Mask Paranoia

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2020, 11:00 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Just a couple of things back atcha this morning, GL, and then I am going outside to tend my flowers.

First of all, about those numbers — why did you ignore my numbers?

To review: The United States has less than 5% of the world’s population, but 30% of the world’s cases, and over 28% of the world’s deaths. That’s the big picture and it is shameful and ugly and should never be like that. Are those percentages also “amusing” to you.

You said your pandemic behavior has been exemplary because you have not been closer than 20 feet to anybody for the past two months and you want 5 stars for that because you cannot infect anybody.

Well, about those stars — I can award you all 5 stars for self-preservation as you are definitely watching out for yourself — yourself.

But what I just don’t get is that even though you are being extra careful by taking precautions to protect your own health, you continue to post things that encourage others not to do so. In fact, many of your posts seem to be intended to add wind to the sails of those who are out there flaunting simple safety precautions.

Why don’t you preach what you practice?

Boomer

PS: Oh well, I think we are simply different personality types. The only thing we probably have in common is that we like to argue — once in a while, anyway.

Now, I really am going outside to take care of my flowers. I will be listening to NPR while I do that. Then later I might curl up with my latest issue of Atlantic — that’s the one with the cover story about conspiracy theories. Hey, maybe you would like to read that, too, and we can “discuss” it sometime.
First, I commend you for being a gardener! My dad had a great tiered vegetable garden in his back yard. Every time I visited my mon would prepare an awesome salad made from freshly picked lettuces, herbs, and vegetables from that garden. He also had a fondness for tulips.

Now, I am not in any way amused by the fact that the USA was hit very hard by this virus, over 100k killed so far. My amusement re the mask frenzy is that I was the first to post a thread here warning people that Fauci and CDC were lying to us about masks, my thread got deleted, and the fact is that during the early stages of the pandemic is when they would have done the most good. Now I'm a mask basher endangering people? That's pretty funny.

2nd. I do practice what I preach. My exemplary 5 star behavior, staying outside of all buildings, staying 20 feet away from people, is designed not only to protect myself from the virus but also all others in case I was an asymptomatic carrier. The people that have insisted on going to supermarkets, even if they wear a cloth mask, are engaging in more risky behavior than I am. Those people can still catch the disease, and they can still spread it. I have also posted threads warning people that coughs, sneezes, even talking by infected individuals can spread virus clouds much further than 6 feet and hang in the air for hours.

I see a lot of misinformation posted here about how covid 19 spreads and what different masks will do to protect you. The most dangerous is aerosol spread, infected individuals eject these just by talking or by dry coughing, and these are the smallest particles, they can hang in the air for hours in enclosed spaces, and the only mask capable of stopping them is an N95 respirator mask. These particles go through surgical and cloth masks like a chain link fence. Second most dangerous are sneeze droplets, these are larger and fall to the ground quicker, and cloth/surgical masks can stop them with various degrees of success but not even close to 100%. They are better than nothing at all but they are not totally efficient in preventing one from getting infected, or preventing an infected individual from spreading the virus to others while wearing one. The third vector of transmission, contaminated surfaces, is thought to be less of a factor, but still something to be aware of.

So, when I looked at the science, my solution to protect myself, and others, was to stay out of buildings altogether and maintain at least 20 feet of distance outdoors.

Enjoy your garden, its a nice day, possible rain later.

Last edited by GoodLife; 05-30-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:16 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
First, I commend you for being a gardener! My dad had a great tiered vegetable garden in his back yard. Every time I visited my mon would prepare an awesome salad made from freshly picked lettuces, herbs, and vegetables from that garden. He also had a fondness for tulips.

Now, I am not in any way amused by the fact that the USA was hit very hard by this virus, over 100k killed so far. My amusement re the mask frenzy is that I was the first to post a thread here warning people that Fauci and CDC were lying to us about masks, my thread got deleted, and the fact is that during the early stages of the pandemic is when they would have done the most good. Now I'm a mask basher endangering people? That's pretty funny.

