastic work and has a great bed side matter, I would would highly recommend him. I took my first steps the next morning, was in rehab in two days and walking with a walker in three days, If you need both knees replaced and can get both done at the same time I recommend it.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:52 AM

You should find an orthopedic doctor and first start injection treatments to see if that resolves your pain. If that doesn’t help you may need a knee replacement. Dr Nguyen (pronounced Winn) in Orlando is one of the best. I would avoid Dr Olliverre, messed mine up horribly.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Not to be facetious when my personal observation a lot of knee problems could be corrected by some loss of weight. This is just my personal observation
Old 10-30-2017, 08:00 AM

Do NOT go to Davis Clinic.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:13 AM

Orthopedic surgeons are my LAST stop !!!!

I prefer acupuncture and traditional chinese medicine approaches. I use Lisa Forsythe at Mulberry integrative medicine in Lake Sumter landing.

I have used holistic health approaches for 20 yr. I am now 70 and rarely think of my knees ( after a journey of not walking for 3 months and 8 months of rehab for swollen knees from lyme disease)
I intend to keep my "original parts" so to speak, we have become replacement crazy as the cure all
Old 10-30-2017, 10:34 AM
Veteran member
Default Knees

[QUOTE=Judith Ann;1467211]My knees are causing me grief, and I know I'm not alone.

I imagine I start with an orthopedic doctor. I would appreciate
hearing about your experiences with different treatments, surgery,
and what doctors you would recommend.

OK here are some thoughts. Finding the right doctor is a real challenge. I understand there is a Vietnamese doctor in Orlando? who does a side entry on the replacement and that method will minimize the surgical accesses? Mine was done in Oregon about 3 years ago, it is not the best (##***). Front entry, big job. There is another doctor i believe who is reportedly very good but that is all I know. (Dr Duke). It is a long shot, it is a very tricky area and all I can say is do the homework, do it well, because after it is done, it probably cannot be fixed? Recovery is long and the leg after replacement has to be flexed, bent to 120 degrees. Again, visualize a straight leg, then bend 90 then bend 30 degrees more. That is mandatory and during rehab,
YOU MUST DO THIS TO GET TOTAL FLEXIBILITY AND DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT.
I made a cardboard template with the angle on it, and made up a strap of webbing with a loop so I could lay on the bed and pull like all whatever to get the flexed angle.
Ouch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I mean Ouch, but do it for sure to guarantee flexibility, some doctors I understand do not tell you that!!!!! I found out from a therapist, like, i need the angle to go for. I made a template and had my wife pull and pull and use the template to measure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this goes on for the first 6-12 months to get that flex in the leg. Just do it.
bbbbbb
Old 10-30-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Ann View Post
My knees are causing me grief, and I know I'm not alone.

Thank you!
HI JUDITH

WOULD BE HAPPY TO SHARE MY LONG EXPERIENCE WITH KNEE PROBLEMS INCLUDING SURGERY, INJECTIONS PROLOZONE THERAPY AND THE LATEST
ON THE "HIT PARADE" INSTAFLEX" ADVANCED
ITS A SUPPLEMENT...NOT CHEAP BUT YOU CAN GET A 14 DAY FREE TRIAL TO SEE IF THERE IS A CHANGE
I HAD A MIRACULOUS CHANGE.
AFTER 1 WEEK ON THE PILL....MY PAIN WENT FROM A 9.5 TO A 6 SO THAT IN ITSELF IS BETTER THAN ANYTHING TRIED AND NOW IT HAS BEEN ABOUT 6 WEEKS AND MY PAIN IS BETWEEN A 1 + 2 1/2

NOW I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IF WE CAN COMPLETELY RECOVER. BTW I HAVE SUFFERRED FOR OVER 40 YEARS AND I AM ONLY 67

BE HAPPY TO FURTHER CHAT IF YOU LIKE AND DISCUSS DIFFERENT THERAPIES I TRIED INCLUDING A WELL ADVERTISED THERAPY RIGHT HERE IN VILLAGES BUT DIDNT GO THROUGH WITH IT AS THEY WANTED $2000

