Mayo Clinic: Vaccine effectiveness against Delta dropping

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2021, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,317 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
Leaked report reveals Moderna COVID vaccine caused 300,000 vaccine injuries in three-month span, hidden from VAERS;
Source: naturalnews.con 8/11/2021

What is considered a "vaccine injury?" Punctured skin, broken needles?
Old 08-12-2021, 07:40 AM
Default No test for Delta variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by S=kBlogW View Post
Mayo Clinic study is in preprint, not peer reviewed yet

New data on coronavirus vaccine effectiveness may be "a wakeup call"

A new preprint study that raises concerns about the mRNA vaccines' effectiveness against Delta — particularly Pfizer's — has already grabbed the attention of top Biden administration officials.

What they're saying: The study found the Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against infection in July, when the Delta variant was dominant. "If that's not a wakeup call, I don't know what is," a senior Biden official told Axios.

Driving the news: The study, conducted by nference and the Mayo Clinic, compared the effectiveness of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines in the Mayo Clinic Health System over time from January to July.

Overall, it found that the Moderna vaccine was 86% effective against infection over the study period, and Pfizer's was 76%. Moderna's vaccine was 92% effective against hospitalization and Pfizer's was 85%.

But the vaccines' effectiveness against infection dropped sharply in July, when the Delta variant's prevalence in Minnesota had risen to over 70%
Moderna was 76% effective against infection, and Pfizer was only 42% effective.
The study found similar results in other states.

For example, in Florida, the risk of infection in July for people fully vaccinated with Moderna was about 60% lower than for people fully vaccinated with Pfizer.

Between the lines: The two shots both use mRNA, but there are significant differences between them.

For example, Moderna is given in a stronger dose than Pfizer, and there is a slightly different time interval between shots.

"There are a few differences between what are known to be similar vaccines .... None of these variables is an obvious smoking gun, although the dosing amount seems the most likely to be a factor," Moore said.

article:

New data on coronavirus vaccine effectiveness against Delta raises concern among Biden administration - Axios

actual study

Comparison of two highly-effective mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 during periods of Alpha and Delta variant prevalence | medRxiv
A recent Covid-19 patient asked his doctor if his case of Covid was the Delta variant, and the doctor replied he couldn’t know because there is no test for the Delta variant. The are guessing it is.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Default Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
You're right but people don't want to hear that. They are so scared of this virus they don't want to even think about treatment, only how to avoid getting it. That's natural I suppose, but it's like saying I never want to catch a cold or get the flu. It's unrealistic. there are bound to be more variants - after all this is a coronavirus like the common cold and there are hundreds of strains of that. We have to accept it and adjust and find common sense solutions other than total avoidance which isn't going to work.
The government has no interest in anything but spreading fear for political gain plain and simple. That is so obvious a blind men can see it. Sorry I didn't want to make it political but if it looks like a duck
Old 08-12-2021, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchap49 View Post
The government has no interest in anything but spreading fear for political gain plain and simple. That is so obvious a blind men can see it. Sorry I didn't want to make it political but if it looks like a duck
There really is a Pandemic. There really was a wave of people who died due to their age and the lack of a vaccine. This happened elsewhere as well, in other countries all over the world.

Now we have a vaccine and it is working really well in keeping people out of the hospital and not dying. It is free here in the U.S. Most people now in the hospital are not vaccinated. I am so sad for them and their families.

I am a person that thinks that nothing is perfect, but I have learned a lot of things as I suddenly got older. Some of my heroes in my teens were Salk and Sabin. I was a volunteer at Columbus Children's Hospital and I saw kids in Iron lungs. Some people are still crippled for the rest of their lives. I remember quarantines for childhood diseases in the forties.

I am a fiscal conservative and dislike a lot of government involvement but I am also a person who respects traditional medicine and bows to minds more intelligent than my own. I am grateful for the vaccine. I wish everyone would get it.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
What is considered a "vaccine injury?" Punctured skin, broken needles?
How about a bruise/black and blue from the point where the needle went in to the elbow.......welt the full length of the upper arm immediately after needle withdrawn.
By the time we got home the bruise replaced the the welt.

Went to the ER and it was diagnosed as a hematoma, not to worry, it will go away.
It took three months to finally "go away".

