Lower Back Problems

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2019, 01:26 PM
Default Lower Back Problems

Has anybody found a good mattress that helps with lower back pain?
Old 11-10-2019, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I sleep on a piece of plywood with a 4 inch memory foam mattress, and I also do some exercises. This has provided lots of relief. NOTE: this is on a $$$$ king size sleep number that I could never get stiff enough (but then I could probably sleep on a rock!!).
Old 11-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

TUFT & NEEDLE Mattress helped a little bit. It is the Mint Queen Size Model which is a little more firm. We got two excellent pillows and a Topper included and I believe it was about $850. The Topper was Free and the pillows were included. I recommend it. I think it's been about 6 months that we've had it now.

I would need an Exorcist to get rid of my back pain. Virtually impossible. The key for me is to not dwell on the pain. Positive thinking and better habits to help the pain without heavy medicine. I'm currently trying HEMP OIL. I think its a combo plan to help with the pain. Getting rid of our 18-year-old Posturepedic was a good step in the correct direction.

Last edited by Nucky; 11-12-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Walk Walk Walk
Old 11-10-2019, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

100% natural latex mattress, we have the exact same mattress at both of our homes and regret when we have to stay in a hotel and can't sleep on our mattress.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:52 PM
KittyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
TUFT & NEEDLE Mattress helped a little bit. It is the Mint Queen Size Model which is a little more firm. We got two excellent pillows and a Topper included and I believe it was about $850. The Topper was Free and the pillows were included. I recommend it. I think it's been about 6 months that we've had it now.in the

I would need an Exorcist to get rid of my back pain. Virtually impossible. The key for me is to not dwell on the pain. Positive thinking and better habits to help the pain without heavy medicine. I'm currently trying HEMP OIL. I think its a combo plan to help with the pain. Getting rid of our 18-year-old Posturepedic was a good step in the correct direction.
Never heard of this brand. Did you purchase it online? If the Exorcist works, send him my way. I got CBD oil from my chiro and put 10 drops under my tongue every day until the bottle was gone. Didn't feel any different. Now the CBD ointment works great! I only need to use a tiny amount & rub it into my ankle, area around my knee replacement & my lower back over to my right upper cheek. I have new problems with my sacroiliac joint & right hip.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:27 AM
Gold member

We have a Select Comfort set at 100 and I also have an inversion table I use only when I feel the need. I have been doing this for over 30 years since I had a lower back operation. I needed a second back operation 2 years later and never got it.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

In 2017 my lower back was very painful, the doctor ordered an MRI and it said I had a degenerative L1 thru L5. He wanted to refer me to a back surgeon in Ocala, but first I decided to see a chiropractor. That was a waste of time and money. Next I purchased an inversion table, used it everyday for only about five minutes. Within six weeks all pain was gone. Still using it 2-1/2 years later but only every other day, and still pain free. What gave me the idea was the chiropractor was using pulleys, and assortment of thing to stretch my back. I realized an inversion table can do the same thing much better right at home. What was amazing was I asked the chiropractor twice if he felt an inversion table would be of any benefit and he said NO.

I bought mine at Dick's Sporting Goods in Ocala on sale for $250, it's a Teeter which is the top of the line. You can buy them on Amazon or eBay and they're as cheap as $100 if you're bargain shopping. You won't start out completely inverted, begin with your feet just slightly higher than your head. Work your way a little more each week or two another few inches. By the end of the first year I was about 170 degrees inverted, I still don't go completely 180, it's not necessary.

