Mask Paranoia

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2020, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
There is a glaring irony in this mask mess.

How many people who would like to go out and spend some money will not do so because they do not want to encounter anti-maskers who can cause them risk.

Anti-maskers hurt brick and mortar businesses while Amazon makes more money than ever. How’s that for irony.

By the way, Typhoid Mary was asymptomatic.
I didn't know that. In fact, I just Googled if there are asymptomatic carriers of seasonal flu. I'm shocked at what I found out.......50% of influenza infections are asymptomatic. So.........maybe I really have had the flu in my lifetime and all this time I thought I never had the flu. Never had a flu shot either.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,464 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I didn't know that. In fact, I just Googled if there are asymptomatic carriers of seasonal flu. I'm shocked at what I found out.......50% of influenza infections are asymptomatic. So.........maybe I really have had the flu in my lifetime and all this time I thought I never had the flu. Never had a flu shot either.
There's a mixup in terminology. If someone "has the flu" they are infected, and sick. If someone is an asymptomatic carrier, they aren't sick. They are literally a carrier, nothing more or less. They carry the virus in their persons, and spread it to whoever/whatever their facial orifice moisture lands on when they sneeze cough clear their throat blow their nose cry talk.

So if you've never been sick with the flu - you've never had the flu. But you STILL might have been a carrier. It's not common though, for someone to be an asymptomatic carrier of the H1N1 influenza virus. Most people who are infected have at least some symptoms.

Coronavirus is a whole other animal. It's not an influenza virus - it's completely different.

The "common cold" is a coronavirus by the way.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:18 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
GoodLife,

Oh my, here I am, behaving in an excruciatingly tacky manner by quoting myself. How unseemly of me. But my curiosity is getting the better of me so I just have to ask you a question — or two — or three.

Please read my post above and then explain to me, in your own words, how anti-maskers are not guilty of trampling the economy even deeper into the hole.

I just heard a report on “Marketplace Money” that talked about the velocity of money. I was not familiar with the term. Now, I am.

The velocity of money has sloooooowed waaaaaaay down, of course. Anti-maskers might try thinking a little further. Like I said above, people who want to go out and spend are intimidated by the anti-maskers who have allowed themselves to be goaded into ridiculous, divisive behavior. (That intimidation factor is usually subtle, but can be shockingly overt and even violent.)

You seem to delight in bashing those who think masks might help — you know — the ones who seem to care about others, in addition to their own health. And I guess it’s a given that you ain’t agonna wear no mask. BUT could you please explain how anti-maskers are good for the economy — in your own words? No links. No graphs. No charts.

Boomer
O

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
LOL A long time ago I posted a thread titled "We've been had" in which I stated that Fauci and others lied to us when they said we don't need masks, they don't work, you aren't trained to fit them properly. I also posted a graph showing that countries who promoted use of masks by all were doing better in terms of covid 19 case numbers. That was the period in this pandemic where masks wearing by the public would have done something in terms of mitigation with cases going up every day.

That thread was deleted, probably because who knows who complained to the moderators for some reason.

I've commented in various threads that if I were to go into a supermarket or other building with people in it, I would wear a mask. But since only N95 masks offer true protection, and I don't have any, I don't enter buildings other than my own home and haven't for over 2 months. So I am not intimidating any maskers anywhere and am spending money by buying online and supporting the economy like a true American! My money has great velocity! I spend the same per month as I always have, except for gas and travel.

So I was promoting use of masks before it became fashionable, but I got deleted.

The whole mask frenzy is amusing. There has not been a new case in Sumter County for four days. I'd post a link to prove it but I'm agonna grant your request not to.

Well, GL, I gotta give you points for responding in your own words. No links. No graphs. No charts.

But (sigh) you did not actually answer my question which asked if you could explain away the obvious irony that the derisive, divisive behavior of anti-maskers is harmful to the bricks and mortar economy.

Although you did not address my question, your post spoke volumes. Turns out, you said you are in your own home where you have been for two months, and spending money online.

I was surprised by that and found it really interesting. (We are being very careful, too, like so many of us boomers — and beyond — ensconced in our gilded cages. We would really like to get out, but, for now, it does not feel like it’s time. I am a gardener and have been picking things up curbside. I really want to go into my favorite greenhouses but do not want to be near those who think this is all some kind of over reaction or hoax.)

Anyway, what I do not understand is why you post so many things bashing Dr. Fauci and others who are doing their best to help protect us from an invisible enemy.

Such posts validate the anti-maskers, even though you say you are not out among ‘em — another glaring irony. Is it simply that old routine of “holding someone’s coat while they go fight”? Whatever it is, it seems incongruous, now that you have said you are staying home.

To say that you find the the whole mask frenzy to be “amusing,” is a statement that I do not find to be at all amusing.

