World longevity

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Sage
Default World longevity

Dan Buettner: How to live to be 100+ | Video on TED.com

Food for thought. Very interesting to listen to.......crank up the sound and start the video at the beginning.........

Dan Buettner: How to live to be 100+

Genetics seems to play the major role in longevity, as does a plant based diet.......but listen to it all..........

Listen to the entire program......re cultures around the world.........

Starting with island of Sardinia...........where men live the longest, etc. and then Okinawa, etc.

p.s. Also , after listening to his entire lecture, scroll down to read the numerous comments by folks who enjoyed his speech..........it was not boring, that's for sure.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Sage

Dan and his team went around the world studying the "Blue Zones". And from that research a book was written titled, "The Blue Zone". I read it a few years ago and found it very interesting. Of course anything about health and longevity is interesting to me.

I'm not sure how long ago I read it, perhaps it was 3 or 4 years ago. So I can't say too much about it. But I seem to recall that it was mostly based on conversations they had with centenarians and those who were close to 100. These were places where people ate mostly natural whole foods and got their exercise through hard work and lots of walking. Also, they had strong family ties. There could be three generations living in one household.

But was it scientific enough to prove anything about genetics? I highly doubt it.

The bottom line: When it comes to longevity, it's about 50/50 between lifestyle/environment and genes. This information comes from the book, "The Independent Gene".

Last edited by Villages PL; 03-21-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Dan and his team went around the world studying the "Blue Zones". And from that research a book was written titled, "The Blue Zone". I read it a few years ago and found it very interesting. Of course anything about health and longevity is interesting to me.

I'm not sure how long ago I read it, perhaps it was 3 or 4 years ago. So I can't say too much about it. But I seem to recall that it was mostly based on conversations they had with centenarians and those who were close to 100. These were places where people ate mostly natural whole foods and got their exercise through hard work and lots of walking. Also, they had strong family ties. There could be three generations living in one household.

But was it scientific enough to prove anything about genetics? I highly doubt it.

The bottom line: When it comes to longevity, it's about 50/50 between lifestyle/environment and genes. This information comes from the book, "The Independent Gene".
Just because someone writes a book on a subject does not mean it is a valid and accepted scientific study. There are rules about studies and anyone can write a book.

By the way, a wonderful genetic breakthrough was on ABC's Diane Sawyers news show this evening It told about a new procedure that enables scientists to remove the bodies own white cells to be genetically reengineered and transfuse them back. It has caused several complete remissions in one form of Leukemia. It was done at Sloan Kettering and NO ONE can sneeze at Sloan-Kettering. I hope we will all live long enough to see this dreadful disease on the ropes, but this is cause for celebration.

I will see if I can find the link. We three all cheered as we watched the show. It is HUGE!!!

Here it is! Leukemia Cure Believed Found in Possible Major Medical Breakthrough | Video - ABC News
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Just because someone writes a book on a subject does not mean it is a valid and accepted scientific study. There are rules about studies and anyone can write a book.

By the way, a wonderful genetic breakthrough was on ABC's Diane Sawyers news show this evening It told about a new procedure that enables scientists to remove the bodies own white cells to be genetically reengineered and transfuse them back. It has caused several complete remissions in one form of Leukemia. It was done at Sloan Kettering and NO ONE can sneeze at Sloan-Kettering. I hope we will all live long enough to see this dreadful disease on the ropes, but this is cause for celebration.

I will see if I can find the link. We three all cheered as we watched the show. It is HUGE!!!

Here it is! Leukemia Cure Believed Found in Possible Major Medical Breakthrough | Video - ABC News
What a delightful and informative post. I hope to live long enough to see a cure for all types of cancer.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

The title tells the whole story: Leukemia Cure? Possible Major Medical Breakthrough. It doesn't say "cure" with an exclaimation mark, it says "cure" with a question mark. First you question a book that was written by an accomplished genetisist and then you change the subject. What does this possible breakthrough have to do with the 50/50 concept of longevity?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
The title tells the whole story: Leukemia Cure? Possible Major Medical Breakthrough. It doesn't say "cure" with an exclaimation mark, it says "cure" with a question mark. First you question a book that was written by an accomplished genetisist and then you change the subject. What does this possible breakthrough have to do with the 50/50 concept of longevity?
In support of Gracie, we also saw the Diane Sawyer report on the evening news and were in awe of the possibilities.

Let's not quibble when some of us get off track........it happens to the best of us, myself included.

Nothing in life is totally black or white........there are always nuances or shades of grey.........what might be good "science" for one, may not be for another. Fate or luck may play a role in our lives...........more so than any of us might imagine.

I've come to the conclusion that if one has good genetics and a deep spirituality or faith in something (outside of oneself) then all things are possible. It's not always about "us".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.