Mayo Clinic: Vaccine effectiveness against Delta dropping

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2021, 11:45 AM
Default Mayo Clinic: Vaccine effectiveness against Delta dropping

Mayo Clinic study is in preprint, not peer reviewed yet

New data on coronavirus vaccine effectiveness may be "a wakeup call"

A new preprint study that raises concerns about the mRNA vaccines' effectiveness against Delta — particularly Pfizer's — has already grabbed the attention of top Biden administration officials.

What they're saying: The study found the Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against infection in July, when the Delta variant was dominant. "If that's not a wakeup call, I don't know what is," a senior Biden official told Axios.

Driving the news: The study, conducted by nference and the Mayo Clinic, compared the effectiveness of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines in the Mayo Clinic Health System over time from January to July.

Overall, it found that the Moderna vaccine was 86% effective against infection over the study period, and Pfizer's was 76%. Moderna's vaccine was 92% effective against hospitalization and Pfizer's was 85%.

But the vaccines' effectiveness against infection dropped sharply in July, when the Delta variant's prevalence in Minnesota had risen to over 70%
Moderna was 76% effective against infection, and Pfizer was only 42% effective.
The study found similar results in other states.

For example, in Florida, the risk of infection in July for people fully vaccinated with Moderna was about 60% lower than for people fully vaccinated with Pfizer.

Between the lines: The two shots both use mRNA, but there are significant differences between them.

For example, Moderna is given in a stronger dose than Pfizer, and there is a slightly different time interval between shots.

"There are a few differences between what are known to be similar vaccines .... None of these variables is an obvious smoking gun, although the dosing amount seems the most likely to be a factor," Moore said.

article:

New data on coronavirus vaccine effectiveness against Delta raises concern among Biden administration - Axios

actual study

Comparison of two highly-effective mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 during periods of Alpha and Delta variant prevalence | medRxiv
Old 08-11-2021, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Did the study indicate when the shots were given? Pfizer said the effectiveness of their vaccine wanes over time. I’d like to see data on breakthrough illness from the time of full immunization.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Did the study indicate when the shots were given? Pfizer said the effectiveness of their vaccine wanes over time. I’d like to see data on breakthrough illness from the time of full immunization.
Study was conducted from January-July 2021. You can read it by clicking on 2nd link in OP
Old 08-11-2021, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S=kBlogW View Post
Study was conducted from January-July 2021. You can read it by clicking on 2nd link in OP
I looked at the whole article but I can’t see anywhere the question I am looking for. Which is how much does the effectiveness of the phizer or moderna vaccine drop over time against the same variant? Somewhere I read about 6% decline each month or more after the 4 or 5th month of full immunization - I wish I saved the article. That way we could each individually estimate how safe we still might be after our vaccination.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I looked at the whole article but I can’t see anywhere the question I am looking for. Which is how much does the effectiveness of the phizer or moderna vaccine drop over time against the same variant? Somewhere I read about 6% decline each month or more after the 4 or 5th month of full immunization - I wish I saved the article. That way we could each individually estimate how safe we still might be after our vaccination.
Good question, the abstract says they look at over 50 thousand individuals, half vaccinated and half not, from January to July 2021, so you probably have a good mix of months from vaccination. Abstract does state that they record date of vaccination for each participant so perhaps this info is in the paper somewhere. Here is a link to the full study, let us know if you find anything.

Comparison of two highly-effective mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 during periods of Alpha and Delta variant prevalence | medRxiv
Old 08-11-2021, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Every reporter, news agency, main stream media makes a headline out of covid studies that meet their agenda.

The agenda? Confusion and fear.

Anyone want to guess how many different "studies" there are or have been regarding covid "anything".

Authenticity? Never mind roll the presses!!!
Old 08-11-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Every reporter, news agency, main stream media makes a headline out of covid studies that meet their agenda.

The agenda? Confusion and fear.

Anyone want to guess how many different "studies" there are or have been regarding covid "anything".

Authenticity? Never mind roll the presses!!!
Hmmm The Mayo Clinic is one of the most respected medical/science institutions in the world. The numbers reported in the article are exactly the same as those in the actual study (linked above) so I wouldn't call in inflammatory journalism.

This isn't the best news but I would rather keep up to date than hide my head in the sand. Even though I have the more effective Moderna vaccine, I'm going back to Hermit mode (masks are useless) until this wave subsides or they start giving out booster shots.

