Left Knee Problem

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2023, 08:52 AM
Default Knee issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
I been doctoring with my left knee for some time now.
Treated for a Baker's cyst with a shot that helped for awhile.

Now after having a CT scan, it's showing my knee is rubbing on one side and my doctor suggested a "Gel Injection" under my knee cap.

Anyone have experience with this treatment?

Thanks
I'm on a similar journey - in order to delay a total knee replacement until it suited my schedule, I did a cortisone shot, PT and then a 3-shot series of gel injections (in that order). My knee at the time was extremely unstable, damage under the patella itself not on the sides, with a lot of pain.

My doctor was very open and honest on the likelihood of relief from the three options, so I knew going in that none of it was a guaranteed therapy. My personal experience was that the cortisone shot made it more painful but greatly reduced the instability. The PT was great for 2 reasons - it not only strengthen the surrounding areas but also let me data-mine the PT staff for their experience with other patients results, info on the different surgeons I was researching, etc. The gel shots did work for me - they did not fix the underlying issue so I did not get back to where I hoped but my knee is functional with cautious use so I have been able to postpone surgery until it worked for my life (May 1st, AAMOF). I can't recommend any local assets, since this was all in SW OH.

For additional info, my husband had some knee pain in the same timeframe, and got great relief from a cortisone shot (without the accompanying increased discomfort I had). Again, it did not fix the underlying issue but gave him back his mobility.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I been doctoring with my left knee for some time now.

Now after having a CT scan, it's showing my knee is rubbing on one side and my doctor suggested a "Gel Injection" under my knee cap.

Thanks
A Baker"s cyst is caused by an intraarticular injury (like a torn meniscus).
Find a more conservative orthopedist.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:00 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

I have had the gel injections in my right knee on three separate occasions now. My orthopedic doctor "back home" was very conservative, but did tell me that some day I would need to have the knee replaced. His line of thought was that if the injections provided relief, go with them until they no longer did. The first time, I got about 18 months of relief from the injections. That was back when they did a series of five injections about 3 days apart. The second time, it was a little less than 18 months of relief. Fast forward to moving here, and I found Dr. John Williams at Advanced Orthopedics. Great doctor. He told me they now do the procedure as a single injection, which he did for me a couple months ago. Within two days, the relief was remarkable...still going strong. No doubt some day the knee will need to be replaced, but I will continue with the "rooster comb" injections as long as they work. Both orthopedic doctors have told me, though, that the injections do not work for everyone, so YMMV.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,743 Posts

If your one of the lucky ones, the injection will provide you with some temporary relief.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:11 PM

I have been getting gel shots in my left knee once a year for 5 years. Cortisone one didn’t work but the gel worked great for me! Lasted at least 10 months and then slowly felt pain come back, got next shot at 12 months. Two options are a set of 3 shots a week apart or go for one major shot. It’s more painful but still not bad at all. I opt for the one shot. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2023, 12:08 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=Michael G.;2172565]I been doctoring with my left knee for some time now.

Thanks[/QUOTE
I ended up having both knees replaced 3 days apart after going through all the other treatments. That war 10 years ago. The best thing I’ve ever done, medically speaking. BIG THING, THOUGH IS DO THE HOME WORKOUTS. Otherwise the therapy won’t work. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Reread my post.
I'm not having my knee replaced or any major surgery.

My doctor suggested I should have a gel injected behind my kneecap for pain and I'm asking
if anyone out there ever had the procedure done and if it worked.
I have researched the shots on line, it can be a 3 shot or one most Dr preferred doing it in 3. This is only a temporary maybe 8-12 months of relief then you are back to the same you were before the shot. I told the Dr I would look else where and find a different Dr to help with my knees
Old 01-06-2023, 08:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,788 Times in 734 Posts

I just finished recovery from knee replacement surgery from May 2022. TKR isn’t a walk in the park but for me, having it performed immediately after the injury was the best choice. Couldn’t find a good reason for putting myself through all those injections with recurring pain and advancing age and still at some point, have a TKR.

Surgery, recovery and medications are more difficult as we age. If health deteriorates with new diagnosis of other conditions, surgery may become impossible and the knee pain, which increases with time, is there til the end of your days. Will Medicare continue to cover TKRs and will an excellent surgeon always be available?

Make hay while the sun shines and fix it as I go.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:12 PM
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ to Villages (Pennecamp) in December 2010.
Default Have had the gel procedure

Quote:
Reread my post.
I'm not having my knee replaced or any major surgery.

My doctor suggested I should have a gel injected behind my kneecap for pain and I'm asking
if anyone out there ever had the procedure done and if it worked.
Have had the procedure done a couple of times (both knees). In my case it relieved the pain for 3 1/2 - 4 months. I have had friends who did it and the relief was anywhere from nothing to up to a year.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritagoyer View Post
I have researched the shots on line, it can be a 3 shot or one most Dr preferred doing it in 3. This is only a temporary maybe 8-12 months of relief then you are back to the same you were before the shot. I told the Dr I would look else where and find a different Dr to help with my knees
Have you found a different doctor to help you? Past year or so went through PT twice, several cortisone shots, meniscus surgery, and 3 gel shots and still have lots of pain. I believe the meniscus surgery actually made it worse and accelerated the arthritis.
I think it’s time for a second opinion but who?
Haven’t been able to do any of my activities in over a year because of pain!
Need a good honest second opinion.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciavarini View Post
I have what you have bad... go see ARO Motion. Dr. DEAN. I had Ablation done and I am rehabbing now. Big difference. Dint replace knee. Aro has a free seminar go sit in on that. View their videos on YouTube just search aro motion. This is what you want. Reach out to me in on Facebook Michael ciavarini I'll talk to you.
Big question, WHY IS THIS NOT COVERED BY INSURANCE, I had both hips replaced, 80,000 1st one, 200,000 2nd, both COVERED, but my husband's knee at Aro motion is $3000, out of pocket (not in network) the Villages should have MANY testimonials from this place, but only find comments about seminars, hmmmm! When you call, a recording of "when picking up medical records" comes on, hmmm!... Find it strange that orthopedist does not have x-ray facility, hmmmm!
Closed Thread

Tags
knee, left, gel, side, doctor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.