Laminectomy

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Send a message via AIM to LynnDeb
Unhappy Laminectomy

Hi All,
Had MRI, went to Dr. Bono. Recommended a laminectomy....
Any opinions??

Will admit I'm scared.
Only have my NY GHI no Medicare do have B/C...B/S

Opinions Please..

Thanx, Lynn
Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Sorry I don't have an opinion to offer so I will simply offer my prayers and hope for the best outcome for you.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnDeb View Post
Hi All,
Had MRI, went to Dr. Bono. Recommended a laminectomy....
Any opinions??

Will admit I'm scared.
Only have my NY GHI no Medicare do have B/C...B/S

Opinions Please..

Thanx, Lynn
I had an L-5 laminectomy way back in 1986. Have not had problems since. Prior to that I had periodic bouts of debilitating back pain. When one instance created such pain that I could not put weight on my right leg, the doctor recommended the surgery. I can not comment on the doctor you sited, but if necessary the surgery can make a significant improvement in your life.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:16 PM

I had the surgery 4 years ago after 2 years of daily pain and it was the best thing I ever did. I wished I had it done long ago.
However when it comes to back pain everyone's situation is different and that makes your decision more difficult. I only know that I should not have waited as long as I did, because there is more nerve damage happening every day. Good luck I hope everything works out for you.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:34 AM

I have been plagued with back issue's since 1987. But, had a procedure performed about 2 1/2 months ago and pain is gone.
Are there any other options for you besides surgery? Second opinion
Old 01-18-2014, 07:48 AM

Had mine about 25 Yes ago no problems what other treatment was discussed or done ? Physical therapy
And injections sometimes help but it depends on the findings on the MRI
Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I've had three laminectomies. With today's technology they are a piece of cake. I was in and out of the hospital in about four hours for the last one.

Advances in this procedure have come so far that it is no longer anything to be feared. You don't have to live with that pain.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:58 AM
Sage

I don't know anything about Dr. Bono.... BUT, I would recommend a 2nd opinion with Dr. Daniel Spurrier, whose a neurosurgeon here in T.V. I had a dissectomy by him in '12 and the outcome was very good. He does it arthroscopically, day-surgery, 2 week recovery period. Heard NOT one bad thing about him from many, many health-care people here. Physical therapists says he does the best surgeries of "any"...and they see a lot of patients.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Platinum member

I certainly can't give you medical advice, but I'll tell you my experience. I went to Gulfcoast Spine Institute, where Dr. Bono practices, for major back pain due to three crushed vertebra. Dr. Ronzo, the associate of Dr. Bono, looked at the MRI and said he could remove the pain. He performed a kyphoplasty and I had immediate pain relief.

It would have been one-day in-and-out surgery except for my allergic reaction to a medication I was given. The incision was covered with a band-aid.

The office staff people were great to work with and very pleasant. The physician's assistant was excellent.

My lumbar laminectomy involved my entire lumbar and thoracic spine with complications from a trip and fall injury, so cannot be compared to your situation. I had that surgery done at the University of Florida Medical School Shands Hospital in Gainesville.

Other people have told me that their laminectomies were very successful.

What ever you decide, good luck.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.