I expect this data will be on the nightly news shortly, unless they suppress it for some reason.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I found a graph in the full text version of the study.

f1-large-jpg

At the bottom it shows rises in infection over time since vaccination. Pfizer (blue) rises more, especially toward the end. This could be vaccine effectiveness going down over time or less effectiveness against the Delta as it started to dominate.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:57 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

A new preprint study that raises concerns about the mRNA vaccines' effectiveness against Delta — particularly Pfizer's — has already grabbed the attention of top Biden administration officials.

What they're saying: The study found the Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against infection in July, when the Delta variant was dominant. "If that's not a wakeup call, I don't know what is," a senior Biden official told Axios.

Driving the news: The study, conducted by nference and the Mayo Clinic, compared the effectiveness of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines in the Mayo Clinic Health System over time from January to July.

Overall, it found that the Moderna vaccine was 86% effective against infection over the study period, and Pfizer's was 76%. Moderna's vaccine was 92% effective against hospitalization and Pfizer's was 85%.

But the vaccines' effectiveness against infection dropped sharply in July, when the Delta variant's prevalence in Minnesota had risen to over 70%

For example, in Florida, the risk of infection in July for people fully vaccinated with Moderna was about 60% lower than for people fully vaccinated with Pfizer.

Between the lines: The two shots both use mRNA, but there are significant differences between them.

For example, Moderna is given in a stronger dose than Pfizer, and there is a slightly different time interval between shots.

"There are a few differences between what are known to be similar vaccines .... None of these variables is an obvious smoking gun, although the dosing amount seems the most likely to be a factor," Moore said.

article:

New data on coronavirus vaccine effectiveness against Delta raises concern among Biden administration - Axios

actual study

I expected as much just like the annual flu it changes unfortunately kind of expect there may be a booster required and the debate will continue. Its a choice either you get it or don’t
Old 08-11-2021, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Hmmm The Mayo Clinic is one of the most respected medical/science institutions in the world. The numbers reported in the article are exactly the same as those in the actual study (linked above) so I wouldn't call in inflammatory journalism.

This isn't the best news but I would rather keep up to date than hide my head in the sand. Even though I have the more effective Moderna vaccine, I'm going back to Hermit mode (masks are useless) until this wave subsides or they start giving out booster shots.

I expect this data will be on the nightly news shortly, unless they suppress it for some reason.
I accept organizations like Mayo. My reference was intended for the Heinz 57 variety studies and loose reporting.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
I expected as much just like the annual flu it changes unfortunately kind of expect there may be a booster required and the debate will continue. Its a choice either you get it or don’t
I think you're correct. Take a look at this article recapping a podcast with Dr. Robert Malone. He's apparently the guy that came up with the science used by Moderna and Pifzer to make their vaccines.

Public health experts must check 'egos at the door,' adjust COVID policy, says mRNA pioneer | Just The News

He agrees the vaccines are less effective on the variants. Believes we should be focusing more on early onset treatment as there are very good anti-inflammatory drugs to treat this "hyperinflammatory disease". Also mentions instead of adjusting to the new findings, the CDC is suppressing dissent and discussion.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,316 Times in 499 Posts

I don't worry about the "infection rate." The DEATH rate is more important. Even if the vaccination is weaker and more folks that are vaccinated can become infected, the idea is whether or not they need to be hospitalized or if they may die.
The vaccinations may or may not have contributed to controlling the wild fire of Covid related deaths, so now let this virus run it's course so that the survivors can get on with their lives.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

article:

actual study

COVID Breakthrough Risk May Be Lower With Moderna Than Pfizer Vaccine, Study Finds – NBC New York
Old 08-11-2021, 09:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Excellent article and I hope EVERYONE reads it through to the end. The covid 19 vaccines are not a panacea and it is not because of the unvaccinated that covid is morphing. There needs to be a new treatment development for the inflammatory factors of this disease when contracted. The CDC needs to take a new treatment tact now if people are going to survive in the long run.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Excellent article and I hope EVERYONE reads it through to the end. The covid 19 vaccines are not a panacea and it is not because of the unvaccinated that covid is morphing. There needs to be a new treatment development for the inflammatory factors of this disease when contracted. The CDC needs to take a new treatment tact now if people are going to survive in the long run.
You're right but people don't want to hear that. They are so scared of this virus they don't want to even think about treatment, only how to avoid getting it. That's natural I suppose, but it's like saying I never want to catch a cold or get the flu. It's unrealistic. there are bound to be more variants - after all this is a coronavirus like the common cold and there are hundreds of strains of that. We have to accept it and adjust and find common sense solutions other than total avoidance which isn't going to work.

Last edited by Escape Artist; 08-12-2021 at 12:33 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
study, vaccine, effectiveness, pfizer, effective

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.