A very, very isolated incident most likely related to the technique (or lack of it) by the one giving the shot.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher0928 View Post
A recent Covid-19 patient asked his doctor if his case of Covid was the Delta variant, and the doctor replied he couldn’t know because there is no test for the Delta variant. The are guessing it is.
Your post is partly right and partly wrong, but extremely misleading. Of course there is a test for Delta. But it is not the simple five minute nasal swab available at the drug store. Analyzing the RNA of the virus is a more complex test which everyone is familiar with from crime shows. Some hospitals, universities and State and Federal labs and large national lab companies [think Quest] have the equipment to analyze or sequence the RNA. Your routine nasal swab just says yes or no to is Covid present.

If the doctor really said there is no test for Delta Covid, get a new doctor. More likely the doctor said that the test the patient had did not specifically test for Delta vs other variants. Right now the chance the patient had Delta is about 80%. You as a patient or the doctor AFAIK cannot order genomic sequencing on your sample but I may be wrong. Quest and Labcorp has been sequencing some of their positive tests randomly and with the patient ID stripped in cooperation with CDC's ongoing surveillance. Perhaps others are as well.

More testing is needed to see what particular variant is involved. This advanced testing is done to determine which variants are circulating in the community. Both state and national labs do this sequencing to detect shifts in what variants are out there. So now over 80% of the samples being sequenced are Delta
For more information the CDC explains the process and reasoning.. if you accept that the CDC is not some evil organization manipulating the population to create a new world order enforced by black helicopters and Facebook

HERE
and more in depth HERE
and for in depth information on the variants, go HERE
Old 08-12-2021, 08:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,855 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S=kBlogW View Post
Mayo Clinic study is in preprint, not peer reviewed yet

New data on coronavirus vaccine effectiveness may be "a wakeup call"

A new preprint study that raises concerns about the mRNA vaccines' effectiveness against Delta — particularly Pfizer's — has already grabbed the attention of top Biden administration officials.

What they're saying: The study found the Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against infection in July, when the Delta variant was dominant. "If that's not a wakeup call, I don't know what is," a senior Biden official told Axios.

Driving the news: The study, conducted by nference and the Mayo Clinic, compared the effectiveness of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines in the Mayo Clinic Health System over time from January to July.

Overall, it found that the Moderna vaccine was 86% effective against infection over the study period, and Pfizer's was 76%. Moderna's vaccine was 92% effective against hospitalization and Pfizer's was 85%.

But the vaccines' effectiveness against infection dropped sharply in July, when the Delta variant's prevalence in Minnesota had risen to over 70%
Moderna was 76% effective against infection, and Pfizer was only 42% effective.
The study found similar results in other states.

For example, in Florida, the risk of infection in July for people fully vaccinated with Moderna was about 60% lower than for people fully vaccinated with Pfizer.

Between the lines: The two shots both use mRNA, but there are significant differences between them.

For example, Moderna is given in a stronger dose than Pfizer, and there is a slightly different time interval between shots.

"There are a few differences between what are known to be similar vaccines .... None of these variables is an obvious smoking gun, although the dosing amount seems the most likely to be a factor," Moore said.

article:

New data on coronavirus vaccine effectiveness against Delta raises concern among Biden administration - Axios

actual study

Comparison of two highly-effective mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 during periods of Alpha and Delta variant prevalence | medRxiv
Interesting. Thanks for sharing the second link. So many people seem unable to understand that the only way to figure out the efficacy of a vaccine over time is to keep on testing it month by month. They blame drug companies and the CDC for not knowing in advance. Generally, with a new vaccine, it has been tested for several years before it is released, so its longevity is better known. To save lives and businesses, these vaccines were rushed. Who anticipated the giant “lunatic fringe” that would refuse to be vaccinated and so continually put the rest of us at added risk? Who knew we would soon have a more transmissible variant? A booster will be necessary, I think. Perhaps yearly. I seem to recall that 45 years ago, when I moved to Africa and needed a cholera vaccine, it was only good for six months. Then it needed a booster. Flu vaccines are new every year, to an extent. A couple years ago we were told “you can’t catch the same cold twice because you develop antibodies to that virus.” But more recently, researchers have found that those antibodies only last a year or two.

What I’m worried about is the variant that comes along with a much higher death rate than Covid-19. Something more like the Black Plague. It could happen. It only takes a few mutations here and there in an already rampant disease. If it were like the Black Plague, we’d be talking 100 million lost in the U.S. alone. Imagine how that would affect our country. Or our families.

