Medical Alert Systems-- Serious Question Here

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
I believe Apple has a "Sudden Impact Watch", (or something like that), which can detect a fall and automatically call for help. I believe you have a certain amount of time to stop the watch from calling in the case of a false alarm.
I can personally attest to the Apple Watch fall detection feature. I fell last year playing pickle ball. I landed backwards and slammed my head to the ground. A retired nurse happened to be present and insisted I stay laying down. When an Apple Watch wearer stays down after a fall, the Watch calls 911, followed by a phone call to an emergency contact. EMTs arrived after I spoke to the 911 operator thru my watch. My husband called me because of the alert he received. Obviously, other people there could have called. I’m only providing this as a real life example of how the Apple Watch works. It is an expensive option though. Besides the upfront cost of the Watch, you would need to pay for the Watch cellular service. This article explains more on how it works: Use Emergency SOS on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

I highly recommend some type of fall alert device, especially for people who live alone. Even if you are not a fall risk, a medical emergency can happen to any of us at our age.
Old 11-06-2022, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinFromPA View Post
Hi Villagers! First time posting here, but I have a serious question. TV is promoted as an active community and it's all about living your best life. Do people wear medical alerts here? I live alone and like the idea of having 24/7 protection if I need it. Curious to know how others feel about this topic?
Why not get an Apple Watch or the latest apple iPhone? The watch knows when you fall and if you don’t respond to the alert on your watch, it will call 911. The watch will learn your movements over time. In the beginning, if I would shake up salad dressing in my left hand, it would prompt me if I fell and wanted to call 911, but after a few of those movements, it doesn’t prompt me anymore. The Apple Watch also provides heart arrhythmias, blood oxygen levels, sleep info and many other things without any monthly fees if you have a iPhone nearby.
The new apple iPhones can determine if you have been in a crash too and call 911 and knows your gps coordinates.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:20 AM

The technology of medical alert necklaces was all there was at one time, but now you are better off getting an Apple Watch with calling capabilities. You can dial 911 from your wrist and it will have your emergency contact info and even your last BP and heart rate.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Hi Villagers! First time posting here, but I have a serious question. TV is promoted as an active community and it's all about living your best life. Do people wear medical alerts here? I live alone and like the idea of having 24/7 protection if I need it. Curious to know how others feel about this topic?
In addition to an Apple Watch being able to call 911 Alexa can call 911.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:29 AM

The Villages introduced a new program called CHIRP (Community Help Initiative Response Program) for those of you who walk alone (or with your dog) at off hours. This is meant of outside only. You wear this lariat around your neck, and if you fall and need help, there's a whistle you can blow. You can get one at the district office at Sumter Landing (The Breezeway between Starbucks & Johnny Rockets) or call 352-753-0550. It's free to all Villagers.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I’m still pretty athletic in my early 80’S but I saw this in an article a couple of years ago , it recommended leaving your phone on floor when taking a shower and if you climb up on a step ladder call someone before you do it. I do both. Go Gators
Absolutely! It's the course of safety (especially for "seasoned citizens") to always keep one's cellphone within reachable distance whether or not wearing a fall-detection device. If you are able to use the phone, you will have the maximum possible control over the handling of your situation, who is notified about it, and whether or not you want assistance.

Last edited by D.Bolen; 11-06-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Yep fall in the shower or anywhere in your home or outside of it. Hit your head, immediate unconscious, possible bleed. If you are alone, you will not be using a cell phone.

A watch with fall alert will fix that problem. One also need good cell reception. If a watch doesn’t work for the person there are devices that can detect falls.

OP if you Think a fall device would give you piece of mind, or you family, then do research. We use cameras for parent home. The insistent of I am doing well on my own, not moving in with someone problem. One in the hall outside of bedroom, kitchen, garage, and front door. Motion set them off for 10sec to minutes. Took less than 2 weeks to find out a fall in the kitchen, went for a drive, (keys removed from home had new key delivered) got lost trying to find an old friend, and the best didn’t leave bedroom for 36 hours(too sick or stubborn to call anyone). Each episode someone was at the house under 5 minutes.

Wake up call, when we all watched the video together, that one can no longer be left on their own. Not a happy camper, but fixed a serious problem.
I can appreciate the caring and wisdom in the above, however, it made me wonder whether, as a senior citizen whose family has access to my home & could theoretically install cameras without my knowledge, I should remain clothed at all times (even when showering) for everyone's sake.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:33 AM
Gold member

There are also Android versions of what commenters have been talking about with the watches & voice activated devices. Samsung smart watches have fall detection. But as with other commenters the watches have value, but are best used in combination with other methods, ie: voice activation & neck pendants.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.bolen View Post
absolutely! It's the course of safety (especially for "seasoned citizens") to always keep one's cellphone within reachable distance whether or not wearing a fall-detection device. If you are able to use the phone, you will have the maximum possible control over the handling of your situation, who is notified about it, and whether or not you want assistance.
unless you lose consciousness
Old 11-06-2022, 05:05 PM
Default Apple Watch

Quote:
I suppose it may matter what type of emergency you could have from what condition....but if you have an Apple Watch (with cellular) like I have....if you fall, it asks if you have fallen, are you OK (easy to respond on the watch), or if you area in an accident.....with out an "OK" response it will call 911 with your exact position in the community. I believe some of the recent model will even monitor and respond for heart conditions and other illnesses. The iPhone is a standard monthly price and the watch is an add on (about 30-50% additional) depending on the carrier.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:00 PM

I wear an iwatch . When I fell the operator calls and alert first responders. My husband and daughter are also alerted with a GPS picture of my location and the adddess. Best Buy will set up your emergency contacts and there is no monthly fee.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I have one for my husband who has Parkinsons disease. It has never been used but on the rare occasions that I may leave him alone for a short time it would be useful since he cannot use a phone to dial 911. He would only have to press the button. His speach is poor but the company is aware of this. Living alone it would be a good idea if you got into the habit of wearing it around your neck while in the house in case of a fall especially in the shower or bathroom. Ours is waterproof. Having a cell phone is good but only if you carry it around the house with you.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:05 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have never understood why people would pay a monthly fee to call a service that is just going to call 911. Why not carry a cell phone with you at all times? Unless I am missing something.
You could be missing something, I certainly did. I'm no authority on the various medical alert items and systems, but.... my aunt (thankfully!) is alive today due to a medical alarm medallion she wears like a necklace. She had an unfortunate incident of going unconscious as a result of diabetes. She was able to "crumble" (don't know how to describe it) to the floor rather than fall flat, but could never have managed a cell phone call. The "medallion" senses a "fall" (or in this case a slow collapse) and calls for EMT help. Previous to this, my thoughts were exactly like yours, thought why not just carry a cell phone and make your own call.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:21 AM
Default Keyless door lock

Regarding emergency personnel to get into the home, would a keyless door lock work? If you were injured and could give them the number or your emergency contacts could give it to them, then they could get in. I don’t know if emergency personnel would have a way to use a special code to get in. If there was a special code, posting it here would not be the best idea.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,967 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
It's not about what other people do or fashion. Wearing a medical device is for your safety. Quit worrying about what everybody else does and concentrate on your health and safety.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.