Long term disability insurance attorney

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Default Long term disability insurance attorney

I was approved for SS disability on my first application but was denied by my group long term disability insurance. I plan to appeal the decision but would like to consult an attorney. Has anyone used a lawyer for a similar situation, were you pleased with the lawyer, and would you share their name and location with me? I am very leery of all the advertisements on TV. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

You should be aware that the criteria for deciding if you are disabled are entirely different for private vs Soc Sec. Read your policy carefully. Also, if you plan to use a lawyer be aware they will collect a piece of your payment as their payment. While getting something is better than what you have now, it may be worthwhile writing an appeal letter yourself following whatever rules are defined in your policy. I would also consider calling the insurance agent who sold you the policy to enlist her cooperation and explanation.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:04 PM

Some lawyers do not charge for a first visit. Insurance companies and SS frequently deny your first claim automatically and you have to be persistent. Our policy had a clause that once SS was approved they only covered the difference between the terms of the policy and SS disability. There are many buzz words your doctors need to use on your appeal. Keep you chin up, turn it into a game and keep dogging them. Once approved , insurance payments should be retroactive to the date of your first claim.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:01 PM

Thanks for your feedback, yes I am aware of all the points you brought up. The policy was issued through my employer and it is not an issue of disability, it is an issue with time frames and failure of the insurer to provide adequate documentation when signing up for the policy. So, again, I respectfully request that if anyone has dealt with a disability attorney that they would recommend, I would appreciate it!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.