Longtime lurker with a migraine question

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2018, 11:55 AM
Default Longtime lurker with a migraine question

Hello all! I have been following this forum for a good while now in the shadows. My dad lived in the water oak community in Lady Lake until he passed and I have been fascinated with the area ever since, especially The Villages. My question relates to migraines. My wife gets them due to the barometric pressure changes. We live near Detroit currently and it is not a great area for her with regards to the barometric pressure changes. My research showed Florida as the second best state to live in (Hawaii was number one) for those that suffer from barometric migraines. Just curious if there are any of you out there that suffer from them and if moving to The Villages from another state lessened the frequency of them. We are a good number of years away from retirement still but hoping to be a Villager ASAP. Thanks for any info any of you can provide!
Old 04-20-2018, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseguyjimmy View Post
Hello all! I have been following this forum for a good while now in the shadows. My dad lived in the water oak community in Lady Lake until he passed and I have been fascinated with the area ever since, especially The Villages. My question relates to migraines. My wife gets them due to the barometric pressure changes. We live near Detroit currently and it is not a great area for her with regards to the barometric pressure changes. My research showed Florida as the second best state to live in (Hawaii was number one) for those that suffer from barometric migraines. Just curious if there are any of you out there that suffer from them and if moving to The Villages from another state lessened the frequency of them. We are a good number of years away from retirement still but hoping to be a Villager ASAP. Thanks for any info any of you can provide!
The Mayo Clinic lists high humidity as a factor influencing some people's migraines and we most certainly have high humidity outdoors here in central Florida.

Migraines: Are they triggered by weather changes? - Mayo Clinic

Other factors, such as aging actually help women with migraines as hormonal levels drop and that brings relief to some sufferers.

Yesterday a major breakthrough was announced for Migraine sufferers that involved the use of the substance that controls calcitonin, if I remember correctly. I will go look for it..

Migraine headache treatment: New drug stops migraine and side effects

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-21-2018 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:55 PM

My wife is currently going through this treatment. She is on her second round now. It has helped lessen the effects of the migraines but they still come. Hoping that Florida indeed will be better for her than Michigan has been. Surprised there has been no one so far who suffers from migraines to comment on this. Perhaps that means Florida is the best place! I am ever the optimist!
Old 04-20-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseguyjimmy View Post
Surprised there has been no one so far who suffers from migraines to comment on this.
They're not online right now, they have a migraine.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:22 PM
Sage

I used to get migranes so bad that I would hide in the bedroom in the complete dark for 3 days. It was like on the third day all of a sudden the pressure in my sinus would release and everything would be ok again. I found out that it wasn't a migrane at all that it was my blood pressure spiking. Even when the top number gets as high as 145 it would come back. Testing her BP several times a day and keeping a record of it might help to see if this could be happening. Now that my B/P is controlled I do not get headaches.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:27 PM

That is interesting. I believe she is on blood pressure medication now as well so I suspect this is not contributing to it but I will check with her. Thanks for sharing your story!
Old 04-20-2018, 02:34 PM
fw102807

I had a friend up north who got significant relief from acupuncture after everything else she tried failed.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:47 PM
Sage

Imitrex (Sumatriptan) helped me. For years I erroneously thought I had sinus difficulties as a migraine is one sided. The mechanism that triggers a migraine literally allows swelling in and around your brain.

It is excruciating and I had three or more a month when I was younger. I still get the aura at times, but if I take just two Advil now that I am in my seventies, I only get a slight headache. I used to go to work so sick with a headache and was very light sensitive.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-21-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

I had brain tumor and had migraines before and 10 years after. The acoustic neuroma I had left me with SSD, balance problems, and headaches still and occasionally even now migraines. I suffered for years till I was subscribed the drug called Sumatriptan. Luckily it works on me. If I detect migraine coming on I take pill. It usually works if not the doctor said to follow up with ALEVE. Sumatriptan don't work for everybody with migraines, so you have to try it see if it helps. Mine were pretty bad after surgery grown man lying crying in pitch dark room, no noise or light for 8 to 20 hours. Luckily today I rarely get mingraine ( probably less than 4 a year) compared to 2 or 3 month years ago. Funny thing I never had headaches till I was 42.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:53 PM

I take zooming rapidmelt (melts under the tongue) as I usually get nauseous. It works quickly but with all medicines, I’m cautious. A few months ago, I had my gallbladder out and not a migraine since...and yes temperature changes did affect me. I hope it lasts.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:53 AM

Thanks everyone for your ideas and stories. Definitely some things we had not thought of or considered.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I had brain tumor and had migraines before and 10 years after. The acoustic neuroma I had left me with SSD, balance problems, and headaches still and occasionally even now migraines. I suffered for years till I was subscribed the drug called Sumatriptan. Luckily it works on me. If I detect migraine coming on I take pill. It usually works if not the doctor said to follow up with ALEVE. Sumatriptan don't work for everybody with migraines, so you have to try it see if it helps. Mine were pretty bad after surgery grown man lying crying in pitch dark room, no noise or light for 8 to 20 hours. Luckily today I rarely get mingraine ( probably less than 4 a year) compared to 2 or 3 month years ago. Funny thing I never had headaches till I was 42.
You have had some very serious issues. I am glad you are better and enjoying this beautiful place with us.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:03 PM

Following 3 brain surgeries I battled with barometric migraines for years in Livonia, MI. I have only had 1 slight migraine in the 3 years since we moved to The Villages. As everyone has pointed out, there are so many causes of migraines. I wish you luck with your decisions.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:19 AM

That is wonderful to hear! We live in Livonia too so reading your post seems almost like a sign from heaven!
Closed Thread

Tags
barometric, migraines, area, villages, pressure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.