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 11-11-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Also, Tuff & Needle is a very popular mail order brand of mattress. I've had this one on my wish list on Amazon for a few months. They've apparently sold a lot of them, there are over 8,000 feedback on this model on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QBZ25SS/?tag=cheapaz02-20

TUFT & NEEDLE King Mattress | Bed in a Box | Utilizing Proprietary T&N Adaptive Foam | Sleeps Cooler with More Pressure Relief & Support Than Memory Foam | Non-Toxic Certified | 100-Night Sleep Trial | 10-Year Warranty King $750

The Villages Florida
Old 11-11-2019, 05:54 PM
Sage

We're all different with our back issues. I was born with a spinal issue (spondylolithesis) plus with aging have degenerative disc disease. Along the way I also was "blessed" with rheumatoid disease and osteoarthritis. NOT fun when it comes to back pain. I've had one back surgery for a ruptured disc. Also have been to a chiropractor (it helps but temporary) as well as a pain dr. and P.T. We bought a decent mattress when we moved here but it's too hard for me so we purchased a cool memory foam topper and really like it. IF the mattress ever gets replaced it will have that feature already in it.

Other things I do for my pain is I discovered PEMF therapy and it does work. The Villages Health offers it to anyone (you don't need to be in their network). I tried them 1st for a month then purchased my own unit so I can use it anytime I want. It's unbelievable how it's been a benefit for me.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
... I discovered PEMF therapy and it does work. The Villages Health offers it to anyone (you don't need to be in their network). I tried them 1st for a month then purchased my own unit so I can use it anytime I want. It's unbelievable how it's been a benefit for me.
A woman came to a Cat Crazy Villagers club meeting a while back and talked about the Bemer (PEMF) system. There is a local vet who uses it on animals and some cat owners talked to us about how helpful it had been for their pets. Sounds interesting.

On our recent Crystal Cruise I decided to try acupuncture for arthritis in my low back, hips, and extremities. Had a series of four treatments and experienced a major improvement after the first 30 minute treatment. Results have continued since returning home a few weeks ago. Take that FWIW but I am now a believer.

kathy
Old 11-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Veteran member

I have a sleep number bed and can adjust to how I feel. I have 2 memory foam toppers on it. I sleep great!
Old 11-12-2019, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
Never heard of this brand. Did you purchase it online? If the Exorcist works, send him my way. I got CBD oil from my chiro and put 10 drops under my tongue every day until the bottle was gone. Didn't feel any different. Now the CBD ointment works great! I only need to use a tiny amount & rub it into my ankle, area around my knee replacement & my lower back over to my right upper cheek. I have new problems with my sacroiliac joint & right hip.
Yes, I investigated online and then called to order. We were shocked by the way it was delivered. In an easy to maneuver box with a ripcord. Once the outer cover of plastic comes off then you get to the cord and once you pull that its time to get out of the way. It inflates to a bed in about a minute. There is a "Smell" from the packaging that disappeared in 12 hours and we put it into action about 18 hours after we set it up. Just great.

It has a 100-day return guarantee. They have you donate the bed if you don't like it.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:21 AM
Default Best Mattress for lumbar pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerset72 View Post
Has anybody found a good mattress that helps with lower back pain?
A 5/8 inch board of plywood. With a 700 thread-count sheet.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:04 PM
Exclamation Back pain

So thankful folks have posted their comments on this subject...now I don't feel so all alone. Still unclear how this condition occurred but now I'm focused on getting rid of it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
We're all different with our back issues. I was born with a spinal issue (spondylolithesis) plus with aging have degenerative disc disease. Along the way I also was "blessed" with rheumatoid disease and osteoarthritis. NOT fun when it comes to back pain. I've had one back surgery for a ruptured disc. Also have been to a chiropractor (it helps but temporary) as well as a pain dr. and P.T. We bought a decent mattress when we moved here but it's too hard for me so we purchased a cool memory foam topper and really like it. IF the mattress ever gets replaced it will have that feature already in it.

Other things I do for my pain is I discovered PEMF therapy and it does work. The Villages Health offers it to anyone (you don't need to be in their network). I tried them 1st for a month then purchased my own unit so I can use it anytime I want. It's unbelievable how it's been a benefit for me.
Closed Thread

Tags
lower, back, helps, pain, mattress

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.