Eye health "vitamins???

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Eye health "vitamins???

My wife has been diagnosed with very early stage of macular degeneration. She sees no apparent loss but the MD was detectable in her eye exam. Her doctor recommended taking a senior type multi vitamin. Most of which she cannot take because they contain vitamin K which is a no-no when taking blood thinners.

I have researched and found many vitamin formulas for eye health like Ocuvite Eye Vitamin Adult 50+ Formula. Has anyone had experience with making a decision which vitamins to take for eye health???

btk
Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 AM
Veteran member

My eye doctor recommended Preservision vitamins, as I have the same condition in the same stage. My doctor has excellent qualifications and a good reputation so he's trustworthy. However, I must say that I have doubts about taking these vitamins and take them half-heartedly because they are very expensive, and because so much of what we're told we must take eventually turns out to be useless. Maybe they work...
Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
My eye doctor recommended Preservision vitamins, as I have the same condition in the same stage. My doctor has excellent qualifications and a good reputation so he's trustworthy. However, I must say that I have doubts about taking these vitamins and take them half-heartedly because they are very expensive, and because so much of what we're told we must take eventually turns out to be useless. Maybe they work...
I don't know if this can help you out. And, I'm not sure if it would be considered political or not!?! According to my tax person, there was a change in the tax law this year if you are able to itemize medical expenses. She said you can now claim supplements, vitamins, etc that are prescribed by a doctor for a specific medical condition. My doctor wrote a letter for me to keep with my tax records.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 AM
Default Omega 3's?

I am in the beginning stages of cataracs and I've been told by my optician to double/triple up on my Omega 3's, specifically Fish Oil. She said that it's helped her.

Visited The Villages in Oct., '09
Working on making it permanent.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In awe of TV View Post
I am in the beginning stages of cataracs and I've been told by my optician to double/triple up on my Omega 3's, specifically Fish Oil. She said that it's helped her.
For your Omega 3's, you may want to try, Krill Oil.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
My wife has been diagnosed with very early stage of macular degeneration. She sees no apparent loss but the MD was detectable in her eye exam. Her doctor recommended taking a senior type multi vitamin. Most of which she cannot take because they contain vitamin K which is a no-no when taking blood thinners.

I have researched and found many vitamin formulas for eye health like Ocuvite Eye Vitamin Adult 50+ Formula. Has anyone had experience with making a decision which vitamins to take for eye health???

btk
My mother has MD in both of her eyes. She is legally blind in one eye. The other eye still has some sight left. She was diagnosed with MD in her forties and is now in her 80's. Needles to say her eyesight has deteriorated over the years.
She had taken Ocuvite and I-Vite and said they were OK.Last year she tried something new and this year she can actually see better. My aunt just left TV after visiting my mother and said she was shocked at the things my mother was pointing out...things that last year she could not see. I obviously cannot swear that it is this product that helped and I don't know if others will have the same results, but here is a link to the product.
Super Zeaxanthin with Lutein, Meso-Zeaxanthin and C3G, 60 softgels
Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Dancing Thyme

My dad was diagnosed with MD back in the 80's and was told by a highly-qualified doctor we had in LA to take Ocuvite every day. He did that religiously. I can't say it improved his vision but I don't think it deteriorated as fast as it could have. He passed away at in 2010 at 94 yo and although legally blind, he could still see the red traffic lights a lot quicker than I could, so I wasn't sure how much he could or couldn't see. But he did live a very good quality of life until he passed.

I take Ocuvite myself, not every day but I haven't as yet been diagnosed with it. There was a time that they thought it was hereditary but I've never been sure of that because he came from an extremely large Italian family, who lived long healthy lives, and no one has ever been diagnosed with it other than him.

I think I'm going to order the pills that Rayschic is recommending as I think the ingredients sound almost better than the Ocuvite.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

My wife's Dr also recommended Ocuvite.
I do not think there is a downside to taking it so I would take it.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayschic View Post
My mother has MD in both of her eyes. She is legally blind in one eye. The other eye still has some sight left. She was diagnosed with MD in her forties and is now in her 80's. Needles to say her eyesight has deteriorated over the years.
She had taken Ocuvite and I-Vite and said they were OK.Last year she tried something new and this year she can actually see better. My aunt just left TV after visiting my mother and said she was shocked at the things my mother was pointing out...things that last year she could not see. I obviously cannot swear that it is this product that helped and I don't know if others will have the same results, but here is a link to the product.
Super Zeaxanthin with Lutein, Meso-Zeaxanthin and C3G, 60 softgels
Good information, thank you. I am also very early stage MD and my eye doctor suggested I try Lutein to hold it in check. He told me that WalMart has Spring Valley Natural Lutein 20 mg containing Zeaxanthin 800mg, and I think I am paying about $6.00 for 90 softgels. Dark leafy greens are full of Lutein, so diet may also help to hold MD in check.

My sister is legally blind with MD in one eye, my brother also has MD, so it could well run in families.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
You are right to have doubts. Just eat a good diet including lots of dark green leafy vegetables.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Sage

I take Ocuvite with lutein daily. Just the other day I heard the supplement bilberry is good too! Anyone know about this? I still haven't bought any.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I take Ocuvite with lutein daily. Just the other day I heard the supplement bilberry is good too! Anyone know about this? I still haven't bought any.
Yes, I have also heard that bilberry is very good for the eyes. Here's a link to a product. I am not recommending this particular brand but I just thought that the chart was informative, listing the different eye problems that bilberry may help.

You have to go to the "Health Notes" tab to see the chart.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

I have been diagnosed with Occular Neuropathy. It comes from a lack of oxygen to the optic nerves. He said I should take B vitamins to prolong the onset of blindness. He also said exercise would help. Has anyone else heard of this? I go to Dr Scoot Holman who people say is good.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

i hope that anyone with an eye condition AND diabetes will not take any vitamin or supplement without contacting their doctor and/or opthamologist!

my neighbor who suffers with both conditions recently took an 'eye vitamin' [i do not know which one] and had a violent reaction - serious facial swelling, swollen eyelids and blurred vision.

the reaction was not to something he ate - except probably the vitamin!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts
Default AREDS and AREDS2

Two large studies have been done on use of vitamin/mineral supplementation to slow the progress of macular degeneration. The first AREDS was completed in 2001 and showed benefit to the specific product used. A new study looking at more nutrients is now complete, AREDS2 and the result of the study should be reported before the summer.
The AREDS summary is available Antioxidant Vitamins and Zinc Reduce Risk of Vision Loss from Age-Related Macular Degeneration [NEI News and Events]
and it includes the exact ingredients used in the study.

The website for the AREDS2 data is AREDS2.ORG
No data is yet available

These are long term studies taking years to either show or refute benefit. Of course they occur because of smaller suggestive data. The need for long term studies for some sort of reliability always means that the "truth" takes longer to be known than the hype. If you wait until a long term study shows benefit you will be upset that you didn't start the product when you first heard the hype. If the product is shown to be worthless or perhaps even dangerous and you did start early you will be upset that you wasted time and lots of money for nothing. There soon will be more clarity but it won't answer all the questions... What if we used more of this and less of that?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.