Mayo Clinic Jacksonville

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Mayo Clinic Jacksonville

Recently I had a colonoscopy here in TV and was told that they found a mass in my colon. They said the next step was to have a laprascopic procedure to remove the mass since it was in a difficult place to access. This procedure is done under general anesthesia which is something I wanted to avoid. Went to Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville and was completely astoundred by the level of care I received. After an extensive physical, they removed the mass by performing a colonoscopy (not general anesthesia) and found it to be benign. Another shock was the price of the care, way below anything I have had in the past. They do not want to be paid until I receive my medicare and insurance back and then I pay them. Beautiful hospital, lovely campus and everyone spoke english. The drive was approximately 3 hours, mostly scenic back roads and very doable. I wanted to share this experience so that my neighbors here in TV know that there are excellent heath care facilities close by. Viva Mayo Clinic.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Platinum member
Default Yea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Recently I had a colonoscopy here in TV and was told that they found a mass in my colon. They said the next step was to have a laprascopic procedure to remove the mass since it was in a difficult place to access. This procedure is done under general anesthesia which is something I wanted to avoid. Went to Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville and was completely astoundred by the level of care I received. After an extensive physical, they removed the mass by performing a colonoscopy (not general anesthesia) and found it to be benign. Another shock was the price of the care, way below anything I have had in the past. They do not want to be paid until I receive my medicare and insurance back and then I pay them. Beautiful hospital, lovely campus and everyone spoke english. The drive was approximately 3 hours, mostly scenic back roads and very doable. I wanted to share this experience so that my neighbors here in TV know that there are excellent heath care facilities close by. Viva Mayo Clinic.
So glad to hear that all is well. Good news is always such a blessing.

I had two ear surgeries there in January and October of 2007, and like you, I was very impressed. I don't know if you remember or not, but the literature you're given prior to treatment at their facility explains that all the doctors are salaried and function as a team...thus no competition among them. Mayo is all about the patients. There are also accommodations on campus so family can be close by or patients who are on an outpatient basis or have to be there several days for testing, etc. can be right there. (I kinda have an inside track because my son lives in Jacksonville and we didn't require their accommodations.) The hospital was under construction when I was there so I was sent up the street to St. Luke's. On campus is much better, but St. Luke's was superior as well.

Again, congratulations!
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 05-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Dear, Duffysmom, I am so thankful that it was benign and that you are fine. Thanks for sharing the information about Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Dear Duffy's Mom.

I am so happy to hear that the mass was benign and that the Mayo Clinic was a positive for you.

I was wondering what we would do if such news came to us. Now I know that it is a doable thing.

I hope you will have a quick recovery and know that you are in our happy thoughts tonight.

Feel this hug.

Kindest wishes.

Gracie
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
After an extensive physical, they removed the mass by performing a colonoscopy (not general anesthesia) and found it to be benign.
You must be very relieved. I am very happy to hear such excellent news.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:06 AM

So glad you got such great news!

I'll share a story about Mayo from our experience. My husband has had lung cancer (so far, so good), and our oncologist wanted to have one of the major centers do an evaluation. He asked if we had a preference between Mayo, Moffitt, or Shands. We said we really didn't know much about any of them and we'd take his advice. He then said that he would ask us to go to Mayo. He told us, that while he interacts with all three centers, Mayo is the absolute top one in his book.

Again, congratulations on your news, and BRAVO for you for taking care of yourself!
Old 05-14-2010, 03:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Mayo

So good to hear great news....Good info to pass on....Thanks
Old 05-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Wink Thank You Friends

Thank you neighbors for all your kindness. My husband and I are so relieved and we want everyone to know about the incredible health care available. It's not a cart ride away but close enough.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Thumbs up Mayo Clinic & RBOI

I had the pleasure of attending the open house at RBOI in the Villages Saturday. It was a nicely attended event that included a tour of their office showing their Radiation treatment machines etc. Dr. Norman Anderson gave a short talk clearing up many misconceptions about the Moffitt cancer center, Morse, and the Leesburg hospital Admins. He basically exposed how us Villagers were being mislead by false inaccurate information about the donations of the project.

There were many good things to be learned by attending this open house tour, including the announcement that RBOI is now affiliated with the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, and very soon, there will be clinical trials available in the Villages through the cooperation of Mayo Clinic and RBOI at the RBOI office in the Villages. This is huge because those of us from up north are already familiar with the Mayo Clinic as a well respected care center. It's nice to see this come to us locally here in the Villages.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Hmmm. A little ole' American competition may have been the catalyst to bring this affiliation about.

An ill wind doth blowith some good.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Dancing Thyme

Congratulations, Duffy's mommy. I'm so glad for you.... but I have a question..... when you decided to go to the Mayo clinic, did you need a referral from your doctor or another way to put it is,,, how do you know which doctor to use for the surgery at the Mayo?

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Default Mayo

I have also had surgery there, but since then I was informed by Mayo that they would no longer take my new medicare advantage plan. So before you go contact the business office to see if they will take your coverage or what options you have for payment. They are first class..
Old 12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Sage

Duffysmom:

Congrats that the mass was benign. Thank you for posting a positive experience that others would benefit from.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Great News , Makes the whole day seem a little brighter .

Also very informative .....thanks

fumar
Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Good news Duffysmom.
A close friend of mine was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He and his wife researched the best place to go and are headed to Mayo in Jacksonville.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.