Our country has less than 5% of the world’s population but 30% of cases worldwide and over 28% of deaths. Is that “amusing” too?

Pinching and mincing those ugly stats to play some kind of bizarre blame game accomplishes nothing other than further division — and calculated diversion. Those are some big percentages and the room for error that can be found does not provide real comfort.

We are in big trouble as a nation. The virus is an invisible enemy. Good and brilliant people are working hard to rescue us. We can do only the best we can as individuals to try to mitigate the spread.

As enemies go though, we cannot forget what Pogo said.

Last edited by Boomer; 05-28-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
O
Well, GL, I gotta give you points for responding in your own words. No links. No graphs. No charts.

But (sigh) you did not actually answer my question which asked if you could explain away the obvious irony that the derisive, divisive behavior of anti-maskers is harmful to the bricks and mortar economy.

Although you did not address my question, your post spoke volumes. Turns out, you said you are in your own home where you have been for two months, and spending money online.

I was surprised by that and found it really interesting. (We are being very careful, too, like so many of us boomers — and beyond — ensconced in our gilded cages. We would really like to get out, but, for now, it does not feel like it’s time. I am a gardener and have been picking things up curbside. I really want to go into my favorite greenhouses but do not want to be near those who think this is all some kind of over reaction or hoax.)

Anyway, what I do not understand is why you post so many things bashing Dr. Fauci and others who are doing their best to help protect us from an invisible enemy.

Such posts validate the anti-maskers, even though you say you are not out among ‘em — another glaring irony. Is it simply that old routine of “holding someone’s coat while they go fight”? Whatever it is, it seems incongruous, now that you have said you are staying home.

To say that you find the the whole mask frenzy to be “amusing,” is a statement that I do not find to be at all amusing.

Our country has less than 5% of the world’s population but 30% of cases worldwide and over 28% of deaths. Is that “amusing” too?

Pinching and mincing those ugly stats to play some kind of bizarre blame game accomplishes nothing other than further division — and calculated diversion. Those are some big percentages and the room for error that can be found does not provide real comfort.

We are in big trouble as a nation. The virus is an invisible enemy. Good and brilliant people are working hard to rescue us. We can do only the best we can as individuals to try to mitigate the spread.

As enemies go though, we cannot forget what Pogo said.
That's it...in a nutshell.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:53 AM
Gold member

Obviously a mask will do no good...it can only do more harm.

How much coronavirus is needed to infect everyone on Earth? - YouTube
Old 05-29-2020, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Trust Index: Here’s why Florida, medical examiners are reporting different number of COVID-19 deaths

I can't find where the statistics are posted for Sumter County that shows the latest death.
Can some one tell me?
Old 05-29-2020, 08:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Boomer

But (sigh) you did not actually answer my question which asked if you could explain away the obvious irony that the derisive, divisive behavior of anti-maskers is harmful to the bricks and mortar economy

First of all, the whole premise of your original questions to me assumed I was an anti masker, which I explained in my reply was ridiculous since I posted long ago that we were being lied to about masks, a post that was complained about and deleted. I don't think you will find posts by me bashing those who choose to wear masks when they go to the supermarket etc. Since I know only an N95 mask can actually protect me, and they are hard to get (most online ones are counterfeit), I just order curbside pickup. Brick and Mortar stores love online customers, because the sales are more profitable.

I did answer it, told you I was first to post on this forum that the "no masks" policy first put out by Fauci and CDC was a lie, that public use of them by some countries seemed to be slowing the pandemic, a post that got deleted, probably by some anti maskers who are now ardently shaming those who do not use them. Talk about an irony that speaks volumes LOL. Since I know that only an N95 mask can really protect me, I chose wisely to order online, including from many "Brick and Mortar" stores. Is this "speaking volumes" to you yet?

I'm not cowering at home in the closet either, I am playing golf again daily, go for swims, walks, bike rides...all activities I can do safely without a mask.

I don't bash Fauci for just his flip flop on masks. He has been catastrophically wrong many times. Threat is miniscule to lock down the whole country. Travel bans don't work to it was the right decision. Pandemics are never spread by the asymptomatic to asymptomatic are at least 35% of cases and they are spreaders. It's very dangerous to lift the lockdowns now to extended lockdowns could be catastrophic to country. Second wave is inevitable to not inevitable. If this guy was treating me for a disease and flip flopped this many times he would get fired, I don't care how nice a guy he is.

I'm not holding someone's coat while they go fight. If someone wants to wear a homemade cloth mask at Publix to show they care its fine with me. Knowing the science, I chose to order online and avoid indoor spaces mask or not. I am pretty sure my money goes into the same till so it's ridiculous to assume I am hurting brick and mortar or completely online outlets in any way.

It's amusing because of the gigantic 180 degree flip flop that medical authorities, the public, and posters on this forum have committed. The science on viral respiratory infections and how they spread has been known for ages. They spread through aerosols, cough/sneeze droplets, and contaminated surfaces. Please don't try to say Fauci and others don't know this, or didn't know it before their flip flop.

