Mayo Clinic vs Shands

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2017, 06:22 PM
Default Mayo Clinic vs Shands

I recently finished three months of Dr. Appointments which included my Chiropractor (who, after 12 years said he was unable to do anything more to help me and sent me to get a new MRI), to the Neurosurgeon who said to try the Pain management Doctor. Now I've finished having two Epidurals, neither helped me more than 10 days. Of course this took so long because of the long wait to get in to see each Dr. Then two weeks between Epidurals.

Next stop will be Shands or Mayo. Looking for a great doctor who can fix the lower back so I can get on with my life!
Old 10-18-2017, 06:59 PM

We have nothing but good experiences at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL including my brother having a liver transplant. Everything is under one roof and typically you don't have to wait days or weeks between appointments while being assessed. We don't have any personal experience with Mayo on back issues but based on our experience and those of friends we would recommend Mayo.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:03 PM
Platinum member
Question Nerve ablation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny70 View Post
I recently finished three months of Dr. Appointments which included my Chiropractor (who, after 12 years said he was unable to do anything more to help me and sent me to get a new MRI), to the Neurosurgeon who said to try the Pain management Doctor. Now I've finished having two Epidurals, neither helped me more than 10 days. Of course this took so long because of the long wait to get in to see each Dr. Then two weeks between Epidurals.

Next stop will be Shands or Mayo. Looking for a great doctor who can fix the lower back so I can get on with my life!
You don't indicate what your basic problem is, or whether or not you have had surgery. Did the Neurosurgeon do anything other than analyze?

I had major spinal surgery at Shands, done by the Chief and Assistant Chief of Orthopedic Surgery, both were instructors in the University of Florida Medical School.

I did not come out without continued back pain. I am now considering selective nerve ablation in which a doctor places probes in your back while you are awake, seeking nerves that are carrying pain signals to your brain and then destroying those nerves by radio frequency signals.

The way they test for possible effectiveness of this technique is by first using nerve blocks that work for short periods. Success at this level indicates a potential for long term relief. It sounds like you have had the nerve blocks which demonstrate that nerve ablation would be effective.

If I decide to go through with the nerve ablation I will probably use Florida Orthopedic in Tampa which has extensive experience in this technique.

Steven A. Barna, M.D. | Florida Orthopaedic Institute

You might want to ask your Neurosurgeon for an opinion about nerve ablation for your condition.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:

We have never been to Mayo Clinic, but we both think very highly of Shands. My wife had surgery in 2009 by a neurosurgeon at Leesburg hospital. This year she had back issues again, and went back after 8 years to see the neurosurgeon in Leesburg. She was seen by the PA. We decided to do some research on Mayo and Shands, and get a second opinion.We found several folks in The Villages who had gone to Dr. Daniel Hoh at Shands, so we got a 2nd opinion there. He looks at your MRI with you and explains your issues, and what he recommends for you. He also has an X-ray of your back done standing up prior to your consultation.He is very patience with your decision.Dr. Hoh had to remove all the hardware put in her back in 2009, and straighten out her spine, then refuse her spine. This was 6 months ago and she is doing well. I have also had back surgery in 2015 at Leesburg hospital, but am having back pain again. I have now had acupuncture, chiropractor, pain mgmt.,with epidural shots, nerve block, and last was radio frequency ablation I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Hoh in Gainesville. My wife and I have been very pleased with Shands, and we highly recommend Dr. Daniel Hoh. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:07 PM

Thank you so much for your Post. I will definitely add your Doctor's name to my list. I wish you well on your next surgery. Backs are a hard puzzle to solve!
Old 10-19-2017, 01:20 PM

In response to your question. I have been under the care of a great Chiropractor for the past 12 years. But he reached the point that the Decompressions and manipulations were no longer effective. I had a new MRI, followed by a visit with a Neurosurgeon in Ocala. He suggested trying Pain Management as the next step. After two Epidurals, neither of which worked, I am now ready to pursue a different path that would take me to Mayo or Shands.

Thank you for your response. I don't know anything about nerve ablation, but I will research it. I wish you well w if you decide to pursue the procedure, I hope it helps you.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Thankfully I, personally, know NOTHING about back pain or problems with the back. However, my son has suffered for years with severe back pain. He lives in southern NH and went to a spine clinic and was told "we will have you up and walking out of here in about 20 minutes". I begged him to go to New England Baptist in Boston for a second opinion. He ended up having his surgery done there, it was a seven hour surgery, he has rods in his back which will never come out, but after months of therapy he is pain free.

I am telling you this only to emphasize that you need to research and then research some more before you let anyone touch your back. I have had kidney surgery at Mayo and can vouch for them, they are excellent. Have not had to go to Shands, but hear wonderful things about them.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Gold member
Default A great book

Quote:

Sounds like you've been through hell.

Someone suggested a recent book titled CROOKED and it is a scathing review of the BACK PAIN INDUSTRY with some suggestions.

As you probably know our current growth of opioid addiction is often due to doctors prescriptions and patients demanding more etc.

Due to other health issues I cannot take steroids-I think that is what you are calling Epidurals.

Read the book. I sounds crazy but the author reports AND I REPORT, that I've gotten a surprising amount of relief with an exercise program.

Yes, I've been to chiropractor, neuro surgeon, physical therapy. MRI x 2 or was it 3
Closed Thread

Tags
doctor, mayo, long, finished, shands

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.