2nd. I do practice what I preach. My exemplary 5 star behavior, staying outside of all buildings, staying 20 feet away from people, is designed not only to protect myself from the virus but also all others in case I was an asymptomatic carrier. The people that have insisted on going to supermarkets, even if they wear a cloth mask, are engaging in more risky behavior than I am. Those people can still catch the disease, and they can still spread it. I have also posted threads warning people that coughs, sneezes, even talking by infected individuals can spread virus clouds much further than 6 feet and hang in the air for hours.

I see a lot of misinformation posted here about how covid 19 spreads and what different masks will do to protect you. The most dangerous is aerosol spread, infected individuals eject these just by talking, and these are the smallest particles, they can hang in the air for hours in enclosed spaces, and the only mask capable of stopping them is an N95 respirator mask. These particles go through surgical and cloth masks like a chain link fence. Second most dangerous are sneeze droplets, these are larger and fall to the ground quicker, and cloth/surgical masks can stop them with various degrees of success but not even close to 100%. They are better than nothing at all but they are not totally efficient in preventing one from getting infected, or preventing an infected individual from spreading the virus to others while wearing one. The third vector of transmission, contaminated surfaces, is thought to be less of a factor, but still something to be aware of.

So, when I looked at the science, my solution to protect myself, and others, was to stay out of buildings altogether and maintain at least 20 feet of distance outdoors.

Enjoy your garden, its a nice day, possible rain later.

Thank you, GL. Ah, yes, tulips. Many years ago, I went tulip-crazy in response to a catalog from Breck’s. Those pictures were glorious.

I blissfully spent a blue fortune, ordering bulbs that promised many colors — red, pink, yellow, purple, even chartreuse, and black, too. Some had ruffles.

I then spent a whole day, early that November, planting those things. I even buried them in chicken wire to keep underground and digging critters from getting them. Spring came. Gorgeous. My work had paid off — or so I thought.

Then one morning I looked out the kitchen window and there was Bambi, gobbling up tulips just like popcorn. I took a shot — with my camera — and I never planted tulips again, although I do love them.

Now, about our back-and-forth other stuff here: I hope I do not sound like I am going all English teacher on you, but I really must give that old advice I gave so many times — about how to answer essay questions. The advice I gave was to first read the question carefully.

I am giving this advice because what I asked you in my earlier post was, “Why don’t you preach what you practice?” I had turned the phrase around but you missed that wording.

But then, your answer actually turned out pretty much OK anyway. You explained your focus well, and it was good to be reading your own thoughts instead of having to go around link after link. When you used your own words, you clarified things.

Now, before I get any bad press about how an English teacher sure can bastardize the hellouta punctuation and be so free with sentence fragments and start sentences with ‘and’ and be so much in love with dashes, etc., etc., I must say I know I do all those things. I let voice and tone beat stickler.

Well, now that I have cleared up all that, I would like to move forward with what I said earlier about the cover stories from June’s Atlantic.

I know I probably sound like I am assigning homework, but I am not trying to be a smartazz when I say I think you might find some of the articles interesting, thought-provoking, especially the one titled, “How QAnon is Warping Reality and Discrediting Science.” There are others, too, “How Can We Recover From This?” and “The Way Plagues Leave Societies Altered Forever.”

Reading articles in Atlantic magazine can take up an entire afternoon sometimes but that gives the brain a little workout by invoking critical thinking skills instead of letting the highly paid mouths on the various “news” channels tell us what to think. I really do hope you will at least peruse the June issue, in addition to your other research.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Boomer, Rm. 101

Last edited by Boomer; 05-30-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Amazing, you would never believe common sense would become a P statement,but somehow the masks have been made into that.
Don't forget the fact that "common" sense to one individual is often "non" sense to another

Fred
Old 05-30-2020, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Thank you, GL. Ah, yes, tulips. Many years ago, I went tulip-crazy in response to a catalog from Breck’s. Those pictures were glorious.

I blissfully spent a blue fortune, ordering bulbs that promised many colors — red, pink, yellow, purple, even chartreuse, and black, too. Some had ruffles.

I then spent a whole day, early that November, planting those things. I even buried them in chicken wire to keep underground and digging critters from getting them. Spring came. Gorgeous. My work had paid off — or so I thought.