Last edited by MandoMan; 08-12-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:06 AM

Who cares? You can't believe anything the CDC, WHO or Fauci says. If you are vaccinated, quit wearing your masks.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,317 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
Interesting. Thanks for sharing the second link. So many people seem unable to understand that the only way to figure out the efficacy of a vaccine over time is to keep on testing it month by month. They blame drug companies and the CDC for not knowing in advance. Generally, with a new vaccine, it has been tested for several years before it is released, so its longevity is better known. To save lives and businesses, these vaccines were rushed. Who anticipated the giant “lunatic fringe” that would refuse to be vaccinated and so continually put the rest of us at added risk? Who knew we would soon have a more transmissible variant? A booster will be necessary, I think. Perhaps yearly. I seem to recall that 45 years ago, when I moved to Africa and needed a cholera vaccine, it was only good for six months. Then it needed a booster. Flu vaccines are new every year, to an extent. A couple years ago we were told “you can’t catch the same cold twice because you develop antibodies to that virus.” But more recently, researchers have found that those antibodies only last a year or two.

What I’m worried about is the variant that comes along with a much higher death rate than Covid-19. Something more like the Black Plague. It could happen. It only takes a few mutations here and there in an already rampant disease. If it were like the Black Plague, we’d be talking 100 million lost in the U.S. alone. Imagine how that would affect our country. Or our families.

Why worry about something that you have no control over?
Old 08-12-2021, 09:35 AM
Gold member

Quote:
You can bet N. Korea, Iran, and other rogue nations are busy in their labs trying to create that variant.
They have now seen what chaos and death it can create.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:00 AM

Ahh but the real truth is here.....

https://twitter.com/cdelvallejr/stat...ion-spotify%2F
Old 08-12-2021, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
How about a bruise/black and blue from the point where the needle went in to the elbow.......welt the full length of the upper arm immediately after needle withdrawn.
By the time we got home the bruise replaced the the welt.

Went to the ER and it was diagnosed as a hematoma, not to worry, it will go away.
It took three months to finally "go away".

A very, very isolated incident most likely related to the technique (or lack of it) by the one giving the shot.
I wouldn’t go back to the person who gave you the injection. They sound clumsy! Mine was a quick jab near the top of the shoulder, seriously less than a small mosquito bite. Both times by different people. The next day the muscle in that arm was sore as if I had an upper arm workout at the gym. That was it. The soreness was from the vaccine not the clumsy injector. Gone soon after.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am a person that thinks that nothing is perfect, but I have learned a lot of things as I suddenly got older. Some of my heroes in my teens were Salk and Sabin. I was a volunteer at Columbus Children's Hospital and I saw kids in Iron lungs. Some people are still crippled for the rest of their lives. I remember quarantines for childhood diseases in the forties.
Yes, quarantines for the sick not the healthy. What we experienced last year was the first time the government quarantined healthy people en masse during the lockdowns. That's not the way it's supposed to work or the way you achieve herd immunity, for that matter.

I'm vaccinated too but I also realize, and more are beginning to realize as this unfolds, that it may not offer long-lasting protection. Everyone has to come to grips with that fact and adjust. That means focusing on better treatments because the sad reality is that we will all likely contract a form of COVID to some degree, vaccinated or not.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:

COVID is a coronavirus like the common cold which there never has been a vaccine for so this is new territory for everyone including scientists and doctors. It's the nature of these vaccines that's worrying. While some even doubt the wisdom, efficacy or benefits of getting the seasonal flu vaccines, mRNA is entirely different and maybe getting multiple boosters of genetic-based shot is not the best thing for our immune systems. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise because as we are seeing they don't know themselves.

I have a friend who works for the FDA and works with pharm companies. Very smart guy who has his PhD in the computer tech side of medicine/science. I ran into him in January. He was double-masked and certainly not a COVID denier. When I asked his opinion on the new vaccines they were rolling out, he said he was getting it and urged me to as well but also said the pharm companies, scientists, etc. "just don't know" about long-term efficacy, side effects, etc. (said it to me twice for emphasis) but it was all they had at the moment.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan1717 View Post
I’d like to see the same studies regarding the delta variant fir people that had Covid with natural antibodies. I’ve read that they are more positive in fighting variants but I’d love to see this same study doing a comparison.
I had Covid in December and just recently gave blood it showed antibodies 1 and 2 still in my system same for my husband. I too would like to see a study on this.
Closed Thread

Tags
study, vaccine, effectiveness, pfizer, effective

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.