Pinching and mincing those ugly stats to play some kind of bizarre blame game accomplishes nothing other than further division — and calculated diversion.

I can assure you that any stats I present are not ugly and what the heck does "pinching and mincing" have to do with mathematics? Any numbers I give you are the best I can find or calculate. If you don't like the conclusions I draw you are welcome to do your own research.

PS If anybody deserves 5 stars for exemplary behavior in this pandemic it's me. I haven't stepped foot in a building other than my own home for over two months, haven't been closer than 20 feet to another human being, and mask or no mask, my chances of asymptomatically infecting anyone else are as close to zero as you can get.

Last edited by GoodLife; 05-29-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Trust Index: Here’s why Florida, medical examiners are reporting different number of COVID-19 deaths

I can't find where the statistics are posted for Sumter County that shows the latest death.
Can some one tell me?
http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_pa...s_20200529.pdf

Scroll down to any county you want
Old 05-29-2020, 05:34 PM

If a naked man pees on your foot it will get wet. If the same man is wearing pants his pants get wets not your foot! Get it?
Old 05-29-2020, 08:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am a retired nursery school teacher...…….and YOU ARE??? Were you or are you involved in a medical career? You are an intelligent man and have given us a lot of good information, but sometimes you seem to want to best people. Being first and being smartest doesn't help any of us. All our talk will not change the minds of those who think the whole thing is overblown and foolishness. Those people seriously believe that this is just like the seasonal flu that has killed people yearly. There are many who think that this is an engineered event from another country meant to retaliate against the U.S. There are some who feel that no matter what chances we take, we must restart the economy. There are those who are a bit scared themselves and taunt others calling them paranoid...which means I think having an unbased fear of catching this disease. No one has come out and said in my presence that it mostly is killing old people who are about to die anyhow but I have a strong suspicion that those words have been spoken among some groups. I haven't ever known people to act so negatively. I am saddened and angered by a lot of what I read. We olders are so fortunate that we can stay where we are and be alright. Many of us are just waiting to see how this all plays out.
I completely agree with you. The unpublished side is the suffering that is going on with the children. The psychological impact on them for years to come.

Instead omg we must do this and that. It is Madness what is going on.

We have to stop this Political Madness and get back to the present we are Americans be brave.

C'mon stop the lockdown, be honest for a change, get on with the Election stop the BS.

We are smart enough to make up our own minds.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
I completely agree with you. The unpublished side is the suffering that is going on with the children. The psychological impact on them for years to come.

Instead omg we must do this and that. It is Madness what is going on.

We have to stop this Political Madness and get back to the present we are Americans be brave.

C'mon stop the lockdown, be honest for a change, get on with the Election stop the BS.

We are smart enough to make up our own minds.
Whoa...election, you say.

You skipped over getting the economy back in gear, July 4th, addressing a number of important issues (stimulus pkg, race problems, upcoming Supreme Court decisions, and so much more).

Guess no secret what is on your mind

Oh, and of course addressing getting everyone back to normal safely. But,that election is important...much more than getting the country in order.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:25 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Whoa...election, you say.

You skipped over getting the economy back in gear, July 4th, addressing a number of important issues (stimulus pkg, race problems, upcoming Supreme Court decisions, and so much more).

Guess no secret what is on your mind

Oh, and of course addressing getting everyone back to normal safely. But,that election is important...much more than getting the country in order.
You lost me at "race problems", you were doing good before and after though.

Steve
Old 05-30-2020, 05:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Whoa

Whoa on your views. Let's let the ones who believe the masks are not needed and encourage them to continue with this logic which goes against 99% of the experts. After all the more that get the virus the more who's blood we can use to fight getting the terrible illness! Once they get it, it is too late to say they should have worn a mask! They are giving the mask wearers a gift and we are fighting their gift. Best advise is to stop fighting and trying to convince them to wear a mask and go back to sleep.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:40 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Boomer

But (sigh) you did not actually answer my question which asked if you could explain away the obvious irony that the derisive, divisive behavior of anti-maskers is harmful to the bricks and mortar economy

First of all, the whole premise of your original questions to me assumed I was an anti masker, which I explained in my reply was ridiculous since I posted long ago that we were being lied to about masks, a post that was complained about and deleted. I don't think you will find posts by me bashing those who choose to wear masks when they go to the supermarket etc. Since I know only an N95 mask can actually protect me, and they are hard to get (most online ones are counterfeit), I just order curbside pickup. Brick and Mortar stores love online customers, because the sales are more profitable.