Then one morning I looked out the kitchen window and there was Bambi, gobbling up tulips just like popcorn. I took a shot — with my camera — and I never planted tulips again, although I do love them.

Now, about our back-and-forth other stuff here: I hope I do not sound like I am going all English teacher on you, but I really must give that old advice I gave so many times — about how to answer essay questions. The advice I gave was to first read the question carefully.

I am giving this advice because what I asked you in my earlier post was, “Why don’t you preach what you practice?” I had turned the phrase around but you missed that wording.

But then, your answer actually turned out pretty much OK anyway. You explained your focus well, and it was good to be reading your own thoughts instead of having to go around link after link. When you used your own words, you clarified things.

Now, before I get any bad press about how an English teacher sure can bastardize the hellouta punctuation and be so free with sentence fragments and start sentences with ‘and’ and be so much in love with dashes, etc., etc., I must say I know I do all that. I let voice and tone beat stickler.

Well, now that I have cleared up all that, I would like to move forward with what I said earlier about the cover stories from June’s Atlantic.

I know I probably sound like I am assigning homework, but I am not trying to be a smartazz when I say I think you might find some of the articles interesting, thought-provoking, especially the one titled, “How QAnon is Warping Reality and Discrediting Science.” There are others, too, “How Can We Recover From This?” and “The Way Plagues Leave Societies Altered Forever.”

Reading articles in Atlantic magazine can take up an entire afternoon sometimes but that gives the brain a little workout by invoking critical thinking skills instead of letting the highly paid mouths on the various “news” channels tell us what to think. I really do hope you will at least peruse the June issue, in addition to your other research.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Boomer, Rm. 101
Your mention of the articles you have read got my attention. I hope you don't mind me interjecting because I feel strongly that we are in the grips of multiple conspiracies, and have rapidly descended into third world status (culturally and morally).

I am very suspicious of those who always mention "conspiracies" but having done much research, I feel very strongly that the conspiracies we face are veiled in a place from which those engaged are always accusing others.

Not allowed to talk much on here, but I subscribed to twitter for one reason...to stay in touch with what is being "preached" and it is scary as heck. Scary, because it is not accidental,but fulfillment of goals set a number of years back to disassociate our country from the world among others.

Sounds nuts, but I am just scared.

Sorry agan
Old 05-30-2020, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffresh View Post
Don't forget the fact that "common" sense to one individual is often "non" sense to another

Fred
Absolutely agree with you. While we obviously disagree on the mask issue, to ME it is common sense to protect me and mine from an "enemy" that I, nor experts do not understand. Bravado offers no help in this battle.

Agan, my agony is that this is now in the P arena, and that is puzzling to me
Old 05-30-2020, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Absolutely agree with you. While we obviously disagree on the mask issue, to ME it is common sense to protect me and mine from an "enemy" that I, nor experts do not understand. Bravado offers no help in this battle.

Agan, my agony is that this is now in the P arena, and that is puzzling to me
None!!
Old 05-30-2020, 07:38 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Interesting read and thoughts on the spread of the virus -> Coronavirus hopes and fears center on 'immunity'
Old 05-30-2020, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

Now, before I get any bad press about how an English teacher sure can bastardize the hellouta punctuation and be so free with sentence fragments and start sentences with ‘and’ and be so much in love with dashes, etc., etc., I must say I know I do all those things. I let voice and tone beat stickler.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Boomer, Rm. 101

Hmm. Maybe you'll find Little Fires Everywhere understimulating...
Old 05-30-2020, 07:52 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Hmm. Maybe you'll find Little Fires Everywhere understimulating...
Nope. I wanna take your advice on that book, and I think it’s agonna work out fine. I bet I will get into it. Might listen to it on Audible though because then I can multitask. (Ha! Who am I kidding. Like I ever multitask.)
Old 05-30-2020, 08:03 PM

I like when you wrote Out of respect of others..so important to be caring about others. Thank you and I will wear my mask also.
Closed Thread

Tags
masks, paranoia, 99%, microbial, long

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.