Mask Paranoia

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2020, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Go back and read some of the older threads, there were all kinds of people claiming that a mask would prevent you from being infected.
It beats the hell out of nothing.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Mm, not exactly. I'll see if I can help you understand it a wee bit better.

With a prison situation, there is a very limited amount of space the prisoners are provided to occupy. They can't choose which store to go to, they are not given permission to decide when to eat, or where, or even how. They eat where and when they're ordered to eat, and they eat what they are given to eat, or they go hungry.

Outside in the rest of the world, we can choose this supermarket or that one. We can see that it's more crowded at 3pm and choose to go at 2pm instead, if we wish. We can buy fresh meat if we feel it's safe, or we can buy frozen patties if we are more comfortable with that choice. We can cook those burgers at 5 in the kitchen, or we can cook them outside on the grill at 7:30. Or, we can do curbside, or we can do inside, or outside dining at a restaurant, or have it delivered. We are not required to have the entire neighborhood line up outside Burger King in single-file and order a plain double cheeseburger, small fry, and small diet coke, then gather together at the only 5 tables in the entire restaurant and spend exactly 10 minutes eating, before we are required to get up and leave single file back to our jail cells.

In a prison situation, you have no options. You are forced to either all be together, or be in your cell with your cell mate, or you're in a solitary confinement situation, seeing no one else but the guard who brings you your meal.

This means - there is a much better opportunity for free folks like us to spread out and NOT be in close crowded proximity with each other. Unlike prisoners, who are not given that option.
You seem to have forgotten one other very important option; "I'll see if I can help you understand it a wee bit better".

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time! These folks you are so worried about, have a proven track record of being predators, for the most part and you seem less than hesitant to applaud their release back into society to prow on law-abiding citizens. Some of these folks are serious felons and are not concerned that the churches are still closed (if you get my drift). Was your concern as heightened when many states placed CV-19 positive patients into nursing homes, like in PA, which resulted in 2/3 of the known deaths from Covid … just sayin'

Fred
Old 05-27-2020, 11:36 AM

Masks don’t stop the virus particles directly if they are in the air but do a good job of blocking the droplets that we expel when coughing, sneezing (or singing) that carry them. Experts (who originally urged not wearing them so there would be enough for front line healthcare workers) now agree we should wear them. See the video here to understand why. A mask in my view, protects others 80% and you 20%. Your mask protects me 80% from your virus and you 20% from mine. PREVENT THE SPREAD: Wear a mask to prevent infection - YouTube
Old 05-27-2020, 11:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Do you wear a seatbelt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
We initially were told by the surgeon general and also some of the doctors on the presidents team that wearing masks was unnecessary and that their only value was primarily psychological. They were not lying to you!
Why did they change this? Who knows... maybe to appease a paranoid population? 99% of the face coverings I see are useless. Viruses are microbial. You can not hide from them. How long is it going to take for this ridiculous paranoia about a virus that is 99% survivable to go away? I am somewhat encouraged as I am seeing more and more folks like myself that have discarded the masks.
Do you wear a seatbelt? Do you use a child's safety seat in your car, if you transport babies? Do you wear sunscreen? Do you look at the eclipse of the Sun without protection? Do you wear protection when...?
Old 05-27-2020, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Amazing, you would never believe common sense would become a P statement,but somehow the masks have been made into that.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Amazing, you would never believe common sense would become a P statement, but somehow the masks have been made into that.

You just don't understand.

I can look tougher, more manly and partially assuage my massive insecurities...if I don't wear a mask in public.

Especially if I can have every other single person who might come within a mile of me...wear their masks to protect me.

See how easy now...that is to understand?

And good on Fauci, for having the bravery to say basically the same thing...in public.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
Do you wear a seatbelt? Do you use a child's safety seat in your car, if you transport babies? Do you wear sunscreen? Do you look at the eclipse of the Sun without protection? Do you wear protection when...?
Excellent points Ben.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:41 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

There is a glaring irony in this mask mess.

