Mask Paranoia

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2020, 07:36 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts
Default Mask Paranoia

We initially were told by the surgeon general and also some of the doctors on the presidents team that wearing masks was unnecessary and that their only value was primarily psychological. They were not lying to you!
Why did they change this? Who knows... maybe to appease a paranoid population? 99% of the face coverings I see are useless. Viruses are microbial. You can not hide from them. How long is it going to take for this ridiculous paranoia about a virus that is 99% survivable to go away? I am somewhat encouraged as I am seeing more and more folks like myself that have discarded the masks.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I feel very safe here..The Villages is blessed with 120,000 health experts
Old 05-14-2020, 07:42 AM

The Flat Earth Society is always looking for new members.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:47 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorejh View Post
We initially were told by the surgeon general and also some of the doctors on the presidents team that wearing masks was unnecessary and that their only value was primarily psychological. They were not lying to you!
Why did they change this?

As more was learned about the virus, things changed.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
I feel very safe here..The Villages is blessed with 120,000 health experts
I am proud to be one of them.😎
Old 05-14-2020, 08:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Why did they change this? Who knows... maybe to appease a paranoid population? 99% of the face coverings I see are useless. Viruses are microbial. You can not hide from them. How long is it going to take for this ridiculous paranoia about a virus that is 99% survivable to go away? I am somewhat encouraged as I am seeing more and more folks like myself that have discarded the masks.
Well, if you don't wear the mask, at least wear this - you no doubt have a few in the closet>
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	74639681-young-man-in-a-tin-foil-hat-poses-funny-faces-afraid-of-radiation-or-aliens.jpg
Views:	5065
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	84112  
Old 05-14-2020, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Actually, the masks have a useful purpose in the appropriate setting. Yes, viruses are very small, but they are spread in small droplets when a person coughs or sneezes, and even in some cases talking, especially if the spit when pronouncing "P's" The mask will stop them from spreading it to OTHER people. It does little to protect the person wearing the mask

Over 99% of all human to human viral transmission occurs indoors. So wearing a mask when you cannot guarantee 6 foot spacing at all times indoors makes some degree of sense. Outdoors they are basically useless. Yet some rec center rules require them outdoors---probably politics vs. science. Then there are those that seem to live in a mask---driving their car, cart or bicycle, walking, etc. That's fine if it makes them happy, not as fine if they feel obligated to say something to other people not wearing a mask, who clearly have a better understanding of epidemiology than they do.

Personally, I wear a mask at grocery store and retail store, if only out of respect to those who are a bit afraid. I never wear it outdoors since the facts show it is unnecessary. But I don't think anyone should summarily dismiss masks all together.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
I am proud to be one of them.😎
How so???? Your OP would seem to indicate otherwise.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
As more was learned about the virus, things changed.
No. When Dr Fauici and the CDC told us to skip the mask they already knew the virus spread by droplets from sneezes, coughs etc This has been known about viruses for a long time, before this current pandemic. Nothing changed except they reversed course.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Well, if you don't wear the mask, at least wear this - you no doubt have a few in the closet>
Cute But irrelevant. You just expose yourself as part of the problem. Enjoy your paranoia
Old 05-14-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
How so???? Your OP would seem to indicate otherwise.
Just playing along with the sarcastic Original statement. 😎
Old 05-14-2020, 08:42 AM
Veteran member

From the very beginning, it was recommended that those who were infected wear masks to help prevent the spread to others. Health experts have always unequivocally stated that anything other than properly fitted N95 masks will not block the virus.

When it became clearer that asymptomatic people could still be contagious, the thinking evolved that everyone should be masked as a precaution. Wearing a mask helps limit the spread of larger droplets that are emitted when we speak, sneeze, and cough. Outbreaks like the choir practice in Washington show what can happen.

Mask wearing doesn't need to be 100% effective for me to think it's a good idea, nor does it cause me any harm to do so. I also have no issue with other mandatory health and safety codes, OSHA regulations, airport security screening, non-smoking ordinances, or private businesses establishing rules for wearing shirts and shoes.

But then, I'm a rule follower by nature. On a macro level, "live free or die" holds little appeal. On the positive side for those who disagree, my non-confrontational and introverted personality also means I would never speak up to chide someone else in public.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:46 AM

Well, what I was wondering about in regards to masks and gloves is that if they’re so effective why can’t we just issue them to our prison populations instead of letting them back into society? They could social distance unless they,re cell mates.

(The letters and punctuation are not coming out right.)
Old 05-14-2020, 08:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
From the very beginning, it was recommended that those who were infected wear masks to help prevent the spread to others. Health experts have always unequivocally stated that anything other than properly fitted N95 masks will not block the virus.

When it became clearer that asymptomatic people could still be contagious, the thinking evolved that everyone should be masked as a precaution. Wearing a mask helps limit the spread of larger droplets that are emitted when we speak, sneeze, and cough. Outbreaks like the choir practice in Washington show what can happen.

Mask wearing doesn't need to be 100% effective for me to think it's a good idea, nor does it cause me any harm to do so. I also have no issue with other mandatory health and safety codes, OSHA regulations, airport security screening, non-smoking ordinances, or private businesses establishing rules for wearing shirts and shoes.

But then, I'm a rule follower by nature. On a macro level, "live free or die" holds little appeal. On the positive side for those who disagree, my non-confrontational and introverted personality also means I would never speak up to chide someone else in public.
To be a bit more precise, from the very beginning it was requested that those who had the infection SELF QUARANTINE for 14 days---no going out even with a mask
Old 05-14-2020, 08:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Cute But irrelevant. You just expose yourself as part of the problem. Enjoy your paranoia
NOT paranoia. Simply a measure of safety, in case I AM infected, and a 'carrier' to others. The mask simply inhibits (to a degree) MY exhaling/coughing/sneezing from affecting others around me. period. There are so many studies showing this.

My 'exposure' as you say is a simple attempt to lighten things up - not a "problem'. I respect all views - but please don't impact others if you have a chance, as small as it might be, to infect others around you. I happen to be smack in the middle of the High Risk group - so please stay more than 6' away.

If you choose NOT to wear a seatbelt...OK - your choice, and it MAY kill you, as well as increase avg car insurance. If you drink and drive...it affects all others on the road.
Your choice, but...

Tags
masks, paranoia, 99%, microbial, long

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.