Laser periodontal surgery

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Default Laser periodontal surgery

Has anyone ever had laser periodontal surgery?
Do you recommend it?
How long was your recuperation?
Thank you

Last edited by Doco2; 09-09-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Word misspelled
Old 09-09-2014, 03:13 PM

I had laser periodontal surgery done about 8 years ago. I had one quadrant done at a time and the periodontist wanted a two month healing before doing the next quadrant so it took nearly a year to complete the process.

The procedure starts with getting plenty of novocaine, then the pockets are opened and sterilized with the laser. The periodontist then for the next 2 hours uses a number of various instruments and a chemical solution to deep clean and flush the teeth roots of debris so the surface becomes smooth enabling the gum tissue reattach with a tighter seal. After this is done the pockets are closed back up with the laser. I felt no pain during or after the procedure.

As with any periodontal work following you must maintain meticulous hygiene or the problem will come back. As my periodontist says "this is germ warfare". Since having the procedure I became OCD with my dental hygiene, but unfortunately still developed some pocketing with a couple of my teeth that we are just keeping an eye on for now. This process is hands down better than the gum cutting method as it is better at preserving gum tissue.

Good luck and if you have any additional questions ask away.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:03 PM

Thank you for your response and experience. Mine suggested a two step process doing half at a time. Not looking forward to it as Novocain doesn't work on me.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

What is the name of the periodontist who does this procedure by laser?
Old 09-10-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
What is the name of the periodontist who does this procedure by laser?
I had laser surgery in April by Dr. Dennis David. I would recommend him very highly, the whole procedure went much better than I could have ever imagined, no pain,no bleeding, and no swelling. The procedure was done in 2 sessions.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doco2 View Post
Thank you for your response and experience. Mine suggested a two step process doing half at a time. Not looking forward to it as Novocain doesn't work on me.
I had the two session option also but just could not imagine having someone continuously in my mouth for 3 hours. Good luck!!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:16 PM

Can someone give me an estimate of the cost for the laser periodontics procedure - my husband was referred to Dr. Dennis Davis - thanks so much.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:24 PM

Has anyone used Dr. Davis - were you satisfied? Thanks.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:39 AM
Default Cost of Laser Periodontal Surgery

Help - Can someone give me an estimate of the cost for this procedure? If you had this done, have you had any additional problems? Thanks so much.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWRDW View Post
Help - Can someone give me an estimate of the cost for this procedure? If you had this done, have you had any additional problems? Thanks so much.
I had my 4 quadrants done about eight years ago and the cost was $2,000 per quadrant. Knowing I was going to have this done I picked up Delta Dental through AAA in addition a Metropolitan plan I have from work and both paid a good percentage of the cost. I think I ended up paying give or take $1,000, and I then cancelled Delta Dental about a year after I completed the procedure.

The only problems I have had is my two back wisdom teeth repocketed, and they are going to be pulled in the near future. My periodontist suggested they get pulled pre procedure, but I did not want to got through the pulling at that time which I should have. The other problem I encountered is gum recession of my 4 front upper teeth which I have procelain veneers on. My dentist just recently filled the recession gaps with resin to protect the roots and it looks pretty good considering.

At present I no longer see my periodontist as he retired and I did not care for the doctor who took over the practice, so my great dentist and hygenist and my meticulous self do a fine job with my periodontal maintenance.

All in all I am glad I had this done because it did save my teeth.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.