Lasik eye surgery......

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Veteran member
Question Lasik eye surgery......

Anybody had the Lasik eye surgery? If so, are you pleased with the outcome?

I've had multiple tests that indicate I am a good candidate for a successful outcome from the surgery based upon my corneal thickeness and all the other factors. I've been considering it for a few years and have done my research.

I would LOVE not having to wear glasses all the time!!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:16 PM

I had it done over 10 years ago as part of the FDA experiment. best thing I ever did for myself. I can still see without glasses and because I had monovision done, I still do not need reading glasses at age 58. Technology has improved vastly since my surgery. If you ahve it done, make sure you go to a reputable location, price should not be the decisionmaking factor, quality and followup of care are very important.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Default Lask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettiboop View Post
Anybody had the Lasik eye surgery? If so, are you pleased with the outcome?

I've had multiple tests that indicate I am a good candidate for a successful outcome from the surgery based upon my corneal thickeness and all the other factors. I've been considering it for a few years and have done my research.

I would LOVE not having to wear glasses all the time!!
I had mine done in '98 back in Michigan at Henry Ford. The key is being a good candidate and finding an excellent surgeon. The procedure took just a few minutes. Results can vary, but I'm pleased. Be sure to follow up as recommended. Blue Cross covered everything, but no so anymore.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:05 PM

I had mine done in 1999 and it turned out great. The earlier post gave some good advice - be sure to go to a highly endorsed doctor. Mr Doctor was Jay Pepose in St. Louis and has taught other doctors nationwide. I'm 68 and don't wear glasses to read (ever for that matter) Do be advised that there can be a periodic "tuneup" after 8 or 10 years. This isn't always the case but does happen. Good Luck
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Veteran member

Thanks, it is good to hear the positive experiences. That is encouraging. In two years of researching I can't seem to find anyone who regrets having it done, though I am aware that there are risks involved.

Point well taken about finding a reputable physician - and that cheap is not always the best. I totally agree!

Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Betty,

There are folks who suffer from seeing "halos" around lights at night. I had surgery in 1999 and am still thrilled with the results. I also had monovision and rarely need reading glasses either.

k
Old 10-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Betty,

There are folks who suffer from seeing "halos" around lights at night. I had surgery in 1999 and am still thrilled with the results. I also had monovision and rarely need reading glasses either.

k
I had the surgery done about 8 years ago and also had monovision. No regrets...I researched doctors and ended up going to UCLA.

Now I do have some reading glass issues but I chose to ignore them.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:56 PM

I am currently considering the surgery and am trying different contact lenses to decide what is best for me. I am currently trying monovision and am not sure it is for me. Did anyone try contacts first and was the outcome about the same as when you wore the contacts? (I do not tolerate contacts well so I am wondering if the outcome will feel different in the end)
Old 08-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Veteran member
Default best thing I ever did

Both hubby and I had lasik several years ago. Prior to that, my glasses were like coke bottles, now I do not need glasses. I actually had to have it done twice, my eyes were so bad, the first result was 20/50. Doc asked me if I wanted to get 20/20, I said yes. It was six months between first and second procedure. Now, with age, I just need reading glasses. It is so wonderful to see clearly after wearing glasses since the age of 7.

The procedure is totally painless....but mentally painful. It lasted less than 3 minutes per eye and results were immediate.

I am one of those folks that ended up with halos...this means I see halos around lights, but only while driving at night. Doc prescribed glasses just for driving at night, works great. I am very happy...highly recommend.

Sorry, cannot provide name of local doc, I had it done over 10 years ago "back home" in the northeast.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:58 PM

My wife and I had lasik last year. She just had one eye done, for distance. I had both eyes done - one for distance and one for close up. My wife is doing fine. Me not so good. I have dry eyes and my eyes feel scratchy and hot all the time. The worst part is that at night, my eyes get so dry that my eyelids stick to my cornea. About every week or two the eyelid sticks so tight that I tear a piece of cornea off (so far just in my left eye). Its rather painful and my vision deteriorates for a day or two. The problem is that the outer layer of the cornea is not attaching to the layer below it as well as it should. As a consequence, I have had to have this outer layer scraped off twice in hopes that it would attach properly when it grew back. The next step is a procedure where they are going to punch holes through this outer layer and into the layer below hoping that the two layers will then grow together.

Needless to say, i spend alot of time wishing I had not had the lasik done. I guess if all goes well, then its great. If not, then...

Lasik will cause dry eyes for a while, but it is supposed to get better after you grow new nerve endings in the cornea (this can take several months). In my case, I had dry eyes BEFORE the lasik and now it's worse and I have all these problems. My case is not typical, but it is just one on many things that can go wrong for a small percentage of those undergoing the procedure.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carm310 View Post
I am currently considering the surgery and am trying different contact lenses to decide what is best for me. I am currently trying monovision and am not sure it is for me. Did anyone try contacts first and was the outcome about the same as when you wore the contacts? (I do not tolerate contacts well so I am wondering if the outcome will feel different in the end)
If you cannot tolerate contacts because of dry eyes, you'll want to check with your opthamologist. Mine told me that the Lasik surgery will make dry eyes 1000 times worse, and so I am not considered a candidate. I believe there is an outside chance you cannot wear contacts afterwards, because of scar tissue? Not sure about this, but something else to check.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Lasik surgery

Yea!, NO glasses....I was fortunate to meet someone in ophthalmologist waiting room that had surgery in one eye only. She reminded me that I might go from NO glasses to reading glasses if I had surgery in both eyes...Ugh!...Thankfully was able to go 10 years without reading glasses.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:44 AM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

Where is a good place for Lasik around TV? and apx. what is the cost ?
Old 08-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Cool Lasic

Both wife and I had it done Me about 12yrs she 6 yrs No problems best thing we ever did Try it you will like it:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.