I did answer it, told you I was first to post on this forum that the "no masks" policy first put out by Fauci and CDC was a lie, that public use of them by some countries seemed to be slowing the pandemic, a post that got deleted, probably by some anti maskers who are now ardently shaming those who do not use them. Talk about an irony that speaks volumes LOL. Since I know that only an N95 mask can really protect me, I chose wisely to order online, including from many "Brick and Mortar" stores. Is this "speaking volumes" to you yet?

I'm not cowering at home in the closet either, I am playing golf again daily, go for swims, walks, bike rides...all activities I can do safely without a mask.

I don't bash Fauci for just his flip flop on masks. He has been catastrophically wrong many times. Threat is miniscule to lock down the whole country. Travel bans don't work to it was the right decision. Pandemics are never spread by the asymptomatic to asymptomatic are at least 35% of cases and they are spreaders. It's very dangerous to lift the lockdowns now to extended lockdowns could be catastrophic to country. Second wave is inevitable to not inevitable. If this guy was treating me for a disease and flip flopped this many times he would get fired, I don't care how nice a guy he is.

I'm not holding someone's coat while they go fight. If someone wants to wear a homemade cloth mask at Publix to show they care its fine with me. Knowing the science, I chose to order online and avoid indoor spaces mask or not. I am pretty sure my money goes into the same till so it's ridiculous to assume I am hurting brick and mortar or completely online outlets in any way.

It's amusing because of the gigantic 180 degree flip flop that medical authorities, the public, and posters on this forum have committed. The science on viral respiratory infections and how they spread has been known for ages. They spread through aerosols, cough/sneeze droplets, and contaminated surfaces. Please don't try to say Fauci and others don't know this, or didn't know it before their flip flop.

Pinching and mincing those ugly stats to play some kind of bizarre blame game accomplishes nothing other than further division — and calculated diversion.

I can assure you that any stats I present are not ugly and what the heck does "pinching and mincing" have to do with mathematics? Any numbers I give you are the best I can find or calculate. If you don't like the conclusions I draw you are welcome to do your own research.

PS If anybody deserves 5 stars for exemplary behavior in this pandemic it's me. I haven't stepped foot in a building other than my own home for over two months, haven't been closer than 20 feet to another human being, and mask or no mask, my chances of asymptomatically infecting anyone else are as close to zero as you can get.

Just a couple of things back atcha this morning, GL, and then I am going outside to tend my flowers.

First of all, about those numbers — why did you ignore my numbers?

To review: The United States has less than 5% of the world’s population, but 30% of the world’s cases, and over 28% of the world’s deaths. That’s the big picture and it is shameful and ugly and should never be like that. Are those percentages also “amusing” to you.

You said your pandemic behavior has been exemplary because you have not been closer than 20 feet to anybody for the past two months and you want 5 stars for that because you cannot infect anybody.

Well, about those stars — I can award you all 5 stars for self-preservation as you are definitely watching out for yourself — yourself.

But what I just don’t get is that even though you are being extra careful by taking precautions to protect your own health, you continue to post things that encourage others not to do so. In fact, many of your posts seem to be intended to add wind to the sails of those who are out there flaunting simple safety precautions.

Why don’t you preach what you practice?

Boomer

PS: Oh well, I think we are simply different personality types. The only thing we probably have in common is that we like to argue — once in a while, anyway.

Now, I really am going outside to take care of my flowers. I will be listening to NPR while I do that. Then later I might curl up with my latest issue of Atlantic — that’s the one with the cover story about conspiracy theories. Hey, maybe you would like to read that, too, and we can “discuss” it sometime.

Last edited by Boomer; 05-30-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Just a couple of things back atcha this morning, GL, and then I am going outside to tend my flowers.

First of all, about those numbers — why did you ignore my numbers?

To review: The United States has less than 5% of the world’s population, but 30% of the world’s cases, and over 28% of the world’s deaths. That’s the big picture and it is shameful and ugly and should never be like that. Are those percentages also “amusing” to you.

You said your pandemic behavior has been exemplary because you have not been closer than 20 feet to anybody for the past two months and you want 5 stars for that because you cannot infect anybody.

Well, about those stars — I can award you all 5 stars for self-preservation as you are definitely watching out for yourself — yourself.

But what I just don’t get is that even though you are being extra careful by taking precautions to protect your own health, you continue to post things that encourage others not to do so. In fact, many of your posts seem to be intended to add wind to the sails of those who are out there flaunting simple safety precautions.

Why don’t you preach what you practice?

Boomer

PS: Oh well, I think we are simply different personality types. The only thing we probably have in common is that we like to argue — once in a while, anyway.

Now, I really am going outside to take care of my flowers. I will be listening to NPR while I do that. Then later I might curl up with my latest issue of Atlantic — that’s the one with the cover story about conspiracy theories. Hey, maybe you would like to read that, too, and we can “discuss” it sometime.
Oh Snap!
Closed Thread

Tags
masks, paranoia, 99%, microbial, long

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.