Masks Help Stop the Spread of Coronavirus

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2020, 04:41 PM
Default Summary of the data

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Page View Post
They do. They don’t. YIKES.
I had a visual which clearly represented the situation in a clear and logical way. Since I cannot duplicate the visual part exactly, I will summarize the message. There are 3 situations depicted.

1. Carrier w/o mask to healthy contact w/mask: probability of transmission = 70%
2. Carrier w/mask to healthy contact w/o mask: probability of transmission = 5%
3. Carrier w/mask to healthy contact w/mask: probability of transmission = 1.5%

Conclusion: It is best when both parties wear a mask; it is best to stay away from anyone not wearing a mask. This is particularly true in this county (Sumter) which has the highest median age in the country.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:20 PM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I will reiterate and make it simple to understand. Folks that fear those that do not wear masks should NOT be shopping, etc. where they might be subjected to maskless subjects going about their lives. It is not law, and it is NOT anyone's responsibility for your safety but yourself. Sunday, my spouse and I accompanied my brother and his spouse to a restaurant for dinner. The best I could do under the circumstances was to make sure that my spouse was not seated near anyone else but our dinner party. This was OUR choice. It was not up to us to shame anyone else in the restaurant for not wearing a mask. We all decided to be there and we took our chances. If anyone suggests that I was being careless toward the safety of the other diners because we did not wear a mask, then I suggest that they should not lower their immunity system by stressing themselves out. If you do not want to be around those that do not wear masks, then don't go out. You cannot make anyone wear a mask so why bother attempting to force them by shaming them into wearing the masks? Like I said, I shop while wearing a mask. I do it for my spouse, not me. I do not care if you wear a mask or not. Just don't cough on me or I am liable to get ticked off. Demanding others to wear a mask is being kind of arrogant, in my opinion. And to suggest that I don't care about my fellow citizen, just means that you do not know me.
I think the traffic analogy was a fair one. Stepping out into traffic and getting hit is YOUR problem not the driver's fault. The one about shooting does not fit. To make it correlate to the analogy, one should say something like "if you go to a shooting range and walk out in front of the shooter and get shot, it is not their fault for your ignorance to your own safety.
So, if you don't want to be around folks that are not safety conscious (maskless) then don't put yourself in harms way. PERIOD.
No finer expression of the selfish me-first position.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I was in Barnes & Nobles at LSL yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon and the place had a decent amount of people shopping. There was about ten people waiting in line to pay when I suddenly heard a woman in line started yelling at another woman a few feet away who was browsing, "Get Away From Me, you don't have a Mask". Then everyone in line starting saying yelling at the woman without the mask and then her husband came over, who didn't have a mask and he started yelling back. Then three employees came over and we had about 20 people all yelling, I was waiting for the cops to come, but it finally ended when the employees gave the couple masks and they put them on.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Science constantly builds on its base of knowledge. Hypothesis proven, begets new hypothesis, thus expanding the frontier of knowledge. Science is as close as you get to mathematics, which is as close as you get to absolute, irrefutable knowledge.
And science is LOADED with "agenda-driven research", begetting "agenda-driven results", where some work backwards from the result that is desired, to achieve that result. You would be naïve to think otherwise. Most "scientific" research is done by scientists who are financially underwritten by government or large corporations, i.e. those with an agenda. There are countless examples to prove this! As with most things associated with government, they're either corrupt or inefficient or both and, almost always, Unconstitutional - another irrefutable fact

Fred
Old 06-24-2020, 10:11 AM

They help if you are wearing on and you sneeze and/or cough. Just like washing your hands often.
It’s a tool to use for your own protection, just like washing. I personally don’t want to be a carrier and spread it to others. I would at least like to lessen the impact of my self being transferring any germs. Yes. There are still germs! Nothing man made is 100%!!
But it is a tool like so many others that a person could use. Why is this so hard for people to understand?
The point is to lessen the chances for everyone, not a me- me -me mentality.
Again, nothing man made has ever been 100%.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonster View Post
1. Carrier w/o mask to healthy contact w/mask: probability of transmission = 70%
2. Carrier w/mask to healthy contact w/o mask: probability of transmission = 5%
3. Carrier w/mask to healthy contact w/mask: probability of transmission = 1.5%
All random numbers drawn out of a hat. We know nothing about the flu yet. Maybe next year this time.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
There does not seem to be a point for this message to be posted on a discussion about masks.
I don't think you are "grasping" what is being inferred by the poster's quotes

Fred
Old 06-24-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
No, that is not correct. Once there is an effective vaccine or an effective treatment for Covid, mask wearing will probably be a thing of the past. We are in the middle of a pandemic and must deal with this "new" normal as best we can and we need to do what is right. Mask wearing is just one method to mitigate this virus.

