Making beds in hospital available more quickly?

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Making beds in hospital available more quickly?

How many have been in the hospital, the doctor tells you either the night before or in the morning that it will be OK for you to go home.

Dressed and ready to go since waking that morning only to still there late afternoon.
The procedure for getting released is a very inefficient, agonizing/frustrating process. Bordering ridiculous when the staff is still waiting for the attending doctor, the one who said it is OK to go home, to sign off.

Perhaps this bottleneck could be studied by a freshman in medical school and a better way resulting. I specifically state freshman as it certainly would not require any experience to identify what could improve the flow, making beds available more quickly.

There are some with the opinion it has to do with prolonged/additional billing. I would like to think that is not an issue.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

There is a code ( usually a number) that is announced every hour that house is full, no beds available, public has no idea what the announcement means.

No longer are you discharged in the morning, discharges are now 24/7. Nothing unusual for a 2 or 3am discharge.

House or PA texts primary all tests and anything else is a good to go home. Discharge done from anywhere on whatever system that is used, dragon is one. Orders come to system and you are out the door, no matter what time. It’s about the insurance money. If patient stays longer than insurance values, payment stops.

However the system only works if the patient is a GO, or if house is full, a celestial discharge happens. Room is cleaned, and bed is ready within 45 minutes of discharge.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:45 PM

100% agree. On several occasions I have been informed the night before I would be discharged in the morning. However, it was very late the following afternoon before a Dr. put the discharge in the computer. Someone else could have used the room all day. There has to be a better system for the Villages Hosp. My own doctor could not discharge, it had to be a Villages doctor.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 03-24-2019, 06:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

7:00 AM and my surgeon says I’m good to go. 7:15AM and Gastro doctor says I am good to go. My admitting physician does not show up until 8:00 pm to release me. I am under the care of gastro doctor and surgeon. I had never seen the admitting doctor until I was hospitalized. So I lay in the hospital for an additional 13 hours while others waited in hallways in the ER. Something is wrong with this picture.i will add that I did have excellent care but the wait for my room was 21 hours.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, quickly, making, hospital, beds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.