Masks! What are they good for? Maybe -- could be -- YOURSELF.

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2020, 07:20 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Masks! What are they good for? Maybe -- could be -- YOURSELF.

The United States of America has only 4.5% of the world's population, but we have more than 25% of the world's Covid cases and more than 25% of the world's Covid deaths. What's wrong with this picture????

The article I am linking for you here says that masks can offer the wearer some protection -- though how much varies greatly, depending on the type of mask. The writer goes into detail on choosing from different types of masks.

Turns out that they are starting to think that maybe, just maybe, "the life you save may be your own."

A User's Guide To Masks: What Types Offer The Best Protection? : Goats and Soda : NPR

Boomer
Old 07-02-2020, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

In all fairness, I think that having a larger percentage of cases has to do with our information tracking and our culture and our healthy economy and our "out there" attitude with information. I really think that probably, after the chips fall, and people are counted and buried all over the world, that the Covid-19 virus will have killed equally, everywhere. Although, there seems to be a discrepancy in race and my first question is this, are people affected more seriously because of a blood type or a genetic link?

There are many questions and not time for scientists to evaluate carefully, not only how the virus spreads, but how it affects certain people . We are seeing tid-bits of information about infants and small children having a localized rash and skin inflammation. We are hearing some news of a thickened blood causing strokes in younger people. When all these bits and this anecdotal information is processed carefully then and only then will we know how serious this damned virus is.

Until then, as they say in Ohio, it is better to be safe than sorry. Please wear a mask in public and please don't make fun of people wearing masks and do what you can to stay healthy and on this side of the grass. This to all reading this post.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The latest that I recall hearing is that the masks are not intended to protect the wearer but the people around the wearer.

Has that changed?

I also recall the task force stating that it's very difficult to contract the virus outdoors and it's almost impossible to contract it outdoors when the temperature is above 77 degrees.

Has that all been changed.

Isn't it also the case that a mask worn for a long time can damage the lungs of the wearer? Didn't a nurse die from a lung issue brought about by having to wear a mask through several shifts?

I understand that the experts are learning new things about this virus every day, but what is the latest information on masks? Has what I just posted changed?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:06 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
The United States of America has only 4.5% of the world's population, but we have more than 25% of the world's Covid cases and more than 25% of the world's Covid deaths. What's wrong with this picture????

The article I am linking for you here says that masks can offer the wearer some protection -- though how much varies greatly, depending on the type of mask. The writer goes into detail on choosing from different types of masks.

Turns out that they are starting to think that maybe, just maybe, "the life you save may be your own."

A User's Guide To Masks: What Types Offer The Best Protection? : Goats and Soda : NPR

Boomer
Thanks for the informative link.

I've always found NPR to be an excellent source.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I am still curious what the anti mask crowd thinks when they enter a public place without a mask.....screw y'all.....or thank you for protecting me?

No different than the millions who continue to smoke...knowing it can kill them.

It ain't gonna change.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Here is new evidence that masks do protect the wearer.........

Wearing a mask cuts own risk of novel coronavirus by 65 percent, experts say | Fox News

Tags
masks, article, worlds, covid, 25%

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.