We all hope to be back to the real normal eventually. So.......no we will not have to wear masks every day forever.
Good luck with that one (unless you believe everything Bill Gates tells you). You're more likely to get a nanochip from the vaccine than immunity

Fred
Old 06-24-2020, 11:20 AM

"Once there is an effective vaccine or an effective treatment for Covid"

Like the HIV cure that's been around for decades. lol Covid spreads by direct contact. So does HIV. Condoms are still sold by the millions/billions not only to prevent kids you know.

Last edited by nututv; 06-24-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:53 PM
Michael Charles

I was at the Sharon Morse center with my wife this morning (she had an appointment) I sat outside for about an hour and a half half just enjoying the outside fresh air (for the most part). I observed many people going in and coming out of the center. A sign posted on the door stating "masks are requested" I'm pleased to report that almost everyone had a mask on. I'm pleased to know that so many people have the respect for OTHER people that they wore masks. I'm probably not a carrier (no symptoms and have practiced SD for over 3 months now) but I wear a mask just in case, because I respect your health and well being. I wish others would respect my health and well being in the same manner.

Last edited by Michael Charles; 06-25-2020 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:15 PM

I am in total agreement. Please everybody, follow the CDC guidelines and stay safe.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:56 PM
Default Mask hysteria

As of this morning July 1, 2020 the state of Florida is reporting 145,000 cases of coronavirus. 3400 deaths. Do the math that is hovering just above above 2%. The annual flu kills 60,000 people a year in the United States approximately 1% die of influenza every year so this Caronavirus’ death rate is going lower and lower every day. As for myself I have no intentions of wearing a mask. I will honor social distancing I will not come near you, hug you or kiss you or blow in your direction, or shake your hand. If you feel that you want to live in a cocoon and not go to restaurants, if you want to look ridiculous and wear your mask while you’re driving around by yourself in your car with your air-conditioning on you go right ahead as far as I am concerned I am going to live my life normally and if I was to get this virus I am very confident that I will be one of the 98% that will fully recover from it. Years from now they’re going to look back at this and realize how absolutely ridiculous the reaction was to this Virus. Throughout history there has been outbreaks of viruses never have Americans ever reacted like this before.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:33 PM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown View Post
As of this morning July 1, 2020 the state of Florida is reporting 145,000 cases of coronavirus. 3400 deaths. Do the math that is hovering just above above 2%. The annual flu kills 60,000 people a year in the United States approximately 1% die of influenza every year so this Caronavirus’ death rate is going lower and lower every day. As for myself I have no intentions of wearing a mask. I will honor social distancing I will not come near you, hug you or kiss you or blow in your direction, or shake your hand. If you feel that you want to live in a cocoon and not go to restaurants, if you want to look ridiculous and wear your mask while you’re driving around by yourself in your car with your air-conditioning on you go right ahead as far as I am concerned I am going to live my life normally and if I was to get this virus I am very confident that I will be one of the 98% that will fully recover from it. Years from now they’re going to look back at this and realize how absolutely ridiculous the reaction was to this Virus. Throughout history there has been outbreaks of viruses never have Americans ever reacted like this before.
Actually, one day you will realize that your actions were selfish and just another me-first approach to life. Unfortunately, there is a lot of that in this country these days.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:31 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I was in Barnes & Nobles at LSL yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon and the place had a decent amount of people shopping. There was about ten people waiting in line to pay when I suddenly heard a woman in line started yelling at another woman a few feet away who was browsing, "Get Away From Me, you don't have a Mask". Then everyone in line starting saying yelling at the woman without the mask and then her husband came over, who didn't have a mask and he started yelling back. Then three employees came over and we had about 20 people all yelling, I was waiting for the cops to come, but it finally ended when the employees gave the couple masks and they put them on.

Can you imagine if the scene you describe had been recorded and was out all over the world, like the last infamous TV encounter, now seen by millions.

By the way, Meta Minton was interviewed a couple of days ago on “All Things Considered.” If you Google Meta Minton and NPR, you will find the transcript, along with a 3-minute listen. The interviewer asks her also about how TV is handling the virus.
Closed Thread

Tags
masks, stop, spread, coronavirus, great

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.