Medical Alert Systems-- Serious Question Here

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2022, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have never understood why people would pay a monthly fee to call a service that is just going to call 911. Why not carry a cell phone with you at all times? Unless I am missing something.
Yep fall in the shower or anywhere in your home or outside of it. Hit your head, immediate unconscious, possible bleed. If you are alone, you will not be using a cell phone.

A watch with fall alert will fix that problem. One also need good cell reception. If a watch doesn’t work for the person there are devices that can detect falls.

OP if you Think a fall device would give you piece of mind, or you family, then do research. We use cameras for parent home. The insistent of I am doing well on my own, not moving in with someone problem. One in the hall outside of bedroom, kitchen, garage, and front door. Motion set them off for 10sec to minutes. Took less than 2 weeks to find out a fall in the kitchen, went for a drive, (keys removed from home had new key delivered) got lost trying to find an old friend, and the best didn’t leave bedroom for 36 hours(too sick or stubborn to call anyone). Each episode someone was at the house under 5 minutes.

Wake up call, when we all watched the video together, that one can no longer be left on their own. Not a happy camper, but fixed a serious problem.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

I’m still pretty athletic in my early 80’S but I saw this in an article a couple of years ago , it recommended leaving your phone on floor when taking a shower and if you climb up on a step ladder call someone before you do it. I do both. Go Gators
Old 11-05-2022, 03:54 PM
Sage

I knew a lady who had been diagnosed with a neuro motor disorder, who fell in her house and had no way to summon help.. She lay there unattended for four days. She was still alive when help arrived, but did not survive long after being admitted to the hospital. This is a wake-up call. If it takes a medical alert device to call 911, so be it. For all the reasons stated above one's cell phone may not be available
Old 11-05-2022, 07:13 PM
Veteran member

I have an Apple Watch and wear it all the time except when sleeping and it is charging. I fell recently in my closet on the way to the shower, but I had the watch on, it detected the fall and I had to reply or it would have called 911 and my emergency contacts. I wear it in the shower, and the pool… everywhere. When I fell and broke my hip a couple of years ago it saved me. It called 911 for me. Very inexpensive and a lifesaver, plus it has many health functions. You also get texts and notifications and all Apple apps. No brainer.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:52 AM

Another option for home is a digital voice assistant like google home or Amazon Alexa. Black Friday coming up and they often go on sale. They have features to set up so if you need help you can call out to it. “Ok google call my daughter”. “”Alexa call 911”. Lots of tech available to help us age in place at home. (Also cheaper that subscription services and more versatile)
Old 11-06-2022, 05:06 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywt View Post
i am sure some have it. It is piece of mind. Pushing 1 button is easier than calling 911.
most newer phones have an emergency sos feature that calls 911 and contacts you have designated to be alerted
Old 11-06-2022, 06:33 AM
Platinum member

I thank the poster and commenters. There was much to learn and think about and I found it helpful.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:45 AM

my I phone has and emergency button accessible even if the phone is locked. You set it up with
Your medical info and emergency contacts. I hit 911 by mistake and it called 911 and my 4 emergency contacts who called me. The message it left for my friends was XXX has an emergency.

Also Alexa has an app, My Buddy. Good if you fall. You just call out, “Alexa, call my buddies”. It will call, text and email all the people you put on the list. The only issue is some people are tech and Alexa phobic.

Finally, I’m on a text group on neighbors that texts good morning to the group every day. If by noon someone hasn’t checked in, we call. If there’s no response, we show up and knock at their door and if someone doesn’t have a key, we call the police. We’re not necessarily good friends, but we are good neighbors. It’s just peace of mind that someone close by is aware.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have never understood why people would pay a monthly fee to call a service that is just going to call 911. Why not carry a cell phone with you at all times? Unless I am missing something.
You are missing something. My mother has fallen several times and was unable to get phone out of pocket or crawl to phone. The medical alert detects the call and if you don’t respond uses gps to tell exactly where you are so medical personal and relatives are called to let them know. Think also if you pass out from low blood pressure won’t be able to use phone. Fall while getting morning paper or in shower don’t have phone with you. I think here device are great and essential for older people living alone.

Also make sure you either have key in lock box outside your house or neighbor so the medical alert people can tell how to unlock your door when they arrive.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,605 Times in 942 Posts

I would start with an Apple Watch and probably Alexa type devices in the main living area and bedroom/bath.
Only challenge will be unlocking door.

Alexa wont help (and a life alert wont either) if you fall and pass out - so Apple Watch is a great option.
They charge faulty quickly, so charge them when youre sitting or eating. Wear them any other time.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

These days, I have to turn off my Apple watch that has the fall detection service app on it, specially when leaving the local pub to go home.
One night I arrived home, and there was 14 ambulances waiting outside my house!
Old 11-06-2022, 07:18 AM

My experience with 911 is very negative. The first time I had an emergency incident in the parking lot at Brownwood. When I called 911 and told them I was in the parking lot behind the design center at Brownwood they asked for the address. I told them I had no idea what the address is and they repeated what is the address. Telling them again I had no idea they asked again for at least 3 and perhaps 4 times. Fortunately by that time someone from the gathering crowd had called 911 and was apparently able to get an address because after awhile services showed up and we ended up going to the emergency room.
Second example is a friend working at one of the rec centers had a guest fall outside the building. They called 911 and gave the address, but were transferred to 3 different departments before finally getting someone to help.
I have learned to not rely on 911. Something like "Lively" sounds like a good idea to me. As a minimum they will be able to supply location to 911.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Reminder if you fall and become immediately unconscious, a cell, or Alexa will not help.

You need a watch or fall device with you.

Funny true story with Alexa, TV was on tuned to QVC. Product was Alexa, they used my buddy app. Our Alexa responded, call all four of my contacts and 911, while I was in the bathroom. I got 911 canceled, but all 3 kids alert texts sent a flurry of phone calls and texts to me while they were at work (2 in surgery, one teaching).

So if you can respond, Alexa will work Well. We have one in every room, because isn’t it easier to turn on your lights without getting up
Old 11-06-2022, 07:37 AM

My mother, who lived alone, had one. She fell and broke her pelvis. She pushed it and they answered right away. You should designate a person who has a key, a neighbor perhaps, and they will call that person and the medics. My mother had a cell phone but never turned it on and forget about her wearing any hi-tech device. She was very comfortable wearing her LifeAlert necklace. I think it’s a great idea.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:38 AM

I have an Apple Watch with no specific apps related to this on it. Several times when I’ve been using a kitchen utensil to pound something flat, the watch has come alive to ask if I’ve had a fall and offers to call 911. It was easy to press, “decline.” I hope I never have to find out what happens if I don’t.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.