How many people who would like to go out and spend some money will not do so because they do not want to encounter anti-maskers who can cause them risk.

Anti-maskers hurt brick and mortar businesses while Amazon makes more money than ever. How’s that for irony.

By the way, Typhoid Mary was asymptomatic.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When I am seeking direction on what to do in the face of a virus that kills people, particularly the highest percent of people it infects who are over 65, I do not look to politicians, I look to science and to the experts who try to make sense of this virus which is completely new on this planet and is still not completely understood. I know that not even those who specialize in epidemics did not have a true handle on Covid-19 early on and we were struggling at first to dispense face masks that were early in March in short supply. Even now the experts are still not saying with certainty what the virus does, still studying unusual symptoms like blood clots in all ages, and Kawasaki Syndrome in little ones, so I think that people at risk will continue to err on the side of caution, hoping to hear good news and valid facts soon from the mish mash of what is real and what is conspiracy theory.

Here is something released from Dr. Fauci, who should know better than most people, how to direct us;

Dr. Anthony Fauci on How America Can Avoid a Second Wave of the Coronavirus

I think some people could say the same thing I just said and you still want to bite them. It's all in the attitude.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-27-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:44 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
When I am seeking direction on what to do in the face of a virus that kills people, particularly 80% percent of people it infects who are over
Whoa horsey!

The percentage of all covid deaths is 80% for people over 65.

The death rate for people over 65 who catch covid 19 is 1.3%

COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios | CDC
Old 05-27-2020, 04:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Whoa horsey!

The percentage of all covid deaths is 80% for people over 65.

The death rate for people over 65 who catch covid 19 is 1.3%

COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios | CDC
I believe that is what she said !!!!!!

What is the point you wish to make about masks ???

"Dr. Anthony Fauci on Wednesday called for a cautious approach to reopening the US and implored Americans to wear face masks in public.."

Fauci says he wears a mask to be a symbol of what 'you should be doing' - CNNPolitics

And please do not come back with another abridged Fauci quote. Stick with facts, not fiction.

"Virginians will soon be required to wear face masks in public to help curb the spread of the novel coronavirus, Gov. Ralph Northam announced on Tuesday."

Virginia mandates coronavirus face masks as state sees biggest daily spike in new cases | Fox News
Old 05-27-2020, 05:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I believe that is what she said !!!!!!
she said this "virus that kills people, particularly 80% percent of people it infects who are over 65

Try to stick with facts, not fiction
Old 05-27-2020, 05:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
she said this "virus that kills people, particularly 80% percent of people it infects who are over 65

Try to stick with facts, not fiction
The thread subject is MASKS, not percentages

Thanks
Old 05-27-2020, 05:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
We initially were told by the surgeon general and also some of the doctors on the presidents team that wearing masks was unnecessary and that their only value was primarily psychological. They were not lying to you!
Why did they change this? Who knows... maybe to appease a paranoid population? 99% of the face coverings I see are useless. Viruses are microbial. You can not hide from them. How long is it going to take for this ridiculous paranoia about a virus that is 99% survivable to go away? I am somewhat encouraged as I am seeing more and more folks like myself that have discarded the masks.
I am unsure as to why you started this thread.
1) was it to encourage people to discontinue wearing their masks?
2) was it to make fun of people who wear masks?
3) are you trying to validate your reason for *not* wearing a mask?

Why do you care, either way?
Old 05-27-2020, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

At a doctor's appointment this morning I witnessed a woman who tried to enter the check in area without a mask. She was asked if she had one....she did not...they offered her one which she accepted with a huff!!!

Additional stress for our front line health providers to contend with.

I applaud the businesses and medical facilities that REQUIRE masks before entering.

How many folks yap about following the science .....but in the face of the science behind wearing a mask, there are so many non conformists.

Stupid cannot be fixed.
Closed Thread

Tags
masks, paranoia, 99%, microbial, long

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.