COMPANY FOR INSTAFLEX SELLS PILLS FOR $69 AFTER TRIAL BUT I FO
UND THEM ON JET.COM FOR $47 AND Walmart AT $51 COMPANY SAID THEY WOULD MATCH IT BUT HAVE TO GO ON REGULAR DELIVERY EVERY THIRTY DAYS...NOT SURE WHAT I WILL DO ALBEIT I HAVE TO ORDER THIS WEEK

CHEERS

MIKE:
Old 10-30-2017, 12:48 PM
Veteran member

Someone said to me last week: "remember when we used to talk about our left knee or right knee instead of the good one or the bad one".
Old 10-30-2017, 03:24 PM

Hello. I had a total knee replacement last Labor Day (2016). Dr Michael Messieh did the surgery and he's done several of my friends and is doing another one on 12/4. He also does the "side" or "lateral" surgery and I could not be more happy with the results. He's a single practitioner and he has one of the finest office staffs I have ever encountered. His pre and post-op attention was superior. He does see patients on Wednesdays in The Villages and his office is located in Clermont. Surgery is done in Davenport and you're in a joint replacement facility within a hospital. 5 star reviews on his website. Great doctor.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

[QUOTE=bbbbbb;1468345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Ann View Post
My knees are causing me grief, and I know I'm not alone.

OK here are some thoughts. Finding the right doctor is a real challenge. I understand there is a Vietnamese doctor in Orlando? who does a side entry on the replacement and that method will minimize the surgical accesses? Mine was done in Oregon about 3 years ago, it is not the best (##***). Front entry, big job. There is another doctor i believe who is reportedly very good but that is all I know. (Dr Duke). It is a long shot, it is a very tricky area and all I can say is do the homework, do it well, because after it is done, it probably cannot be fixed? Recovery is long and the leg after replacement has to be flexed, bent to 120 degrees. Again, visualize a straight leg, then bend 90 then bend 30 degrees more. That is mandatory and during rehab,
YOU MUST DO THIS TO GET TOTAL FLEXIBILITY AND DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT.
I made a cardboard template with the angle on it, and made up a strap of webbing with a loop so I could lay on the bed and pull like all whatever to get the flexed angle.
Ouch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I mean Ouch, but do it for sure to guarantee flexibility, some doctors I understand do not tell you that!!!!! I found out from a therapist, like, i need the angle to go for. I made a template and had my wife pull and pull and use the template to measure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this goes on for the first 6-12 months to get that flex in the leg. Just do it.
bbbbbb
If my memory is correct I had about 112 -115 degree on the first day of PT after Dr Nguyen's surgery...hitting 120 did take some work but with home exercises (lying in bed with a sheet pulling your foot back to flex the knee) in addition to the actual PT that was done with the therapist, we accomplished our goal. (Everyone NEEDS to do this...this is NOT optional) By week 4, the therapist asked me what else I needed to do...I said I wanted to jump for I play water Volley Ball. SHe put me on a mini-trampoline and I jumped. She also tossed balls to my right and then to my left to get range of motion.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:31 PM

First use some WD 40 on them. No kidding. My Mom did that for years. Second try to build up the muscles below and above the knees.
Keep them working as much as possible. 🙏🙏4U
Old 10-30-2017, 10:05 PM
Sage
Default Knees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug526 View Post
First use some WD 40 on them. No kidding. My Mom did that for years. Second try to build up the muscles below and above the knees.

Keep them working as much as possible. [emoji120][emoji120]4U

The story behind the name WD40 is very interesting. It was developed for NASA to inhibit humidity corrosion on components during the original Mercury missions. WD is an acronym for Water Displacement & the “40” is the number of “tries” it took to get their formula just right.
Your mother’s knees are just another use for this all around lubricant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2017, 05:34 AM

He does have a list if he has cancellations was originally scheduled for 2/9/17 but kept calling was moved up to 11/17/16 then to 10/11/16 then to 9/27/16 only in hospital 1 day was back on golf course after 4 1/2 weeks He was fantastic. I still have trouble with knee done in 2009 in Illinois. i got travel benifits from Bc/bs and was considered in network even thou fulltime Illinois resident. Best decision I ever made!
Closed Thread

Tags
knees, hearing, experiences, surgery, recommend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.