Old 05-27-2020, 06:03 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
The thread subject is MASKS, not percentages

Thanks
Were you elected hall monitor recently?

If you are discussing masks and if they protect you, it might be helpful to have accurate facts on death rates and totals. For instance, pneumonia/influenza killed 117,761 americans in the 2019-2020 season. They are both contagious but we don't shut down the entire economy or wear masks to fight them.

Provisional COVID-19 Death Counts by Sex, Age, and State | Data | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

PS If as Gracie said, the death rate for covid positive over 65 people was actually 80%, I'd invest in a Bio Level 4 containment suit and wear it every time I left the house.

Last edited by GoodLife; 05-27-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Were you elected hall monitor recently?

If you are discussing masks and if they protect you, it might be helpful to have accurate facts on death rates and totals. For instance, pneumonia/influenza killed 117,761 americans in the 2019-2020 season. They are both contagious but we don't shut down the entire economy or wear masks to fight them.

Provisional COVID-19 Death Counts by Sex, Age, and State | Data | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

PS If as Gracie said, the death rate for covid positive over 65 people was actually 80%, I'd invest in a Bio Level 4 containment suit and wear it every time I left the house.
Were you elected purveyor of all wisdom, sir? We all are trying to communicate ideas, not win the Nobel Prize. I am a retired nursery school teacher.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolSells View Post
Well, what I was wondering about in regards to masks and gloves is that if they’re so effective why can’t we just issue them to our prison populations instead of letting them back into society? They could social distance unless they,re cell mates.

(The letters and punctuation are not coming out right.)
Yes so true! If masks really work give them to prisoners.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Were you elected purveyor of all wisdom, sir? We all are trying to communicate ideas, not win the Nobel Prize. I am a retired nursery school teacher.
No, I'm just someone who knows the death rate for seniors over 65 who get covid 19 is not 80%, but in fact is listed at 1.3% at the CDC.

We don't want to scare people with false statistics do we?

Last edited by GoodLife; 05-27-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:32 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default I think you got some ‘splainin’ to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
There is a glaring irony in this mask mess.

How many people who would like to go out and spend some money will not do so because they do not want to encounter anti-maskers who can cause them risk.

Anti-maskers hurt brick and mortar businesses while Amazon makes more money than ever. How’s that for irony.

By the way, Typhoid Mary was asymptomatic.

GoodLife,

Oh my, here I am, behaving in an excruciatingly tacky manner by quoting myself. How unseemly of me. But my curiosity is getting the better of me so I just have to ask you a question — or two — or three.

Please read my post above and then explain to me, in your own words, how anti-maskers are not guilty of trampling the economy even deeper into the hole.

I just heard a report on “Marketplace Money” that talked about the velocity of money. I was not familiar with the term. Now, I am.

The velocity of money has sloooooowed waaaaaaay down, of course. Anti-maskers might try thinking a little further. Like I said above, people who want to go out and spend are intimidated by the anti-maskers who have allowed themselves to be goaded into ridiculous, divisive behavior. (That intimidation factor is usually subtle, but can be shockingly overt and even violent.)

You seem to delight in bashing those who think masks might help — you know — the ones who seem to care about others, in addition to their own health. And I guess it’s a given that you ain’t agonna wear no mask. BUT could you please explain how anti-maskers are good for the economy — in your own words? No links. No graphs. No charts.

Boomer
Old 05-27-2020, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
GoodLife,

Oh my, here I am, behaving in an excruciatingly tacky manner by quoting myself. How unseemly of me. But my curiosity is getting the better of me so I just have to ask you a question — or two — or three.

Please read my post above and then explain to me, in your own words, how anti-maskers are not guilty of trampling the economy even deeper into the hole.

I just heard a report on “Marketplace Money” that talked about the velocity of money. I was not familiar with the term. Now, I am.

The velocity of money has sloooooowed waaaaaaay down, of course. Anti-maskers might try thinking a little further. Like I said above, people who want to go out and spend are intimidated by the anti-maskers who have allowed themselves to be goaded into ridiculous, divisive behavior. (That intimidation factor is usually subtle, but can be shockingly overt and even violent.)

You seem to delight in bashing those who think masks might help — you know — the ones who seem to care about others, in addition to their own health. And I guess it’s a given that you ain’t agonna wear no mask. BUT could you please explain how anti-maskers are good for the economy — in your own words? No links. No graphs. No charts.

Boomer
Recognizing that it's not really about anything other than perceived appearances and a need for machismo, driven by insecurity, I'm still...

Old 05-27-2020, 08:03 PM

I truly can not understand the selfish, inconsiderate behavior of many adults during this unprecedented health crisis.

Those who don't like wearing a mask are not going to like a ventilator much either.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
GoodLife,

Boomer
LOL A long time ago I posted a thread titled "We've been had" in which I stated that Fauci and others lied to us when they said we don't need masks, they don't work, you aren't trained to fit them properly. I also posted a graph showing that countries who promoted use of masks by all were doing better in terms of covid 19 case numbers. That was the period in this pandemic where masks wearing by the public would have done something in terms of mitigation with cases going up every day.

That thread was deleted, probably because who knows who complained to the moderators for some reason.

