Lithotripsy kidney stone questions

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Default Lithotripsy kidney stone questions

I have a 5 mm kidney that won't seem to pass. Lithotripsy is an option but I have heard pros and cons. Many have issues when they have a stent. Can you have the procedure without a stent? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:19 AM

Yes, I did
Old 10-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
I have a 5 mm kidney that won't seem to pass. Lithotripsy is an option but I have heard pros and cons. Many have issues when they have a stent. Can you have the procedure without a stent? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
ive had lithotripsy 3 times and never had a stint
Old 10-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

I had to have the stent BEFORE the procedure, since the procedure had to be delayed about 6 weeks. As I recall the stent was removed after the proceedure, but was not required for the procedure. Ask your doctor why they are planning on using it.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:47 PM

I have a 4 mm stone in my ureter at the ureterovesical junction. I am choosing to go with ureteroscopy not the lithotripsy (shock waves). I read that the risks of lithotripsy could be the development of high blood pressure or diabetes. I'm scheduled for out patient surgery on Fri, October 13th. Did your dr. disclose the risks to you and if so what were the warnings. Thanks
Old 10-08-2017, 08:58 PM

Thank you all for the feedback. All the information is what I have researched on the internet. My doctor said that I could decide which procedure to have and would need a stent. I was leaning toward the lithotripsy as the ureteroscopy seemed to have a longer recover period and required a stent for a longer period of time. I will be meeting with him again to discuss more details. I was so concerned about the stent because my dad had one and was never able to remove it.
Closed Thread

Tags
stent, lithotripsy, kidney, issues, procedure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.