I've commented in various threads that if I were to go into a supermarket or other building with people in it, I would wear a mask. But since only N95 masks offer true protection, and I don't have any, I don't enter buildings other than my own home and haven't for over 2 months. So I am not intimidating any maskers anywhere and am spending money by buying online and supporting the economy like a true American! My money has great velocity! I spend the same per month as I always have, except for gas and travel.

So I was promoting use of masks before it became fashionable, but I got deleted.

The whole mask frenzy is amusing. There has not been a new case in Sumter County for four days. I'd post a link to prove it but I'm agonna grant your request not to.

Last edited by GoodLife; 05-27-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
I truly can not understand the selfish, inconsiderate behavior of many adults during this unprecedented health crisis.

Those who don't like wearing a mask are not going to like a ventilator much either.
That's easily solvable.

If they refused to wear masks, honor their preference...and just don't intubate them.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
That's easily solvable.

If they refused to wear masks, honor their preference...and just don't intubate them.
Since 80% of people with covid 19 die after being intubated, it's not a big threat.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:38 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

The king of Va. has declared everyone will wear a mask.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
LOL A long time ago I posted a thread titled "We've been had" in which I stated that Fauci and others lied to us when they said we don't need masks, they don't work, you aren't trained to fit them properly. I also posted a graph showing that countries who promoted use of masks by all were doing better in terms of covid 19 case numbers. That was the period in this pandemic where masks wearing by the public would have done something in terms of mitigation with cases going up every day.

That thread was deleted, probably because who knows who complained to the moderators for some reason.

I've commented in various threads that if I were to go into a supermarket or other building with people in it, I would wear a mask. But since only N95 masks offer true protection, and I don't have any, I don't enter buildings other than my own home and haven't for over 2 months. So I am not intimidating any maskers anywhere and am spending money by buying online and supporting the economy like a true American! My money has great velocity! I spend the same per month as I always have, except for gas and travel.

So I was promoting use of masks before it became fashionable, but I got deleted.

The whole mask frenzy is amusing. There has not been a new case in Sumter County for four days. I'd post a link to prove it but I'm agonna grant your request not to.
I am a retired nursery school teacher...…….and YOU ARE??? Were you or are you involved in a medical career? You are an intelligent man and have given us a lot of good information, but sometimes you seem to want to best people. Being first and being smartest doesn't help any of us. All our talk will not change the minds of those who think the whole thing is overblown and foolishness. Those people seriously believe that this is just like the seasonal flu that has killed people yearly. There are many who think that this is an engineered event from another country meant to retaliate against the U.S. There are some who feel that no matter what chances we take, we must restart the economy. There are those who are a bit scared themselves and taunt others calling them paranoid...which means I think having an unbased fear of catching this disease. No one has come out and said in my presence that it mostly is killing old people who are about to die anyhow but I have a strong suspicion that those words have been spoken among some groups. I haven't ever known people to act so negatively. I am saddened and angered by a lot of what I read. We olders are so fortunate that we can stay where we are and be alright. Many of us are just waiting to see how this all plays out.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:18 AM

When 100,000 people die within 3 months and continues to rise, you may try to do something easy to help yourself stay healthy by putting on a mask. Why is this so difficult?
Old 05-28-2020, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentjanhusak@gmail.com View Post
I totally agree and I have to bite my tongue when I’m in a store and someone stops to chastise the person not wearing a mask........get over your fears people!!!!
Have you not read the previous posts in this thread? Have you not been listening to the experts from the Coronavirus task force? People are not wearing masks because they are fearful of catching the virus and are trying to protect themselves. Home made masks provide very little protection for the wearer of the mask. People wear masks because they are protecting others, including you. Wearing a mask will help to prevent the spread of this virus. If we don't do our part, this virus will not go away until there is a proven vaccine.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:

No, it's totally incorrect. Fauci and the CDC knew the virus was spreading human to human in China through people coughing sneezing droplets of virus before it even got here. They first learned about asymptomatic spreaders after anaylizing the cases on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in February and found that 17% of the positives experienced no symptoms. Fauci was still saying masks not necessary in late March on 60 minutes.
This is the reason why I am so disappointed in our government and the experts. If only they were honest with the American people early on (February) and encouraged the use of masks to prevent the spread of this virus, many lives could have been spared. This virus would be a non issue at this point if we had all come together and mitigated it. Their decision to deceive Americans so we would not purchase masks needed for the front line workers was very wrong, IMHO.

When the CDC and our experts finally informed us all that masks were recommended to prevent the spread of the virus what did Americans do? Americans began making home made masks and posted videos on YouTube on how to make home made masks. It became a war effort of sorts with this invisible enemy. I felt like Americans embodied Rosy the Rivetor from WWII. We went to task and are still going strong for the "war effort" against this virus.

I've posted this video before in other threads but just in case you haven't seen it, this demonstrates how masks block droplets. Those droplets are what carries the virus into the air when an asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic person breathes, speaks, sings, coughs or sneezes.

How a mask blocks droplets - YouTube

Last edited by coffeebean; 05-28-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
masks, paranoia, 99%, microbial, long

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.